New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Bob J, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 09:45 AM
Find More Posts by Bob J
Fond du Lac, WI
Joined Mar 2005
634 Posts
Alert
AMA: Hold Off on Model Registration

Dear AMA Members,

Yesterday, the AMA Executive Council unanimously approved an action plan to relieve and further protect our members from unnecessary and burdensome regulations. This plan addresses the recently announced interim rule requiring federal registration of all model aircraft and unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) weighing between 0.55 and 55 pounds.

AMA has long used a similar registration system with our members, which we pointed out during the task force deliberations and in private conversations with the FAA. As you are aware, AMA's safety program instructs all members to place his or her AMA number or name and address on or within their model aircraft, effectively accomplishing the safety and accountability objectives of the interim rule. AMA has also argued that the new registration rule runs counter to Congress' intent in Section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, otherwise known as the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft."

The Council is considering all legal and political remedies to address this issue. We believe that resolution to the unnecessary federal registration rule for our members rests with AMA's petition before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. This petition, filed in August 2014, asks the court to review the FAA's interpretation of the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft." The central issue is whether the FAA has the authority to expand the definition of aircraft to include model aircraft; thus, allowing the agency to establish new standards and operating criteria to which model aircraft operators have never been subject to in the past.

In promulgating its interim rule for registration earlier this week, the FAA repeatedly stated that model aircraft are aircraft, despite the fact that litigation is pending on this very question. The Council believes the FAA's reliance on its interpretation of Section 336 for legal authority to compel our members to register warrants the Court's immediate attention to AMA's petition.

While we continue to believe that registration makes sense at some threshold and for flyers operating outside of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes, we also strongly believe our members are not the problem and should not have to bear the burden of additional regulations. Safety has been the cornerstone of our organization for 80 years and AMA's members strive to be a part of the solution.

As we proceed with this process, we suggest AMA members hold off on registering their model aircraft with the FAA until advised by the AMA or until February 19, the FAA's legal deadline for registering existing model aircraft.

Holding off on registration will allow AMA time to fully consider all possible options. On a parallel track, it also allows AMA to complete ongoing conversations with the FAA about how best to streamline the registration process for our members.

In the near future, we will also be asking our members to make their voices heard by submitting comments to the FAA's interim rule on registration. We will follow-up soon with more detailed information on how to do this.

Thank you for your continued support of AMA. We will provide you with more updates as they become available.

Kind regards,

The AMA Executive Council
Bob J is offline Find More Posts by Bob J
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2015, 08:00 PM
Find More Posts by hattrick
United States, WI, Oshkosh
Joined Sep 2002
43 Posts
I think that alerts like this should somehow be placed at the top of our forum so that our members see it as soon as they open the page and don't miss a message as important as this.

Mike
hattrick is offline Find More Posts by hattrick
Old Dec 19, 2015, 10:42 PM
Find More Posts by timflight1
Greenville WI
Joined Jul 2007
718 Posts
Good suggestion Mike. It should now be at the top!

Tim
timflight1 is offline Find More Posts by timflight1
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:00 PM
Find More Posts by timflight1
Greenville WI
Joined Jul 2007
718 Posts
Looks like the AMA changed their mind and now they do want us to register before the $5 rebate expires. Only about a week to get this done. Heath put links to the official site on the club website.
http://flyvam.club/?page_id=133
timflight1 is offline Find More Posts by timflight1
Old Jan 17, 2016, 09:07 AM
Find More Posts by riterudder59
Shiocton, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2006
185 Posts
Is this just for drones or all air craft
riterudder59 is offline Find More Posts by riterudder59
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:07 AM
Find More Posts by Bob J
Fond du Lac, WI
Joined Mar 2005
634 Posts
It is the pilot that must register, not the drone (aircraft). The pilot registers one time and places the number assigned to him on all models (helicopter, quadcopter, airplane, or other drone). I believe that AMA members can substitute their AMA number for the FAA assigned registration number.
Bob J is offline Find More Posts by Bob J
Old Jan 18, 2016, 08:09 PM
Find More Posts by Salin
Heath
Appleton, Wisconsin
Joined Aug 2002
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob J View Post
I believe that AMA members can substitute their AMA number for the FAA assigned registration number.
Not at this time. The AMA is trying to talk the FAA into this but as of now you must use the FAA number.

From the FAA website:

Q47. Is putting my AMA number on my drone enough?

A. No. Not at this time. The registration system will generate a unique FAA registration number, which you must mark on your aircraft.

http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/faqs/
Salin is online now Find More Posts by Salin
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:45 AM
Find More Posts by riterudder59
Shiocton, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2006
185 Posts
I wonder if all the bad people will regiser with the FAA
riterudder59 is offline Find More Posts by riterudder59
Old Jan 21, 2016, 06:51 PM
Find More Posts by tr miller
T.R. miller
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Nov 2008
609 Posts
About as many as the bad people who have a concealed carry permit
tr miller is offline Find More Posts by tr miller
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2016, 05:18 PM
Find More Posts by Rich Knapp
LYNX/OXY Team Manager
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jul 2012
286 Posts
I registered while it was free.

I'm so sick of the back and forth every ware about numbers, I'll just put one of each on each side my frame by the lipo, under so when the canopy is on and you don't see it.

Plus then if you get a cop at a event with a hair in his butt, I'm covered.
Rich Knapp is offline Find More Posts by Rich Knapp
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Our Family heli's.