New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2014, 03:38 AM
Find More Posts by Pukin_Dog
┼tvidaberg, Sweden
Joined Jul 2008
292 Posts
Build Log
W-Wing AD3 Flying wing with real profile

This wing came to be since I wanted a wing with a real wing profile and not any KF type. Depron is nice but it do have it's limitations.
The wing is not unique in any way but it's not mainstream either since it has a break in the leading and trailing edge. It also have 2 ailerons and 2 flaps that can be mixed in any way like crow break and flare and so on.

It is made to carry large loads and be used as an FPV plane. The wing profile, "Sipkill", makes it extremely steady and fly's as on rails.

Motor is an 35-30 1100kv with a 10x6 propeller.
AUW is 3360 gr
Wingarea is 53,32 dm^2

Drawings is made in AutoCAD and is in both 1:1 scale and 1:4 or 1:6 scale. The later two is if one doesn't want to print out templates and rather use the Cartesian system to mark it up.

First Flight with AD3 W Wing (2 min 18 sec)

The five parts are marked on Bluecore type of foam.

One way of doing the templates. I used balsa and glued rebar wire that was stretched to it. That worked.

The main parts are glued with PU glue.

Grooves are cut with a Dremel or any other preferred way. I like using a carbid stone and not a mill. The later gives a lot of dust, this just melts the foam.

The whole wing is covered with super light fiber glass (18 gr/m^2) since it makes it super strong and doesn't ad much weight.

Covering is done and excess it cut away.

I mix in a lot of micro balloons in the epoxy to get it more volume for the final layer of epoxy. Not much is needed since most is scraped of. No sanding is required.

Fins is in place. These are made from a form of plastic since I put the servos on the bottom. The servo placement are revised and is now located at the top. Looks had to give way for practicality. The fins at the bottom is not realy needed then and if they are made from Depron or balsa they should any way just be on the top side.

Balsa is glued at the wing where wing and rudders are hinged together.

A triangular balsa list is used on the rudders them self and pin hinges is mounted. I prefer those hinges when there is some balsa.

Plenty of place for battery's and other stuff. On the drawing there is also a center wing piece that is formed as a lifting body. That one has to be formed by hand from a solid block though.

Final installation.

The Quality control at hard work! Do not disturb the hard working mind of these superior beings!
She also doubles as security guard for the wing through it's construction.
Pukin_Dog is offline Find More Posts by Pukin_Dog
Last edited by Pukin_Dog; Yesterday at 11:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2014, 10:10 AM
Find More Posts by Granted
serial scratchbuilder
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,711 Posts
Very cool! What is its' span and AUW? I'm currently building my fourth in that style for fpv:
Granted is offline Find More Posts by Granted
Old May 17, 2014, 11:55 AM
┼tvidaberg, Sweden
Joined Jul 2008
292 Posts
Nice one. Wingspan is 161 cm. I'll get back to you with more info. Has to work. :-(
Last edited by Pukin_Dog; May 18, 2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old May 17, 2014, 11:10 PM
Find More Posts by foamdave
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
2,122 Posts
Pukin_Dog:

Looks good and flies good. What better could you ask for? What is the airfoil you chose?

Many thanks;

Dave-
foamdave is online now Find More Posts by foamdave
Old May 19, 2014, 03:45 AM
┼tvidaberg, Sweden
Joined Jul 2008
292 Posts
The airfoil is "Sipkill", I choose that since it seemed to give a good lift with low drag and have a quite high glide number.
Old Apr 08, 2015, 01:38 PM
Find More Posts by pabmadi
Joined Feb 2009
205 Posts
Hi; the washout is from the profile 2 to profile 3? The other ones don't have any washout? Is there any video to see in flight? Will be a good wing for aerial mappping?
pabmadi is offline Find More Posts by pabmadi
Old Apr 08, 2015, 05:06 PM
┼tvidaberg, Sweden
Joined Jul 2008
292 Posts
Yes, the washout is just as you described it.

I had a clip on my YouTube channel and was sure I had linked it here but it seems like I have done something I shouldn't have done because it isn't there. I am uploading it now and will link it here when done. Probably at the first post though.

It is stable so it will probably be a good platform for that.
Old Apr 09, 2015, 10:02 AM
Joined Feb 2009
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukin_Dog View Post
Yes, the washout is just as you described it.

I had a clip on my YouTube channel and was sure I had linked it here but it seems like I have done something I shouldn't have done because it isn't there. I am uploading it now and will link it here when done. Probably at the first post though.

It is stable so it will probably be a good platform for that.
Thanks! It fly sooo slow! Sorry for the prop

Last question, where is the CG? What are the width measurement of each section, the 2 wing part and the center? I can't find in the plans...
Old Apr 09, 2015, 10:57 AM
┼tvidaberg, Sweden
Joined Jul 2008
292 Posts
The is for some reason not printed. I'll fix that but it is 191 mm from the trailing edge of the center section.

Width for the sections is in Cartesian format since it is easier to use when plotting the shapes to be cut.
Last edited by Pukin_Dog; Apr 09, 2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:08 AM
Joined Feb 2009
205 Posts
I'm almost ready to cut the wing cores... But I don't figure out how to cut the lifting body, does anyone have a photo off it?

It is usefull to add rudder in the vertical stabilasators?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 06:52 PM
serial scratchbuilder
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,711 Posts
The center body would be a straight-cut section with the same airfoil as the wing root.
Rudders don't work on flying wings.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 03:10 AM
┼tvidaberg, Sweden
Joined Jul 2008
292 Posts
Yes as "Granted" said and then use machines and sandpaper to get the form. It is more a hands on forming.

Rudders could actually work, at least that option is in my radio but I have never tried it. If implemented they must be as far back as possible and at the wing tip. Then they may act more like a form of spoiler to help the plane yaw.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:29 AM
serial scratchbuilder
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,711 Posts
The only way to implement rudders on a wing is to use drag-rudders at the wingtip, either on the vert or a split elevon will work.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 03:30 PM
┼tvidaberg, Sweden
Joined Jul 2008
292 Posts
I have to try it on a wing to see how it works. It should be that only one rudder deflects as spoiler but if it has enough sweep of the wing perhaps a more normal function can be used? It should work otherwise it wouldn't be a standard configuration in my radio, it just makes no sense.
Old May 03, 2015, 06:55 PM
Joined Feb 2009
205 Posts
Finished cutting the foam blocks... Time to cut the profiles