HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2012, 06:47 AM
Joined Jun 2008
90 Posts
Discussion
JR DSX911 Help!

Is anyone here using a Spektrum AR6100 (ver1.2) RX with the above radio?
pyroarch57 is offline Find More Posts by pyroarch57
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:08 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,742 Posts
I believe that transmitter is a version of what is known in North America as the X9303, which uses a DSM2 module. I have one and it has been excellent.

I have used a 9303 extensively with several of the AR6100, probably the most popular receiver during the first three years or so of the DSM2 era (about 2007 to 2010). It is, of course, a "park flyer" receiver, meaning that it should not be used in larger models, engine-powered models, or models that will be flown at long range.

You mention v1.2. This means the receiver does not have the Quick Connect feature that fixed the problem of very slow reboot after a power loss (brownout). It should be returned to Horizon Hobby for a firmware update before being used for anything that matters.

Does that cover your questions?
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:39 AM
Joined Jun 2008
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
I believe that transmitter is a version of what is known in North America as the X9303, which uses a DSM2 module. I have one and it has been excellent.

I have used a 9303 extensively with several of the AR6100, probably the most popular receiver during the first three years or so of the DSM2 era (about 2007 to 2010). It is, of course, a "park flyer" receiver, meaning that it should not be used in larger models, engine-powered models, or models that will be flown at long range.

You mention v1.2. This means the receiver does not have the Quick Connect feature that fixed the problem of very slow reboot after a power loss (brownout). It should be returned to Horizon Hobby for a firmware update before being used for anything that matters.

Does that cover your questions?
Yes, thanks for the reply.

I seem to have a unique problem at the moment. I have two of these which work flawlessly on my Spektrum DX6i (reduced range test 30 paces or more)

Two weeks ago i bought this new JR radio - i transferred my models over, and the first day out the range check was fine with my full range Spektrum receivers, but with the AR6100`s I could only get a mere 7 paces!

I sent the Tx back to Macgregor Ind for attention and after a thorough test (using a RD921 Rx) they informed me that there was absolutely nothing wrong with it but they replaced the RF board for my peace of mind.

Now two weeks later, back to the flying field and i still have the same problem, exactly as before, 7 paces on the JR and when I rebound the same model back to the DX6i the full 30 paces.

I have been back on to the Tech department at Macgregors and interestingly they tell me that JR DO NOT guarantee use of their transmitters with Spektrum Rx`s. And there would be no point in returning the Tx as they would only test it with a JR Rx.

The main reason I bought this Tx is the fact that all the blurb says it is fully compatible with All Spektrum DSM2 receivers.

I`m currently awaiting a call back from my LHS regarding my options.

Something isn`t right here hence my original question.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:44 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,742 Posts
There is indeed something wrong.

First I should say that I got the wrong transmitter when I responded. The DSX11 is not of course the same as the 9303 or 9503. It's the newer 11-channel JR, known as the 11X in North America. Nevertheless, it should be "Compatible with all Spektrum and JR DSM2 and DSMX receivers" as Horizon Hobby claim.

Note however, that there was a problem with the early DSMX modules used in Spektrum transmitters in that they would not operate reliably with certain Spektrum DSM2 receivers, including the AR6100. I had to send my little DX4e back for an upgrade for just that reason. It would not be surprising if the same problem afflicted the JR transmitters.

Here's the notice they put out about a year ago. It applied to certain JR transmitters, though the 11X wasn't mentioned.

DSMX transmitters operating in DSM2 mode
The Spektrum Team has been investigating sporadic reports from DSMX transmitter owners using their products in DSM2 mode. We have discovered that in some rare instances, DSMX equipped transmitters with the Product ID (PID) within this bulletin, may have a backwards compatibility issue that could cause a "hold" with the following superseded DSM2 receivers: AR500, AR6100, AR6100E, AR6110, AR6110E, AR6200 and AR6300.

My guess is that you may have got an early example of the DSM11X with one of the faulty DSMX modules.

Another possibility is that the DSMX module in DSM2 mode has problems with the very early firmware (about 2007) of your AR6100.

For sure, you should insist on getting to the bottom of this with McGregor.

Incidentally, whatever else you do, you really should get those receivers updated to the definitive firmware, v.1.6. If ever they suffer even a momentary interupption of power or low voltage, they will go into a long reboot.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Jun 2008
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
There is indeed something wrong.

First I should say that I got the wrong transmitter when I responded. The DSX11 is not of course the same as the 9303 or 9503. It's the newer 11-channel JR, known as the 11X in North America. Nevertheless, it should be "Compatible with all Spektrum and JR DSM2 and DSMX receivers" as Horizon Hobby claim.

Note however, that there was a problem with the early DSMX modules used in Spektrum transmitters in that they would not operate reliably with certain Spektrum DSM2 receivers, including the AR6100. I had to send my little DX4e back for an upgrade for just that reason. It would not be surprising if the same problem afflicted the JR transmitters.

Here's the notice they put out about a year ago. It applied to certain JR transmitters, though the 11X wasn't mentioned.

DSMX transmitters operating in DSM2 mode
The Spektrum Team has been investigating sporadic reports from DSMX transmitter owners using their products in DSM2 mode. We have discovered that in some rare instances, DSMX equipped transmitters with the Product ID (PID) within this bulletin, may have a backwards compatibility issue that could cause a "hold" with the following superseded DSM2 receivers: AR500, AR6100, AR6100E, AR6110, AR6110E, AR6200 and AR6300.

My guess is that you may have got an early example of the DSM11X with one of the faulty DSMX modules.

Another possibility is that the DSMX module in DSM2 mode has problems with the very early firmware (about 2007) of your AR6100.

For sure, you should insist on getting to the bottom of this with McGregor.

Incidentally, whatever else you do, you really should get those receivers updated to the definitive firmware, v.1.6. If ever they suffer even a momentary interupption of power or low voltage, they will go into a long reboot.
Thanks again for your detailed reply.

I believe this Tx is just the straightforward DSM2

I have since heard back from my LHS and in his opinion the 7 paces is acceptable, and he would fly the model with that! I did mention that even with park fly receivers you are supposed to get around the 30 paces, but he seems to want to disregard that.

I called Horizon Hobby but they have no answers either. However they did say on no account fly with that much reduced range.

So there it is Macgregor and Horizon Hobby cant help me - i`m up against a brick wall - I have a 330 transmitter which is incompatible with my receivers!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:12 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroarch57 View Post
Thanks again for your detailed reply.

I believe this Tx is just the straightforward DSM2

I have since heard back from my LHS and in his opinion the 7 paces is acceptable, and he would fly the model with that! I did mention that even with park fly receivers you are supposed to get around the 30 paces, but he seems to want to disregard that.

I called Horizon Hobby but they have no answers either. However they did say on no account fly with that much reduced range.

So there it is Macgregor and Horizon Hobby cant help me - i`m up against a brick wall - I have a 330 transmitter which is incompatible with my receivers!
There is no way 7 paces is acceptable! I have had several DSM2 transmitters and dozens of receivers (both genuine Spektrum and Orange clones). All combinations gave at least 25m in low power range test mode, even with the model sitting on the grass, and most give more. And Spektrum have always said 30 paces (or 25m) as the full range criterion.

Do I understand correctly that the Tx gives normal range with receivers other than your old AR6100s? If so, I would focus on upgrading the receivers to v.1.6 firmware, as they are marginal as far as safety is concerned with the current 1.2 firmware, even for use with your DX6i. The upgrade may be what's needed to make them work with the new Tx.

I discovered a couple of the 1.2 receivers in the past year, unused in the bottom of the receivers box. I sent them to Horizon, who upgraded them free and mailed them back with no shipping charge.

You might also want to try the $6 Orange 6 receiver from Hobby King. They work very well, especially if you add the satellite (which makes the total cost about $20).
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:18 PM
Joined Jun 2008
90 Posts
Yes that`s right the full range receivers work fine.

As you say, the upgrade to 1.6 is a possibility but the techie didn`t seem to think that would make any difference to the range problem.

I expected fully compatible with all Spektrum dsm2 receivers to mean just that. That`s why I`m reluctant to go spending more cash on other receivers, which I shouldn`t have to do, it should have been the case of transfer models over and fly.

I`m losing all confidence in this combination now, but i`ll persist in trying to find out what the problem is Thanks for your help, much appreciated.