HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2014, 03:27 AM
United Kingdom, England, Coventry
Joined Jan 2014
10 Posts
Discussion
Weight, thrust and wing surface area for my micro

I've got some lightweight avionics comprised of some Falcon Models gear and some cheap Hobbyking stuff. In total it weighs about 19g but i can probably get it under 15 if i'm ruthless.

The motor is a Falcon PU05 rated to produce about 18-20g of thrust with a 5030 prop.

I was thinking of putting it in a Donuts Models Nano Aito but an AUW of <17g is recommended.

I'm assuming my gear is to heavy for these nano planes and so i'm thinking of building my own from scratch. Not sure what to build yet but money is tight and so i'll probably try building with materials that i already have...
Namely bamboo, carbon fibre, some VERY light weight rip-stop nylon, mylar film, EPS foam, tiny Falcon hardware, and anything else i can find.

But i'm wondering.... if the motor only produces 19g thrust and the electronics already weigh 19g, i guess the AUW will be around 30-35g.... Will the PU05 produce enough thrust? And what kind of wing surface area would i need?

Any help very much appreciated,
Cheers,
Tom
LowBoTomy is offline Find More Posts by LowBoTomy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2014, 06:23 AM
Beijing, China
Joined Nov 2006
1,223 Posts
18-20g thrust is plenty for a 30-35g aircraft, especially with a geared prop of ~4".

Wing area depends on how slowly you want it to fly. 30-60 square inches will be fine, but 60 will fly at half the speed of 30.
reylf_gnijieB is offline Find More Posts by reylf_gnijieB
Old Feb 04, 2014, 07:47 AM
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,443 Posts
If you're uk based, have a look for wall veneer, you can get it at b and q and other diy places in the wallpaper section. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1052824

This site should help you as well.

http://adamone.rchomepage.com/cg_calc.htm
thewildweasel is online now Find More Posts by thewildweasel
Old Feb 04, 2014, 09:25 AM
Joined Jan 2014
10 Posts
Hey! Cheers guys...

@reylf_gnijiB That's good to know thanks. I was starting to think this PU05 was gonna be useless if the gear to run it weighed as much as the thrust it produced! I will go ahead and build a micro with it..

@thewildweasel that wall foam looks pretty good. I'm sure i've seen it somewhere before. I'll get some from B&Q if its only a 5er for a roll..
And those micro's you made look really nice. I was thinking of doing a micro IFO type plane as i love carbon and nylon builds. But i may do something funky like this with a formed structure:

lols

And kind of OT, but i was just searching for specs on the Nano Aito wing area and found this:

http://www.photo-cool.com/?p=114262

^it's a copy of this thread on a different site! Pulled and posted in less than 6 hours. Maybe some sort of phishing technique idk? Seems a bit cheeky though, i've never seen that happen before. Would RC groups want to know about it?

Anyway, i'll hack away at my first micro build in the next few weeks and post pics when it's done...
Old Feb 04, 2014, 09:29 AM
Joined Jan 2014
10 Posts
Oh yeah, that calc looks really usefull too. Thanks.