HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:52 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting View Post
I would rather slot them first and try to find later. I can imagine all the kind of mess I would make trying the other way.

Robert
After a little thinking, I'm with you... and if I had a "do-over"..haha.. I would do just as I did.

Finding the slots wasn't near as hard as I thought it would be.. partly due that I only covered half at a time.. thank goodness... it might have been just a little tougher had I not done that.. still doable though.. and again.. Each stab surface did get flat-sanded right along with the control surface... so ya can't knock that.

Thanks for the input Robert.

Dale.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,068 Posts
Wing bottoms

Still working with the full-size iron here. The next steps I'll break out the new iron, it just got here this morning...

Just a few quick shots of the trans blue. I'm going to ad white for the LE, as you notice I've left the LE covering just short of the edge..

I want the whole leading edge white, as I've noticed much better visibility as the plane approaches. I've found the white the best contrast with the background, so on this plane, I'm taking advantage of the "FAT" leading edge.

I think that does it for the trans. blue on this plane, I can get pretty excited when they get to the next few stages.. it means..." it won't be long "
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:54 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,068 Posts
Covering the hinge lines...

Because I'm using different colors top and bottom, I wanted to keep the demarkation line very crisp. I simply cut strips and layed them right on the hinge line, so when the control surface is permanently installed, it should come out looking very clean. This is a little more work, but not much really, and the finished product is so much cleaner/straighter too.

Pic #1 is my new iron, no more messin around. Its nice having a new iron, and a very smooth new surface to go with it. I can tell you though, it doesn't get as hot as the house iron(I have a thermometer)unless I crank it up all the way..then it will easily melt covering on/around anything..

The next few pics is of the work in progress..
Old Feb 05, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,068 Posts
These are pretty much the finished edges. When the top is done, it will simply iron down, and then I can "free-hand" the final cut, as the demarkation line is already there, and I'll be putting white on white at that point anyway, so the seam for the top covering will be basically unnoticable...

So from this point, its a matter of wing-tips, and the final top panels to complete the base color on the wing, all white.

I'm hoping this all makes sense for whomever is reading... as this process does produce some excellent results.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,068 Posts
Also... Something I don't think I mentioned, but maybe noteworthy. As I cover, I always start at the farthest point rear, on the bottom.

This is because as #1, as covering is layered, if you start from the rear, all overlaps from that point should be overlapping to the rear. This lessens any lifting/delamination from wind/air/oil/etc.. as all seams will be going to the rear.

Same for starting on the bottom. The bottom will wrap to the "up" side, after that everything wraps down.. so If you start on the bottom, all seams will wrap downward, and thereby leaving seams virtually undetectable, especially as you look down on the plane. .
Old Feb 09, 2012, 04:36 PM
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Mar 2011
223 Posts
Ahh the old dazzler at one time at my flying field we had over 12 of these things flying at the same time . Good Times, I still have mine hanging up even though I fly electric now , I really miss flying that plane it was just good fun .
rush1 is offline Find More Posts by rush1
Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:47 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush1 View Post
Ahh the old dazzler at one time at my flying field we had over 12 of these things flying at the same time . Good Times, I still have mine hanging up even though I fly electric now , I really miss flying that plane it was just good fun .
Hello there! Thanks for the comments and checking it out. I am looking forward to a great little fun-flyer. It should prove to be a very worthy addition and be pretty crazy fast and manuverable plane.

What size/type/class engines was the general populous running on these things? From day one that I got the kit I've always thought a good ball-bearing .46 or so engine(I'm installing a Magnum .46) was the the called for engine, but I've noticed there's been some with bushing .40's that fly very well too.. I'm just hoping it's not too "mad" with a ball-bearing .46.. haha..

More covering to come in the next few days, work's been kickin' my butt..and its getting in the way of my fun.. and I've got a few days off coming too.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 06:14 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,068 Posts
Chipping away at it....

Got the wings covered on top ... thank goodness for this little PVC stand. I've got this one, and one identical configuration, only much larger for giant-scale planes. These things have been a lifesaver.

This being a one-peice aircraft takes a little different planning whille holding/manuevering to cover..

Also, I'm starting to get curious as to the weight of the covering. Before covering I weighed the bare airframe (a few pgs back I think).. After its all covered, I'm going to get a weight with the identical components installed.. this should give an accurate weight of the covering... which I'm curious about...

I'm going onto the fuselage bottom now.

Here's a few pics of top and bottom so far...
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,068 Posts
The vertical stab/tail is covered now..

After covering the horizontal stab, I was contemplating how I was going to cover the fuselage, being a one peice model, with a huge airfoil shape having to be cut out.

I do save all the plugs and scraps that come from these kits, as sometimes they prove to be invaluable...as was the case here..

I simply taped some paper together, then cut out the airfoil shape using the plug that was removed from the fuselage sides. I slid the paper with the cut-out over the wing, then I used the edges of the fuselage to "crease" the paper, creating a template, via the creases.

I removed the paper carefully, as I didn't want to tear my work.. then I penciled the creases, making the template easy view. From there I cut the template down to "Monokoting" size, knowing where I wanted a little extra hanging off, to grab, as well as knowing where I could cut it close..

The result is a very workable peice of Monokote, with as little waste as possible I think. It will have a seam right at the wing-spar area, but this will be virtually undetectable, and was in the interest of saving covering.. as this way the fuselage is taken from the "width" of the covering, rather then the "length".. so

Here's a few pics illustrating the technique, and outcome.. and now I'm on to covering the fuselage... Oh.. one more thing.. The template is obviously good for doing both of the fuselage sides... if you happen to try this sometime though, .. don't forget you have to use the other side of the template for the other fuselage siide...
Old Feb 18, 2012, 03:58 PM
Oh so close!
Campbell River
Joined Jan 2010
702 Posts
Thanks for picking up the thread after your downtime. Even though another balsa build (therefore covering) is not in my immediate future I do enjoy your techniques and pictorials. I do file away the good stuff (hey, why else would I be following along!?) for future use!

cheers

clipper99 is offline Find More Posts by clipper99
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:38 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,068 Posts
Hello there clipper.. thanks for following along. I too really enjoy watching build threads... I've probably got 5 or 6 that I follow regularly... and have learned a wealth of info from... and its always nice talking to fellow modelers, and seeing what goes on in someone else's "shop". And yes... its nice to be back creating stuff.. haha.. for sure.

Speaking of "shop".. if nobody noticed, or it wasn't clear.. my shop at this point is in a back room of my house that I've converted, and is now known as "The Plane Room"...aka "My Cave". I remodeled/refinished it just for covering/finishing/storing my planes... I can tell that using film covering indoors is a total pleasure. Its much cleaner then most garages, and I've been "trimming" the covering at will... and there was quite a bit on the carpet...

At this point I have all the base covering on.. so with a quick vacuum with my shop vac, and another with the house vac.. all signs of any covering going on are gone..so covering in the house won't hurt a thing. The only drawback is when you're using "Trim-Solvent"... open a window..as it does seem to have a toxic smell.. but not much more then that.. the wife can't stand that particular smell... , and frankly, its probaby not healthy to use in a closed room... other then that, its all good.

I will continue to do my major framing/woodwork in the other "shop"(garage)..for obvious reasons.. but I'm hooked on the climate controlled indoors for any covering that I'll be doing in the future...

So... on with pics... I've got a few more at this point.....

Pic #1 is the first side of the fuselage/rear-turtle-deck. Notice where the splice will occur... I mentioned I cut these sides out of the "width" of the covering roll, in the interest of saving covering(for sure at over $1.00 a sf.).. so I knew I'd have a splice or two... when you know you're going to have a splice... try to plan it so it's minimized.. which is exactly what I did, putting that splice on the thinnest portion of the fuselage.. very easily done..

Also a note, that before applying the white side, I covered the "back-rest" with an aluminum... something had to be done with a plane white cockpit.. and its a small start.. and actually I usually put something there.. either black or silver/aluminum.. but that's what you see there.

Pic #2 as the front portion of the fuselage is covered, the splice is virtually undetectable.. I know I'll forget about it.. these smallish splices don't bother me a bit on something like that.. and really even in other cases of splicing.. there's alot of ways to hide them if needed.. but good application is the best way...

So.. I mentioned the base color is down.. the room is cleaned up again.. I've been contemplating a few schemes.. nothing out of this world.. or even extremely unique.. but I do know I've got to have some colors on this little plane... after all.. it is called a Dazzler.. and what's a Dazzler with no graphics.. so let me see what I have in the color department... hmm..

I'll be back.....
Last edited by DGrant; Feb 18, 2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:05 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
10,759 Posts
I admire your skill in covering. It's something that I can only do adequately.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:20 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
773 Posts
I agree with Tom. Nice job.

When you say splice are they over lapping or just butted against each other?

Robert
kingconsulting is online now Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:40 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,068 Posts
Thanks a bunch guys!...

These are overlapped....I usually go 1/8" to 1/4".. if that. I like a little more overlap around the firewall area, so I'll usually leave about 1/4" each side to wrap the firewall.. which essentially is about 1/2" overlap.. in the case of a simple splice, such as on this fuselage..... 1/8"+ is totally cool... thing is that 1/8" is minimized by where I located it.. thats just how it worked out on this one.. each one can be a little(or alot) different.

And yes.. everything is overlapped. I mentioned the order of covering, in which starting on the bottom, and rear.. so all the overlapping is done with the frontal peices overlapping the rear. The seams seem to(no punn here.. haha).. stay down very well that way. I try to layer the graphics that way as well.. haha... Sometimes those are a shot in the dark though.. and it comes out great.. or .. it just doesn't work like I intended.

I'm still contemplating some colors here. There's a few "stock" type schemes that are suggested on the box...I'm not totally fond of them...but I may borrow some ideas there..as they aren't too bad.. and I do want to keep moving on this.. biggest prob is..I my own worst critic.. regardless. haha.. its all good.. I'm having a blast with this project..and there are ideas stirring in my head.. and I'm getting some much needed practice too.. you know.. for the biggies I've got to build some day.. Thanks for following.. More to come..
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:50 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2002
199 Posts
Nice job, DGrant. Here's a blast from the past, 1999. I eventually put a Hacker motor and MEC 10:1 drive in it. Power equaled a glow .40. You will love this plane. I flew it for many years, and lost it in a mid-air. If we only had LiPo cells back then.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=dazzler
Zoomer-Ron is offline Find More Posts by Zoomer-Ron