HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2014, 08:36 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
942 Posts
Discussion
HK EPP GeeBee (1 Meter span)

Just got this model (2 actually, 1 for me and 1 for my Mate) and am pretty impressed with the quality considering the price which you pay. We were going to do a joint project ‘EPP 1 Meter span Shocky type build’ but the raw materials would have cost pretty much what this kit did (€ 60.00 for 2 shipped).
Two profiled wing panels, fuselage and tail feathers, stiffening rods, laser cut plywood UC and engine mount, and a fittings kit are all included. The model is painted (printed) and although it is not perfect it looks OK if you stand back a couple of paces. The instructions are rubbish, enough said.
So far I have fitted the stiffeners (listed as carbon, I think that they are glass) which took some head scratching and ‘trial fitted’ the bits together. The slots for the stiffeners are really pretty nice, they have a slit in the top surface which goes down to a round groove (hole) which is a nice snug fit for the rods. My problem was trying to figure out how to get glue into the hole followed by the rods. After a couple of hours pondering and trying to slide the rods in and out I ‘discovered’ that you can simply push the rods down through the slit on the surface and into the groove!! I then fitted a hypodermic needle onto my medium Cyno bottle, ran a bead of glue along the groove with the needle running in the slit and then used the end of a lolly stick (2 MM wood with a rounded end) to push the rods down through the slit into the groove, quick, simple and 100% effective.
The parts all seem to fit together well and the only point so far was that my elevator hinge line and one of my mate’s aileron hinges were too stiff. I simple sanded a little bit of foam away from the cut faces to reduce the thickness where the hinge line is and now all is well.
Very happy so far, FOR THE PRICE, if I had paid the € 50.00 or so per kit which is what most other models of this size and type currently cost I would have been slightly disappointed but not to the point of sending it back, for € 75.00 I would have sent it back.
Time will tell how she flies and I will keep you posted. My mate is at the advanced beginner stage so we are looking at him using this a as a ‘learn to throw around’ hack model (inverted, knife edge, spins kind of stuff) and I hope that I will have an everyday model which will at least be capable of hovering and sustained knife edge circuits and which will take the knocks but also still fly when the breeze picks up. For this reason we will not be trying to build ultra-light high performance models, more of the Rough and Ready everyday brand.
HK also have a very similar model called the Hummer which I think looks much nicer but is out of stock now (I have read that they are made by the same company but don’t know for sure). If this model flies half-ways decent I will probably get one of those as well at the current price.

Paul
PaulB is online now Find More Posts by PaulB
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2014, 03:39 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
942 Posts
Finally got a few minutes last night to finish the build and hoping for a maiden at the weekend (wife and weather permitting ).

Having thrown all of the bits (not many actually) together the only 2 minor points that I found are 1) the hinges were a bit stiff on some surfaces (quick rub with a sanding block cured this) and 2) the fuselage stiffeners were not quite cut accurately. Once fitted they tended to bow as the wing cut-out is not quite large enough but once again a quick 2 minutes with a bit of sandpaper wrapped around a round dowel did the trick.

All in all a very relaxed construction (well, you can hardly call this a build) which has resulted in a smart’ish looking model.

My Baby is tipping the scales at 580 grams with a 1300 mah 3 cell pack fitted. My mate who has a slightly heavier motor is going to go with 2200 packs so it will be interesting to see how the added weight affects performance but please remember that we are looking for general purpose hack models to be flown even when the breeze gets up, not light weight 3D hooligan machines.

Paul

(first flight nerves)
Old Mar 10, 2014, 01:35 PM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
498 Posts
Hi Paul,

Did you and your buddy get to maiden them? I've ordered this kit some time ago as an idea to use it as night-flyer with LED strips. Did not build it yet.

Interested how the light versus heavy build turned out, and what you guys think of the models flying characteristics in general.
Justapoke is offline Find More Posts by Justapoke
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:18 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
942 Posts
Hi,
yep, maiden done and they both fly REALLY well.

I have now fitted a Turnigy 2830 11 turning a 10 X 4.7 and have unlimited vertical, knife edge and torqueing (not very well) with a 1300 mah pack. I also fly her with an 1800 mah pack and you can hardly tell the difference. My mate is running a Simprop Magic Torque (don’t know the number) with a 10 X 4.7 and 2200 helicopter packs (over 200 grams) and his flies fine as well but is not as aerobatic however he does have smaller throws than I do.

The C of G is pretty un-critical, the stall is mostly non-existent and aerobatics are as easy as can be with a model like this.

We have swapped the 2 mm wire undercarriage legs for decent 2.5 mm piano wire ones and use larger wheels. Also, we used real Carbon Fibre 2 mm rod for the push rods, not the 2 mm glass rods which came with the kit. Apart from that everything is stock.

Three more guys at our club have now ordered one having seen them fly, can’t beat them for value for money and you will have NO problem fitting LED lights for night flying.

Good luck,

Paul
Old Mar 11, 2014, 06:51 PM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
498 Posts
Thanks Paul, very helpfull information.

I've figured it would fly well, do think that keeping it a bit light is the way to go.
Just love these kind of planes, they look kinda ugly, but theyre sweet once in the air

Also gonna try the 2830-11 as I've had good results with this motor on the 900mm EPP Sbach.
I do changed my setup from 1300mah 3S to 1000mah 4S packs.

Works just fine on 4S with a 30A Plush ESC and 9x4.7 prop. Try it some time if you have a small 4S pack laying around.

Here's a vid with my Sbach:

HK Sbach 342 EPP 900mm [ 4S Setup ] (6 min 25 sec)

Another thing I'm probably going to to install is a gyro to keep it stable in wind.
Just found a new interesting cheap board for that. Think it will work very well.

http://www.motionrc.com/eagle-a3-pro...airplane-gyro/

I've ordered mine from ebay with free shipping from HK to the Netherlands.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:44 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
942 Posts
'Light is Right'.....

Having said that, we were looking for a model which could still be flown when the wind picks up a bit and take some knocks. This is the first time that I have not done everything that I can to get the weight down on a model but as I said, they both fly really well.
Your Sbach looks pretty good, may have to look for some small 4 cell packs and the Gyro also looks like a winner.

Keep us posted how you get on..........
Old Apr 07, 2014, 07:54 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
942 Posts
I have now had over 20 flights with this model and can categorically say that she ROCKS!!!!

Running the Turnigy 2830-11 on a 3 cell 1300 pack driving a 10 X 4.7 SF prop gives unlimited vertical for just on 7 minutes (I now land at 6.5 to protect the LiPos) and for most of the flight I have been doing ‘power sucking’ stuff.

The model will knife edge as well as any other model which I have ever flown (been playing with these toys for over 30 years), she hangs on the prop far better than I can and does anything else which you can think of (OK, the flat spin is not too tight and flick manoeuvres are a bit slow due to her good stall characteristics but she will do them).
I have also banged various bits of the model on the car door frame many times, bent the tail on the cellar door when carrying her out to the car, dropped a screwdriver onto the wing (all of this unintentionally) and she still looks 100% new, no dents nicks or marks.

My mate is still 100% happy using his 2200 packs and has had 5 – 6 ‘arrivals’ (crashes) on a total of around 50 flights. A rip in the fuselage just in front of the undercarriage (easily glued with Cyno and now invisible), a loose wing/ Fuselage joint (Cyno again) and a Broken prop is his total damage (after 5 – 6 ‘good’ crashes, amazing). He has not had to abort flying for the day due to damage and has gone from struggling to keep a foam glider in the air to competently taking off, looping, rolling, and limited inverted topped off with a nice controlled accurate landing in up to 15 MPH wind with total confidence.

She is now my nr. 1 ‘hack’ model and finds her way into the car on every outing, my mate has ordered another one as a spare (told him not to bother as tough as they are) and we now have 3 more examples in th eclub.

Paul
Old Apr 07, 2014, 02:20 PM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
498 Posts
Hi Paul,

Good to read you like the model. Thanks for posting the update!
Still had no time to build mine, to busy with other projects at the moment.

Yes these EPP profiles are very strong and easy to fix if needed. I did crash my Sbach hard a few weeks ago, and the carbon spars in one wing-half broke. Not sure yet how to fix that, other repairs on fuselage etc. are always very easy. If I can't get the spar out and replaced I think I'm just gonna buy a new kit.

Really miss the Sbach at the moment, maybe I should just start on the GeeBee first.

Other question: what servo's did you use? I think about 11 grams metal gear are the way to go.
Old Apr 07, 2014, 04:49 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justapoke View Post
Hi Paul,
Other question: what servo's did you use? I think about 11 grams metal gear are the way to go.
Embarrassing to say that I just put the cheapest that I could get 'instant sale' delivered next day!!!! I did not have any spares at the time (I thought that I had loads of spares in my spares box ).

What I ordered were standard cheap Tower Pro 90's with plastic gears, Analogue not digital (I have used them quite a lot and for the money I think that U can't beat them........).

Work fine and anything better would be a bonus but not (in my opinion) necessary.

Get on with it, you will love her

Paul
Old Apr 07, 2014, 05:28 PM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
498 Posts
LOL

If this plane is as good as you say it is I'm happy to spend a few extra bucks on servo's.

Think I will go with this:

Turnigy TGY-50090M

or this:

Turnigy MG90S

I'm still not in a hurry, so I'll stick some of these on my next order and see what happens

On the other hand.. digital would be nice… hmmm