HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2014, 06:01 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,633 Posts
mfr02- has hit the nail on the head as to why the model trains have flywheels on the motors. It also makes the model loco act like itís full scale brother, and not like a nervous and jerky toy with the application of power and likewise when the power is chopped, the engine will coast down. It also duplicates the dynamic breaking feature of the train using the kinetic energy stored in the flywheels.

A scale model of a ship or tug boat with some weight to it, the flywheel effect of the motor would have little effect as far as propeller thrust to counter forward motion of the boat or ship and would rely more on increased rpmís of the propeller in reverse rotation. This is where the torque of the motor comes into play.
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2014, 07:26 AM
Professional Lurker
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
661 Posts
And to throw another log on the fire; could this be a more blatant ripoff of our Lindberg tug?

Same scale (probably the exact same dimensions), same details, same color scheme, same Standard Oil "S" on the stack. Enlarged rudder though. Be interested in seeing if they corrected the too-wide prop area or just copied the whole thing as-is. For some, $140 for a "Lindberg" Tug that's 90% assembled might be attractive, just "request R/C radio with miniature servo and speed control with reverse and paint" and it might tip the scales over $200.
http://www.danvo.com/

More info (box and contents) but considerably more expensive than the MSRP...
http://jethobby.com/_shop/product/pr...l.php?id=12325
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2014, 07:31 AM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,842 Posts
It looks vacuum formed.. Kind of like someone turned a Lindberg kit into a plug and used it for production
RGinCanada is offline Find More Posts by RGinCanada
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2014, 08:12 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,629 Posts
I think I may know this guy from my days as a vendor at the Toledo hobby show.

He bowed out of the show several years ago due to poor sales, but it looks like he is trying his hand at it again with direct marketing.

He specialized in vacform products---.
der kapitan is online now Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jan 30, 2014, 03:30 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Oct 2003
640 Posts
The missing data - 85 foot history

Attached is the missing 85 foot Tugboat history, not great and missing the anchor jpg, but readable.

Peace,
Rich Long
rlboats2003 is offline Find More Posts by rlboats2003
Old Feb 02, 2014, 04:50 AM
Professional Lurker
Joined Jan 2006
661 Posts
That's very interesting Der Kap, that you might possibly know the vendor. The existence of this kit to me looks like a no-no and shows theft of intellectual property but I guess it's only that famous form of flattery: imitation.

Rlboats2003: thanks for the corrected missing tug history document. I never did get around to altering Word to accept older documents saved in earlier versions as it involved some registry editing that I declined doing.

Going back through this thread I found I really like your tug IVYLAND. That is not a stock Lindberg tug. There's a lot of added and altered details. Fine work.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2014, 10:06 AM
Professional Lurker
Joined Jan 2006
661 Posts
Disregard.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Harquebus; Mar 24, 2014 at 07:46 PM.