HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by chucksolo69, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:09 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,442 Posts
Discussion
Flying Planks Now

Up until about 2 months ago my major interest in RC was mostly in cars/trucks, both electric and nitro. I have been flying RC helicopters for 6 years and finally decided that it was time to give RC airplanes a try. My first RC airplane, a Hobbyzone Firebird Stratos was bought after a lenghty research process. Flying the Stratos was kind of easy, but like any rookie, I made mistakes. The worst mistake I made was letting the aircraft get behind me. Well, she augered into the ground nose first and did some minor damage to the nose, but that was basically all. I realized that I would be better off buying a simulator and starting there first. RealFlight 6 was my sim of choice and although a bit pricey, it is probably the best money I have spent in RC. I used the RF6 for a month before attempting to fly the FB Stratos again. After that time, I took the Stratos out again, and this time, no crashes and near perfect landings each time. I went a step further, I installed the trike landing gear. Prior, I had done all belly landings. I took her up again, and lo and behold, I brought her down in a near perfect 3 point landing. Wow, this was getting great. I did some more research and went out and bought a Hobbyzone Champ. I bought this because I have a sports park a mile from my house and flying the Champ would be great there. It has been. After flying the Champ and Stratos for another month, wanted something bigger. Enter the Hobbyzone Super Cub. Boy, what an airplane. It flies like the Champ, only much bigger. Recently I have gotten the bug to get a new 4 channel airplane; I think I am ready for ailerons. I have a new Flyzone Cessna 182 Skylane Select Scale on it's way and it should be here tomorrow, just in time to maiden her this weekend. I am also planning on purchasing a new TX today, probably a Spektrum DX6i and the Tactic Anylink adapter so I can fly my new Cessna 182 withe the DX6i. I now fly every weekend with 4 or 5 of my buddies and we all have a blast. We have secured permission to fly in an undeveloped industrial park which has very few obstructions. It is located in a cul de sac and the street leadin up to it is the perfect runway! I have now started to sell off my unused RC cars/trucks to satisfy my flying habit. I wouldn't have it any other way. Flying RC planes IS the MOST fun I have had in all my years in RC. Try it, you'll like it.

Update: When I first started on my RC flying adventure I deluded myself into thinking that I didn't need any help other than the RealFlight 6.0 sim I bought. Well, as it turns out, I soon learned that the sim was actually a brick wall to me and was actually holding me back from learning how to fly PROPERLY. Enter my friend and mentor, a 73 year old gentleman who has 50 years of experience in model flight and is also a former airline pilot. Having him as my mentor showed me that having someone give you tips and guiding you along the way is way more valuable to sitting in your living room pretending that you are flying on a sim. His advice and guidance helped me advance more in the last six months than any artificial means ever could have. To all you newbies out there that happen to read this I say, find yourself a mentor who will take you under his/her wing. You'll be glad you did.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Last edited by chucksolo69; Jun 26, 2013 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Update
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:16 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,072 Posts
That's awesome. One thing i'd suggest is getting a dx7 or dx8 only because you have started recently and already have 3 planes and 1 on the way so the dx6i is already almost halfway full. It seems to me like you might end up owning more than 10 planes/helis

Glad you tried planking, have fun

Joe
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:36 AM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,837 Posts
I have the champ and stratos, would you recommend me getting the super cub or ares gamma 370 pro as my next plane? The super cub is bigger and has a bigger motor, but I like the tricks with the 370, but I cant make up my mind. I just wanna fly really high.
Wrice4 is offline Find More Posts by Wrice4