HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2013, 06:42 AM
Vienna/Austria
Joined Jan 2009
868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBowman View Post
Hi Vic

Not planning on it. Will probably have some extra lanterns though.

Capstan with some quick color

Next will be the cut-outs and holes to mount all these parts.

Tim
WOW!!!

Hi Tim, this is really awesome!

Maybe you arenīt planning to sell some of these,
but Iīm sure you invested dozens, if not hundreds of hours in designing these parts - cannons, winch- and servotrail and all.

Therefore my question - have you ever calculated how much these parts would cost for a customer IF you wanted to produce/sell them? Any idea?
disabled is offline Find More Posts by disabled
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2013, 06:57 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
407 Posts
Yes, will have to try my hand at some paint/wash and dry rushing techniques to see if I can make some of the parts look like wood. I think the hardest part for me will be to decide what parts will be what color.
, and or wood.

Hi Ernest. No. So far I have only made some cannon masters for Jerry's Macadonian. The 32 pounder carronade and the 18 pounder long gun shown previously on this thread. I've learned that mixing hobby and 'side business' related to the hobby can sometimes take more energy and money then it's worth and in some ways sucks the enjoyment out of,and distracts me from. my own projects. This was true for the tanks but certainly not for the cannons. Since I dream of my Lively class frigate, drawing the 18 pounder was part of that. Jerry was kind enough to supply me with lots of information, plans etc for that project. Drawing the big gun and getting the parts made for him was the least I could do.

Tim
TBowman is offline Find More Posts by TBowman
Last edited by TBowman; Dec 22, 2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 07:10 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancovitch View Post
amazing....but it will be interesting to see how you will achieve a natural wood effect........
Vic,
Syren wheel shown below was black plastic. Base color was sprayed, and "grain" dry-brushed. Brass ring also painted in. Tim will likely improve the method...

Tim,
Your posts continue to be a great source of entertainment.
All the individual parts are amazing. As they all come together on the model the result is pretty spectacular.

Being inquisitive (and stubborn)... the lanterns are really great. Looking at the strips that make up the grids on them, they look pretty thin.
Makes me still wonder if ratlines or gun tackle could be printed. Just estimating from looking at the picture, seems that a "good enough" gun tackle might be done if the individual lines are bulked together, similar to the attached pic. Thoughts?
Are you printing ABS?

Update on my plan to learn drawing...the very basic intro course was expensive and the software really expensive (as you said). Started playing with SketchUp, but looks like a slow learning curve for me....Makes your results look even more superstar-professional.
I agree with you - don't mix a hobby with business. But can you recommend someone who does prepare design drawings for hire?
Thanks.

Best,
Dan
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Last edited by DanL; Dec 22, 2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 07:21 AM
Joined Aug 2012
407 Posts
Great job on your wheel Dan. I've watched a few demos and the result was amazing. but ,totally new for me(painting plastic to look like wood).

Sending my wood parts to Dan! Lol

Thanks Dan. Happy to have these ones somewhat behind me. Hoping to get some,or all. dry-fitted today. THEN back to the bulwarks.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 07:48 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,348 Posts
Tim,
Seems that my edit was after your response....
wow, you're up early!
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Dec 22, 2013, 12:03 PM
Joined Aug 2012
407 Posts
Hi Dan

Sorry, fell back asleep before seeing your edited post. Up last night with a nasty cold coming on.

The lanterns are WAY thin and pushing the limits for sure. I think minimum wall for parts in general that is guaranteed is .03inch. Bunching the gun tackle together would certainly help. The rat lines are certainly do-able and the material all my parts are made from is an ABS-like" material. However, it's not even close to the toughness of injection-molded ABS. There are other materials available though that maybe would be more suitable for such a thin piece. The rope texturing wouldn't be difficult to have in the part if wanted. The only concern I would have is any kind of bump, yank or impact on your main stays that the rat lines are snapped around would result in lots of broken pieces. Could you simply have multiples for quick replacement when needed? yes.

When the time comes to gun tackle, I will be happy to try and draw something acceptable for us.

I'm glad you are pursuing the software and classes. Good stuff.

All the best
Tim
Old Dec 23, 2013, 09:52 AM
Joined Oct 2006
778 Posts
oh.....dan, i woodn't have known that it wasn't wood.......
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Dec 24, 2013, 06:22 PM
United States, SC, North Augusta
Joined Sep 2013
24 Posts
Once again Tim your work is topnotch. She's looking really good
ditchdoc is offline Find More Posts by ditchdoc
Old Dec 25, 2013, 11:39 PM
Joined Aug 2012
407 Posts
Hi Justin,

Thank you.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year of sailing.

Best regards
Tim
Old Dec 29, 2013, 04:16 PM
Joined Aug 2012
407 Posts
Hope everyone had a really good Christmas.

Spent yesterday morning fitting the hatches. Happy with the results. Again, these will have a sealed, "sailing" hatch and an open "display" hatch. The ship's pumps and the mainmast bits will also be added.

Hatches shown removed

Hatches shown in place

Companionway shown closed for weather

Companionway shown open (doors/hinge detailing yet to be completed)

Main Hatch

Forward Hatches and galley chimney hatch

Shown with hatches removed

Bowsprit is roughly positioned. the bowsprits will be shaped with an octognal profile so some more work to be done here.

Now I need to finish the inner wall of the stern so I can complete the trim pieces on the top and bottom of the bulwarks.
Tim
Last edited by TBowman; Dec 29, 2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 09:32 PM
Joined Oct 2006
778 Posts
hmmmm......just curious....the building technique you are using....is it possible to make all the edges of the components sharp?....or does it have it's limitations?...it doesn't really matter, but i'm just curious..................
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:49 AM
Joined Aug 2012
407 Posts
Hi Vic

If the part is a basic geometric shape, yes, the edges/corners can be crisp and sharp. Two factors begin to affect the surface and edges. 1- compound curves and 2- the direction the part is "built" in the SLA machine.

Hope that answered your question.

Tim
Old Jan 02, 2014, 04:11 PM
Joined Aug 2012
407 Posts
Ship is just a big mess at the moment. LOL

Added the top rails and I am cleaning up the sweep and gun ports one last time before the bottom, inner bulwark trim piece is added.

inner stern bulwark is started. This will also have the vertical posts on both sides of the ports and trim, top and bottom.

Tim
Old Jan 03, 2014, 05:27 AM
Vienna/Austria
Joined Jan 2009
868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBowman View Post
Ship is just a big mess at the moment. LOL

Added the top rails and I am cleaning up the sweep and gun ports one last time before the bottom, inner bulwark trim piece is added.

inner stern bulwark is started. This will also have the vertical posts on both sides of the ports and trim, top and bottom.

Tim
Even if it just looks like a big mess - you are getting there!

Just keep up the excellent work, buddy.
disabled is offline Find More Posts by disabled
Old Jan 03, 2014, 10:10 AM
Joined Aug 2012
407 Posts
Thanks Ernest

Hopefully will have some good progress this weekend.

Tim