HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:47 PM
USA, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2006
292 Posts
Help!
Need Help Identifying Wingtips

Hi!

I got these wingtips from a friend and neither of us can determine which plane it could have come from. In the pics, I only show the left tip, but I also have the right tip.

Wingtip Length: 37.25 inches
Wingtip Root Chord: 9.25 inches
Joiner Rod Diameter: 0.46 inches (11.8 mm)

The joiner rod appears to be carbon and is glued into the wingtip and extends out of the wingtip by 2.25 inches. Both the leading edge and trailing edge is carbon/kevlar fabric and fiberglass between them. The servo pocket is also reinforced with a patch of carbon/kevlar fabric. The aileron is top hinged and has a carbon fiber wiper. The airfoil appears similar to the MH-32 and the wingtip weighs around 8.9 ounces.

It's obviously from an older 3 - 3.5 meter F3B/J plane, but I just can't pin it down. I might even consider buying the whole plane if someone has it as a hangar queen or has the rest of the parts.

Any help with identifying the plane that these wingtips belong to would be greatly appreciated!

Scotty
wsmorton is offline Find More Posts by wsmorton
Last edited by wsmorton; Mar 06, 2013 at 04:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:05 PM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,368 Posts
Looks like tips from a Graphite (Vladimir's Models). MH-32 foil as you surmised
GoFaster is offline Find More Posts by GoFaster
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:43 PM
USA, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2006
292 Posts
It does look like it's from the original Graphite series, but from the fully molded version:
http://www.fvk.de/Englisch/Graphite%20GFK-CFK.html
The other wingtips (built-up, D-Box) shows a round joiner rod so this might just be it. From the pic on the web site, the color scheme looks the same. The Graphite 2 has a square joiner rod so I think the wingtips might be from the first version of the Graphite.

Thanks!!!
Scotty
Old Mar 10, 2013, 05:27 PM
Don't grow up, it's a TRAP !!!
Australia, QLD, Elimbah
Joined Jan 2005
1,283 Posts
You may want to consider the possibility of them belonging to a Europhia1.
The broad root chord, short span and tip shape give it away.
David

If the pic doesn't appear in the media browser, click on it anyway to enlarge it or right click and "open in new tab".
Larrikin is offline Find More Posts by Larrikin
Old Mar 10, 2013, 07:28 PM
USA, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2006
292 Posts
The measurements are very close to the Europhia 1. I'll have to do a search to find if the joiner rod on the Europhia 1 is round or square. I can also print out the airfoil per the pic (HD48) and compare that to the wingtip.

A search on RC Groups came up with some good reviews, but not many pics of version 1.

Scotty
Old Mar 11, 2013, 02:58 AM
Singapore
Joined Aug 2006
312 Posts
Thats surely a Vladimir plane.....from these few observations

1. The servo openings
2. The Kevlar strands wrapping around the spar
3. The Neon colors...classic Vladimir
4. The wing shape

I have built 2 mini graphites and also have friends with Graphites...pretty sure its a graphite. My first Mini G had the same exact magenta underside color
Gungho is offline Find More Posts by Gungho
Last edited by Gungho; Mar 11, 2013 at 03:05 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:27 AM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,368 Posts
The Graphite has the round joiner and the metal locator pin near the TE, along with the oblong hole for servo wiring - just like in your pics.
GoFaster is offline Find More Posts by GoFaster
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:56 AM
USA, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2006
292 Posts
I tend to agree that the wingtips are from the first version of the Graphite. The information I've found on the net seems to confirm this, plus the confirmation of the construction type from GoFaster and Gungho. It appears that the composite Graphite 1 wingtips were rare since all I could find actual product pictures of were of the gas-bag type.

The Europhia sure looks nice and I'd love to find some good pics of the wingtips for comparison, but I'm not finding that many composite planes with large, round joiner rods. But I haven't finished searching around the net and I might still find something else with similar construction.

Anyone got a Graphite 1 composite, center panel on the cheap? :>)

Scotty
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:25 PM
United States, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Aug 2006
1,322 Posts
I would tend to agree that this is NOT a Europhia. I have been friends with MartinW for a while and have built and handled most of his airplanes, (Carracho, Estrella, Europhia 2, Radical). The use of Kevlar/Carbon fabric is not consistent with his building techniques. I would tend to look toward eastern european countries as they use more Kevlar/Aramid. So the guess that Vladimir built it is probably a good one.
Avaldes is offline Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:22 PM
Mark LSF # 3792
United States, TX, Garland
Joined Nov 2008
423 Posts
Looks just like the tips from my expired Graphite 1, no doubt in my mind. Paint, servo cover recesses and round joiner rod are big hints also. That carbon wiper looked way cool on the ailerons and flaps!
Soarmark is online now Find More Posts by Soarmark
Old Mar 12, 2013, 08:45 AM
USA, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2006
292 Posts
Since I don't have the rest of the plane to go with the wingtips, I might just have to make a 2 meter slope plane out of them. Although, I would have liked the hinge to have been on the bottom, instead of the top.

Scotty