HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2009, 08:08 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,046 Posts
Your photos/thread just answered my questions a lot faster then their on-line help did! For 112 beans I'm in!

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2009, 08:21 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,774 Posts
Mike,

Thanks for taking the time to take all those pictures. I've been pouring over them and really the only question is whether those packs will actually fit in that nose somehow. I love how this plane looks.

I look forward to hearing back from you on battery placement. One of the big challenges of the Spit is that super stubby nose, which makes it hard to balance. Looking at that photo you took looking down the body of the fuse, it appears that they've built the body very light in order to help get the CG. The formers are sparse and light. Hopefully it's still fairly strong.

Heck, to get it to balance you may NEED a big honking pack like a 6S 5000 mah put up front behind the motor.

On my 50 sized CMP P51, the primary issue was the weakness of the very front piece of plywood. In order to get packs mounted through the battery hatch, the motor had to be mounted to the front of the plane, not to a firewall or the other wood formers running up the length. But the front of the plane was flimsy, so the motor keeps going into major vibration because it's not attached to something strong. I still haven't solved that problem, so the bird is grounded.

Would you do me a huge favor and just grab the front and flex it a bit and see if you think it's strong enough to hold that motor without wobbling?

Thanks Mike! Can't wait to see it flying!
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2009, 09:26 PM
L.I. NY
Joined Dec 2006
243 Posts
[

fly20 is offline Find More Posts by fly20
Last edited by fly20; Nov 27, 2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 04:08 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
20,836 Posts
this is a pretty sweet looking bird! aside from the large stab, and wide gear placement, it looks pretty damn good. i have the .50 P-51. still need to put it together. i got a turnigy 50-55-700. plan to run 4s 5000 and keep the weight decent, and shoot for about 800-900W on a 15" prop. we'll see what pitch that ends up beeing, probably 15x12 or so. looking forward to seeing your progress. i will say, even though the 51 feels a tad porky, the build quality is real nice. built like a brick crap house. great for the price. i hear the 51 flies sweet, so iom looking forward to the spit. should be a beaut.
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 01, 2009, 08:49 AM
Joined Aug 2009
5 Posts
My Spitfire has arrived, still in box. I'm just finishing up the CMP 182-50, then I can get going on the Spitfire, might save it for a winter project. I have the pilot to paint also.
rlafolle is offline Find More Posts by rlafolle
Old Dec 01, 2009, 09:10 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,774 Posts
I got hosed by another online vendor who emailed me back after ordering a plane on sale and telling me I couldn't have it any more at the sale price.

Boy that sucked because it was a great deal, a $420 plane marked down to $297.

Imagine my surprise when I checked Nitroplanes and the Spit was still selling at $99. I used that coupon code somebody mentioned earlier "Pricepickle", and bam... shipped to my house for $107.

Can I just say how nice it is that Nitroplanes only charges me what it actually COSTS to ship the item to an adjacent state? Most other vendors I buy from charge what it costs to ship coast-to-coast, regardless how close I am... just one very expensive flat shipping rate anywhere in the US. That irks me because they make more margin on the shipping sometimes than on the actual plane.

Anyway, Nitroplanes rocks. I'm just starting on my CMPro Me109 73" warbird, then will get the Spit done next (unless I get a sudden urge to swap order).

Good luck on your builds, everybody. Post pictures of your engine/battery mounting setups if you would please! And maiden videos for sure, if you wouldn't mind!

Cheers!

Todd
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2009, 09:55 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
i got a turnigy 50-55-700. plan to run 4s 5000 and keep the weight decent, and shoot for about 800-900W on a 15" prop.
A 700kv motor this size would be perfect. I've got the 600kv version in my CMP P51, but getting a 700kv would be even better. Are you sure you found a 700kv 50-55 somewhere, or was that a typo?

I'm actually considering the 50-45 890 KV motor just to save additional weight and fly with a 4S 5000mah. I have one of the old purple HXT's sitting in a drawer, from a plane that my XPS receiver toasted a few years back when it shut down in flight.

Probably should do a power test with it first, see if it can run a full sustained flight with the intended prop.

Anybody know what spinner size this Spitfire needs?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2009, 11:14 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
20,836 Posts
its a turnigy motor. i think i payed 30 bucks, or less. great motors for the price. ive had a number of them, including a 63-64-230kv that is over a year and a half old, and going strong. i plan to run a pretty big prop on 4s, i got the 700kv in case i wanted to run a 4 blade. probably just do 2, but ill give 4 a try.

next time i come up to farmington, well have to hook up and go flying
Old Dec 01, 2009, 11:34 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,774 Posts
Corsair Nut,

Definitely PM me next time you come this way! And bring that 5kw Turbax jet with you for heavens sake! I gotta see that thing!

Yeah, I love the Turnigy stuff. I've got that same 63-64-230, ran it for years in a big Gee Bee, got several of the 55 sized and smaller ones as well.

I just can't find a 700kv version of a turnigy anywhere on HK's site.

ANYBODY,

Would somebody who has the Spit please measure the diameter of the spinner for me? I've got to get an order in for electronics, but am waiting for that specification. It's not on their web site anywhere. I want to change the spinner to a 3 or 4 blade.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2009, 12:37 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
20,836 Posts
thats funny, i just ordered it like 3 weeks ago.

takes up alot of space in the car....need room for the kids! maybe ill have my .50 P-51 done by the spring time when we plan to head up there.
Old Dec 01, 2009, 01:01 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,774 Posts
Sounds like you need yourself a hobby trailer! I caved in and got one a few years ago, it sure makes it a lot nicer to travel... I can take my whole fleet and my whole family.

My P51 needs a few repairs (tore the gear out when I caught a bush on takeoff and cartwheeled a few times). But shouldn't be too bad. I love flying warbird formation passes, so just let me know if you're bringing the Spit or P51 and I'll make sure to have mine ready.

We've got a great field to fly off of, a huge sod farm. We fly foamies over the grassy area, and big birds off of the fresh cut dirt.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2009, 01:33 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
20,836 Posts
ive flown at that field just off the frwy thats got a REAL long paved runway, been there a few times with dave stack and wade joos. nice field....the old kodgers get a little annoying though!

man, i may need to get a little spit, ive got the kyosho 90, and love it. re did the paint job. have you seen that one?

for my 51, i plan to do retracts, struts, and scale size flaps, which means i need to cut the ailerons shorter. probably monocote the wings again after all that to save weight, and paint over the monocote. im not sure what scheme im gunna do yet, probably "lady alice" im getting a ride in her in a few weeks...cant freakin wait. talk about a life long dream!!!!! i became buds with the guy that owns it without knowing he owned it. what a super nice guy. fellow rc'er.
Old Dec 01, 2009, 01:51 PM
Saskatoon, SK.
Joined Oct 2009
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
...not sure what scheme im gunna do yet, probably "lady alice" im getting a ride in her in a few weeks...cant freakin wait. talk about a life long dream!!!!! i became buds with the guy that owns it without knowing he owned it. what a super nice guy. fellow rc'er.
Wow! I'm jealous.

I wonder what a plane like that cost to maintain... never mind ponying up for one to begin with?
etotheo is offline Find More Posts by etotheo
Old Dec 01, 2009, 02:36 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,774 Posts
Corsair Nut,

Yeah, I like that UTE field near the airport, though the asphalt is pretty ripped up. Crashed my nicest plane there at their last fly-in. Too bad they're losing the site to a freaking soccer complex. Ugh. Wade Joos is a fantastic modeler, world-class. Love his chromified bomber, I've seen that fly several times (and crash badly once).

Their new site is another half hour west on the way out to Reno near the Salt Flats. Not as convenient, but still pretty nice.

A buddy in my club has that same Kyosho Spit, it's beautiful, though the cowl is a bit whimpy. I'm building the CMP 109 to fly formation with his spit.

I'm jealous in ways the English language can't properly describe, getting to fly in a twin-seat P51. Ugh, I'm green with an unhealthy kind of envy! I'll just say, I hope you have a blast! I wish I were gonna be there to see it! Lemme know if that guy gives tours, I'll swing by next time I'm out your way.

Cheers!

Todd
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2009, 04:10 PM
Southgate, MI
Joined Feb 2008
30 Posts
Hey everyone, been trying to pick out a plane for my mother in law to get me for Christmas when I stumbled across this little gem.
I have to wait till the 25th to open it so I'm excited to see what power setups you guys choose and some flight reviews. Keep us posted

Corsair Nut,
Enjoy that ride for all of us, I missed out on my chance to ride in a Mustang this summer and I'm still kicking myself.
I was doing flight instructor training at Willow Run airport in Ypsilanti, MI and as I was finishing the Mustang in the next hangar was being pre-flighted.

The next day my instructor told me 5 min after I left the pilot came into the flight center and asked if anyone wanted to go for a ride, he needed more weight to do some maneuvers. I missed a ride by 5 minutes, who knows what kind of spins and flips he was looking to do.

Here is the plane though: Gentleman Jim
kenthedragon is offline Find More Posts by kenthedragon