HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by DaOldGuy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 02, 2010, 08:23 PM
RC = Drama Free
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
11,647 Posts
Build Log
RC America 27% Extra 300S <The Re-Creation>

Here I have a new project, it was donated by a very nice RCG'r <barchiola> and I am stripping it down for a winter project.

I am not sure what this plane is, was listed as an Extra 260, it is a 88 inch Low wing, everthing on the Fuse is sheeted or solid balsa like the airfoil tail feathers. It has a styrofoam core, balsa sheeted turtle deck.

I will be stripping the wings down next, looking for anything that was deem this not a good rebuild so I dont go too deep.

Any help or thoughts on what company made this it <if it is a kit> would be great.
Ron
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Last edited by DaOldGuy; Mar 19, 2011 at 11:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2011, 08:48 PM
RC = Drama Free
Joined Dec 2007
11,647 Posts
Project Update

Things are coming together.
Hanger 9 Extra 260 27% parts for this project
Cowl
Canopy

I have a RCGF 55cc for the power.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 11:37 PM
RC = Drama Free
Joined Dec 2007
11,647 Posts
Building in some THROWS. Removed the one sided 45 bevels for all control surfaces <cause they sux> and build them out with double bevel 45's

I also added 8 extra inches to the Ailerons to have more prop wash control.....
Old Mar 19, 2011, 11:57 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,460 Posts
Looking good.
That looks like a 70's to 80's kit. I had a cap 21 that was built the same way.
I am anxious to hear about your power plant.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Mar 20, 2011, 07:40 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,253 Posts
Now that you've found a cowl that fits and is already nicely painted, do you leave it and match up you scheme to it, or do the purple one and paint the cowl?

Nice work, btw. Looks like you have ample opportunity to lose weight there too. That pull pull elevator cracks me up! I guess you'll be changing that?

I can't wait to see the finished product!
plowboy1966 is online now Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Mar 20, 2011, 08:44 AM
RC = Drama Free
Joined Dec 2007
11,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Now that you've found a cowl that fits and is already nicely painted, do you leave it and match up you scheme to it, or do the purple one and paint the cowl?

Nice work, btw. Looks like you have ample opportunity to lose weight there too. That pull pull elevator cracks me up! I guess you'll be changing that?

I can't wait to see the finished product!
You know.... the color thing has been EATTIN at me for a couple weeks. I think I have decided to go with the Hanger 9 colors but change the design so it doesn't look like the H9 260.

The ele pull pull was the wildest thing I have EVER seen with the servos mounted on the outside of the fuse in front. Someone just drilled this plane full of holes in an attempt to lighten the plane. it has taken a long time to clean all of that up. Dont drill holes, get bigger motor.

I am not sure what I can do to help it loose weight. Since most of the sheeting is balsa, drilling more holes really wont take away much weight. The wing its self has no spare <that I know of> so I am not willing to take any steps to alter it. The wing with ailerons is 3.1 lbs.
The bare wood fuse structure is <no control surfaces> is 3.9 lbs.

I have my buddies Sig Sukio here,<stripped to recover> his wing with ailerons is 4 inches shorter and weighs 2.75. Quarter pound less and is a built up and not totally sheeted.

His fuse <with control surfaces> is 3.1 lbs. At a pound heavier, my fuse is also larger. Sig Suggests the Sukoi have a 40cc Gasser.

Don't take me wrong, I want it to be light as possible but I don't know if structurally these early day ARF's could be lightened without risk. Thoughts? I am open to suggestions.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 09:02 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,253 Posts
Hey you know more about building than I ever will!! I was thinking about that motor box area when I made the comment but I can't really tell from looking at pictures how much wood is really there and how strong it is. Anyway, it doesn't sound too heavy so far. You can figure another three pounds for the engine and ignition. On an 88" wing it doesn't sound bad at all. Anything under 18 or so pounds should be good to go and you should be well under that, don't you think?
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:01 AM
RC = Drama Free
Joined Dec 2007
11,647 Posts
Quote:
Hey you know more about building than I ever will!! I was thinking about that motor box area when I made the comment but I can't really tell from looking at pictures how much wood is really there and how strong it is. Anyway, it doesn't sound too heavy so far. You can figure another three pounds for the engine and ignition. On an 88" wing it doesn't sound bad at all. Anything under 18 or so pounds should be good to go and you should be well under that, don't you think?
The motor box is strong, not efficent like the new motor boxes of today. I again am afraid to take anyhing away from it. It already has some right thrust built into the box and such so I am going to clean it up and paint it.

It is an 80 inch wing <guy I got it from thought 88> with 1162 Square Inches. The manual says 14-16 lbs with a Moki 1.8 or Zenoah 45. So to your point I think I am in the game with the motor I have. <I hope>

Did you see the ugly motor mounts it had on it in the original pictures? I am not sure what was on in but those motor mounts were heavy.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:07 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
The motor box is strong, not efficent like the new motor boxes of today. I again am afraid to take anyhing away from it. It already has some right thrust built into the box and such so I am going to clean it up and paint it.

It is an 80 inch wing <guy I got it from thought 88> with 1162 Square Inches. The manual says 14-16 lbs with a Moki 1.8 or Zenoah 45. So to your point I think I am in the game with the motor I have. <I hope>

Did you see the ugly motor mounts it had on it in the original pictures? I am not sure what was on in but those motor mounts were heavy.
Yeah I saw those!! LOL That and the forward ele servo might indicate a tail heavy plane? The bigger motor should help with that!! Have you done the wingload calculations yet? 15 LBS on 80" shouldn't be too bad either depending on the chord width. I believe I would consider a water bottle tank and a light battery system though. Whatever you can do to keep it light.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:32 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,530 Posts
DOG Very nice Your doing great and I can't wait to see it all buttoned up and In the sky,, Very cool
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Apr 06, 2011, 09:47 PM
RC = Drama Free
Joined Dec 2007
11,647 Posts
New Mounts for the wings completed, adjustments to the firewall to fit the new cowl... Its all getting better.
Old Apr 07, 2011, 08:13 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,253 Posts
Won't be long now!!

Old Apr 07, 2011, 10:47 AM
RC = Drama Free
Joined Dec 2007
11,647 Posts
Quote:
Won't be long now!!

This was the part I was dreading. The wings had hard points going through them, they were drilled in strange directions, the holes on the fuse for the bolts where at weird angles. Dowled and re-drilled the wings, took the mounts off the fuse and built new. Epoxied in blind nuts, it used to be just screws in the wood before....

Now.... Back from Toledo and recovered, back to building. I am going to try to getting into IMAC this year, even back in the day, this old bird was IMAC legal. I am not saying I am good enough to do IMAC but I am thinking this would be a great way to get some skills.

There is a IMAC Comp up towards your direct Waldo... Might have to meet up with you.
Old Apr 07, 2011, 06:57 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
This was the part I was dreading. The wings had hard points going through them, they were drilled in strange directions, the holes on the fuse for the bolts where at weird angles. Dowled and re-drilled the wings, took the mounts off the fuse and built new. Epoxied in blind nuts, it used to be just screws in the wood before....

Now.... Back from Toledo and recovered, back to building. I am going to try to getting into IMAC this year, even back in the day, this old bird was IMAC legal. I am not saying I am good enough to do IMAC but I am thinking this would be a great way to get some skills.

There is a IMAC Comp up towards your direct Waldo... Might have to meet up with you.

That thing will be great for Basic IMAC, besides, everything is legal in the Basic class. I flew my 71" Yak in Basic so I think this thing will be really good.
Old Apr 07, 2011, 08:09 PM
RC = Drama Free
Joined Dec 2007
11,647 Posts
Quote:
That thing will be great for Basic IMAC, besides, everything is legal in the Basic class. I flew my 71" Yak in Basic so I think this thing will be really good.
My understanding is a fella won 2nd in the nats last year with a 90 size plane. I am not looking to win, just get some structured skills.