HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:54 PM
Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2009
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiKung View Post
Yes you can. One (or more) of the wires is prolly common and the others goes through the switches. Just put it into gnd and use the digital inputs. You can use the arduinos internal pull-ups so no need for external resistors. Look at the original pcb and watch which wires goes to gnd.

I used the arduino nano v3, so there is not enough digital io:s for me. I added the flaps into one analog input. It has on-off-on switch and voltage divider resistors in output (to gnd and vcc). Then I just added some IF:s into code for mapping the input and having some space for resistor tolerances.

Ps. Here we go. The small lcd is just a panel mountable volt meter and has nothing to do with arduino.
PPs. Still not ready yet. Another video receiver had normal RSSI (not inverted as it should be for diversity controller)...
It looks like the board has a series od resistors where the thumb switches go to the board. Nothing obvious that goes to ground. I have to get my meter out and try to figure it out. It appears that only 5 wires are used for 8 switch positions.
vertcnc is offline Find More Posts by vertcnc
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:36 AM
Joined Aug 2011
35 Posts
Quote:
It looks like the board has a series od resistors where the thumb switches go to the board. Nothing obvious that goes to ground.
There must be at least one common wire for them.

I quess that one of them is GND (or positive) and four of them are switches. And in the board the resistors goes into positive or gnd. This means that there is eight positions (each switch on or off). Also there can be some simple logic (more throws in a switch).

Try to find common wire. Connect it into arduinos gnd and others into inputs. Then just print to screen "sw1 = [state], sw2 = [state] etc..." and try to find out how it does work. The logic can be annoying, so write all states down and think hard.

Ps. I was also thinking about this for thumb stick:

Bought one but centering is not that accurate. I have already pretty much to do when flying, so having to center the cam in the same time - no thanks.
ChiKung is offline Find More Posts by ChiKung
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:18 AM
Canada, ON, Aurora
Joined Oct 2011
698 Posts
I have no problems with using that thumb stick with my 9x setup.Also, don't use the psp1000 sticks, old poop, lotsa drift. the newer ones are much much much better.
cr8tive_leo is online now Find More Posts by cr8tive_leo
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:40 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,383 Posts
Where do you buy those sticks ?
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:14 PM
Joined Aug 2011
35 Posts
"thumb joystick" or "thumb stick" @ eBay.. almost free ( around $2).
ChiKung is offline Find More Posts by ChiKung
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:35 PM
Canada, ON, Aurora
Joined Oct 2011
698 Posts
Ebay, you can find them 5 for $6 free shipping.
cr8tive_leo is online now Find More Posts by cr8tive_leo
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:16 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Mar 2008
372 Posts
I ordered one of those PSP thumb sticks for my project, guess I should have checked here first. If the one I get centers badly I will fix it in software a little less resolution should be fine for cam pan tilt.

I have a 6 position rotary switch and a mom.-off-mom. toggle on the way these are both for autopilot mode control.

I either need to order the LCD or commit to refactoring the project it to work with the a spark fun 16x2 serial lcd.

Ian, have you considered putting the code up on github or google code? might make it easier to keep in sync with your updates
charlienofun is offline Find More Posts by charlienofun
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:38 AM
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Joined Dec 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlienofun View Post
Ian, have you considered putting the code up on github or google code? might make it easier to keep in sync with your updates
Hi,

Not really. I have my own web server which is hosted at home, so I don't even have to FTP into it, just copy from one dir to another.
Have got too many other projects of all descriptions so prefer them all in one place.

Ian.
IanJ is online now Find More Posts by IanJ
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:04 PM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Mar 2008
372 Posts
Got some more parts today.

6 position switch for autopilot modes, momentary toggle and the PSP thumbstick getting close just gotta do something about the LCD
charlienofun is offline Find More Posts by charlienofun
Old Apr 22, 2012, 04:44 PM
Portugal
Joined Dec 2008
105 Posts
Hello Ian,
some time ago I built a FPV console with your code. Now I decided to move the Arduino to the interior of a old "TopGun" and everything works well through the training door of an old 72Mhz JR. But the intent would be to abdicate the JR radio and pass the ppm signal directly to a 35Mhz RF module that I have here from a Graupner MC19. Then the trouble begins ... I have the ppm output signal connected directly to the input of the module but does not work. I do not have an oscilloscope, but I measured the voltage supply for my MC19 module RF: Vin: 10.8, PPM: 7.4 ... Does the module does not recognize the 5v ppm signal from the arduino?

Any help would be welcome
dfidalgo is offline Find More Posts by dfidalgo
Last edited by dfidalgo; Apr 23, 2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:01 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,383 Posts
I don't know if I've asked already, but if I were to interface to the buttons and pots via the Gameport connector in such a way: http://www.built-to-spec.com/blog/wp...ck-Dongle1.png

Would it work out of the box or would the code needed to be modified?
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:36 AM
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Joined Dec 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfidalgo View Post
Hello Ian,
some time ago I built a FPV console with your code. Now I decided to move the Arduino to the interior of a old "TopGun" and everything works well through the training door of an old 72Mhz JR. But the intent would be to abdicate the JR radio and pass the ppm signal directly to a 35Mhz RF module that I have here from a Graupner MC19. Then the trouble begins ... I have the ppm output signal connected directly to the input of the module but does not work. I do not have an oscilloscope, but I measured the voltage supply for my MC19 module RF: Vin: 10.8, PPM: 7.4 ... Does the module does not recognize the 5v ppm signal from the arduino?

Any help would be welcome
Hi,

I've had zero experience with anthing other than Futaba, so can't really help. Hopefully somebody else will chime in with some help.

Ian.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:45 AM
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Joined Dec 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
I don't know if I've asked already, but if I were to interface to the buttons and pots via the Gameport connector in such a way: http://www.built-to-spec.com/blog/wp...ck-Dongle1.png

Would it work out of the box or would the code needed to be modified?

If I'm reading you correctly then you should be ok.......the switches are normally high (switched to ground) and the sticks looks like they are +5v 3-wire (when I googled them). You might need to remove those 100k resistors though.

Ian.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:13 AM
Portugal
Joined Dec 2008
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanJ View Post
Hi,

I've had zero experience with anthing other than Futaba, so can't really help. Hopefully somebody else will chime in with some help.

Ian.
Ok Ian, I'll try to invert the ppm shift in your code, (swap LOW & HIGH on these lines from ppmoutput: digitalWrite(outPinPPM, LOW) )

Regards,

Daniel

EDITED:
Problem solved! Nothing wrong with your code. If anyone want to use a Graupner RF module, it must have the 3 wires (+, - , ppm) and additionally a regulated 6 Volts for the RF oscillator within the module. Arduino + Ian Johnston code working fine again!

My only regret is however my Graupner MC-19 have burned while trying to figure out the problem...
dfidalgo is offline Find More Posts by dfidalgo
Last edited by dfidalgo; Apr 25, 2012 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Solved
Old May 16, 2012, 06:22 PM
France, PACA, Nice
Joined Dec 2011
6 Posts
Rc joy

Ian, congrats on this project!
I have been following this project for a while and have ordered a some parts to get started.
do you have or someone have a complete shematic and componant implementation for build one.
i have drawing this with eagle
it is possible to say me if this is ok
speeder06 is offline Find More Posts by speeder06