HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:08 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,199 Posts
Discussion
Changing the airfoil of a foamy.

Hi, guys.

I have a foam ASW 28 made by ST Models. It took some tuning but it is quite a good performing airframe. The climb is adequate but not spectacular, it has a good L/D, it doesn't need ballast to handle moderate winds, and if one keeps some airspeed it will soar quite well. It's proved to be a good choice for getting me back into R/C after a 6 year layoff and introducing me to modern electric systems.

All that being said...

The dang thing does have a very sharp stall if one tries to slow it down much. It will recover well but it's a trait that can cost one good thermal time or even wreck a plane. Here's my idea.

I'm thinking that I should change the profile of the wingtip to have a rounder nose and a flatter bottom. Am I missing something or does this sound like a way to get rid of some tip stalls? I also think I can sand some washout into the tip.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:25 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Check there isn't a ridge/step along the leading edge. It should be nice and smooth, all the way across. Does it drop more towards one side?
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W