HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:06 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,530 Posts
Snowman I'm not the safety officer and he was absent this day and I set a fine example of what we shouldn't be doing which is why I didn't post the procedures LOL yes big giant engines are definitely in order and What is a RATO ?? I'm all in and an .049 for cruisin power would be awesome it might just work your rudder on one side LOL so for a kadet you might want one .049 engine on each side of each moving surface, if you have ailerons on it you would only need 9 of them, now that would be cool to see I'm willing to bet an .049 would take a kadet Sr to the sky on a paved runway. heh heh hehe, he said basil

Wayne ahh yes I forgot that was in the video LOL and its possible the down thrust could cause the nose to dip I suppose I'm just spit ballin here.

Jackleg I wonder if has to do with the giant top wings or something? maybe the plane is nose heavy?
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:27 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
4,433 Posts
As they pointed out.......I'm having a bad hair day. It's all it fun lads.....don't go waning phiolsophic on me. What the hell.....have at it.

"When the women let us."
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:34 PM
RC = Drama Free
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
11,646 Posts
MUHAHAHAHAHA....

I just want to know how you are firing the rockets <its ok, safety coordinator is not here>
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:59 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,460 Posts
Almost cut my hair.
check it out
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young-Almost Cut My Hair (4 min 32 sec)
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:09 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by irelandchad View Post
It is white and I have been looking at the tip thread already. Cant wait to get it out.

Welcome to the madness!!! Come on in, the water is fine!!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:45 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,530 Posts
Hmmm Kerwin that song makes a me thinks

Theres a hurrican a brewin and I don't just mean the republicaniac party or the gulf waters

Hey!!! do Snowman even have hair ? That just popped into my head
How can you possibly have a bad hair day or is that just too cold
I'm thinkin I really want to see that kadet with nine .049 engines and a wicked snowman tiger like paint job do it man

DOG I fired the rockets by moving the rudder stick to the left and then the right

Yes we have a little more fun than were suppose to have here on this thread as plow said grab your diving board
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:59 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,125 Posts
Here, maybe this will help with the whole "rocket motor" discussion

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...F1945659&img=l

hmmmm....looking a little further....

Ron, you or I could fly this model, I think

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...F1865607&img=l
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:09 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,072 Posts
Wow never heard Of' HV servos[

Yes rc rx can handle up to 10 volts

Got a link ro some hv servos that can manipulate a say 6 lbs plane

Cool idea

QUOTE=brathanke;22559375]Thanks for the compliment Plow. As the comfort level with the plane increases I am willing to try more stuff. I hope to get the video of it with smoke on in the next few days. Smoke is still a work in progress... I haven't figured out how to mix it with my throttle yet.

David what plane are you working on? My suggestion would be to get some HV servos and use a 2s lipo. Just make sure your rx can take that much voltage. All of the newer stuff does. YMMV.[/QUOTE]
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:14 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
4,433 Posts
Waldo........RATO..........stands for rocket assisted take off.......as opposed to JATO....jet assisted take off.......after you get it in the air........the .049 takes over see???? Yes, snowmen have hair.......in all the wrong places!!!

David22.......thanks for the videos.....earlier! Are you flying the T_ _ _t at all????
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:15 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,072 Posts
Thanks Wayne

It is for a large wing delta plane.

What you said helped me lots.

Thanks for all your help.

You guys make this hobby way more easy for me and way more fun

Found a new place to fly my twist 40 so in a few weeks I will try to make new video

Thanks again all you guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Crap! Neither do I. OK, it increases manual dexterity.

David - There are some very high torque servos so you would be better off with one servo per aileron if the plane was designed that way. If you are having trouble pulling out of a dive, that is primarily the elevator. If you are trying to do very high speed dives and then expect to rapidly pull out at 90 degrees, your expectations may be too high. If you are pulling the elevator and it continues in the dive, you may be having blow-back on the servo and more torque could help. it could also be your push rods flexing. If you only have one servo on the elevator, one side could be blowing back. That would create some roll.

Two servos are sometimes put on one aileron because they are long as in 100cc+ planes and large sail planes. One servo could try moving the aileron but since the aileron is long, it can actually blow back on one end. The second servo would help make sure the aileron stays straight.

You also need to make sure your voltage is not sagging under load. Put a meter between the battery and the plane. A Watts up meter is good for this because it records the minimum voltage, current, and power. You should not have to go to HV servos but you may need a higher capacity pack.

Also mentioned is that the servos need to have the same geometry. This is accounted for on planes designed for two servos. The position and angle of each servo relative to the control surface needs to be the same so that the same travel at each servo causes the same deflection of the surface.

Next both servos should be the same model if possible. This is to match the speed and torque.

You then need to match the throw/end points. Some servos are programmable and you can set the servos so they both have the same travel for a given deflection of the sticks. This is usually checked at maximum deflection. You adjust one servo for the desired throw then match the second servo by adjusting it for the minimum current draw for the servos. It is best to only have the two servos you are setting attached.

If you don't have programmable servos, you can accomplish this by using a match box or some power boards, like some SmartFly models, have built in matchboxes.

Hope this helps.
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:53 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
Wow never heard Of' HV servos[

Yes rc rx can handle up to 10 volts

Got a link ro some hv servos that can manipulate a say 6 lbs plane

Cool idea
Now that you are aware of HV servos you will see them everywhere. The only problem is that they can get pricey. These are the ones I'm using in my 70" slick (10 pounds). They are really nice. I am really liking them after about 15 flights and a few less than perfect landings. Might be a bit overkill but for the price...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19919

You could go the solar servo route as well and get the D770's

http://www.hobbypartz.com/33p-solarservo-d770.html

The power hd's are around 200 oz/in of torque. The Solars are 130 and half the price. Either one will take a 2s lipo unregulated. More power, great precision, and less weight! Win win win
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:00 PM
RC = Drama Free
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
11,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
They are really nice. I am really liking them after about 15 flights and a few less than perfect landings. Might be a bit overkill but for the price...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19919

You could go the solar servo route as well and get the D770's

http://www.hobbypartz.com/33p-solarservo-d770.html
I have Power HDs in my 87 SHP, only the rudder is an HV so I really cant take advantage of that. I have to wonder since they are rated at 7.4 if a full charged 2S <8.2ish> could be a problem or not.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:30 PM
Hardrock Miner
Livingston, MT
Joined Jun 2006
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post

Jackleg I wonder if has to do with the giant top wings or something? maybe the plane is nose heavy?
I don't think so. I have it balanced in the middle of the range. I'm sure that big ol wing has something to do with it.
jacklegchris is offline Find More Posts by jacklegchris
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:35 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
Thanks Wayne

It is for a large wing delta plane.

What you said helped me lots.

Thanks for all your help.

You guys make this hobby way more easy for me and way more fun

Found a new place to fly my twist 40 so in a few weeks I will try to make new video

Thanks again all you guys
Are you making your own or buying one?

I am thinking about a 7' mother ship. I don't think it will need two servos per aileron though. If the servo is near the center, there should be little twist.
waynemia is online now Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:45 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,149 Posts
The LT-40 is making progress. The Evo 61 engine did not fit too well so I put a 46AX with a MACs muffler on it. A 12.25 x 3.75 prop should do it. I dook out all the Airtronics stuff and installed PowerHD 7150MG servos on the surfaces with a standard servo on the throttle. Took out the 8oz tank and put in a 12oz - no puny flights. If I do go with a bigger engine, the tank is already there. The nose wheel needed some attention. The screw on the steering arm was stripped. I was lucky and had one to replace it. There were two wood block on the bottom. It looks like maybe they had it on floats at one time. I removed them today but need to do a little covering to make it look better. I have maxed out the throw on all the surfaces, they can't go any more without ripping the hinges out. The engine has been stored for a while so I am not sure if it will start right up but I think it will.

I might be able to take it out for a spin tomorrow.
waynemia is online now Find More Posts by waynemia