HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2014, 12:56 PM
Joined Sep 2014
23 Posts
Discussion
433mhz beacon transmitter Desensitizing 2.4ghz Spektrum DX6i receiver

I made the coolest tiny beacon transmitter for under $1. It has a range of 2 miles to help me find my lost airplane. Unfortunately I can't fly more than 100m away, because the receiver is desensitized. It's only 10mw output. Luckily I noticed this during range testing before I took off. No matter where I place the new transmitter. I can put the antenna right behind the Prop, or back near the rudder, it doesn't matter. Can I use a low/highpass filter? Is there a simple timer that I can use to keep it off for 30 minutes? I don't want to include another Arduino board, since the transmitter is smaller than a dime.

Any suggestions? I so want to use this idea. Help!
Steve
SBright33 is offline Find More Posts by SBright33
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2014, 01:06 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,725 Posts
Have you looked at your output harmonics? How are you powering the beacon?

How are you powering the receiver? What receiver are you using? What modulation mode?

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 07, 2014, 03:59 PM
Joined Sep 2014
23 Posts
I don't have a spectrum analyzer, but 5 or 6 x 433.94 is not 2.4. I was powering it thru the 5v servo plug on the Spektrum receiver. Is that a problem? Should I use a separate battery?

I am using this with DX6i
http://www.amazon.com/Spektrum-DSMX-.../dp/B004M166WE
Old Oct 07, 2014, 04:08 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,725 Posts
If your DX6i in DSM2 mode? Do you power up the beacon prior to powering up the transmitter?

Yes, it's a problem to power them from the same battery. A separate battery will help immensely.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 07, 2014, 04:16 PM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,289 Posts
Quote:
I made the coolest tiny beacon transmitter for under $1
You made it ?

So how do you know the frequency is 433mhz and the power is 10mW ?

Quote:
It has a range of 2 miles to help me find my lost airplane.
With good line of sight maybe, but very much reduced range for a crashed model on the ground in urban or forest areas, maybe as low as 200M or less.

So if the beacon is working, how exactly do you intend to find the model ?

I do think you are assuming you can make something for $1 and it will turn it into some sort of magic very long range locator for finding lost models, unfortunately its really not so simple.
srnet is online now Find More Posts by srnet
Last edited by srnet; Oct 07, 2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2014, 05:31 PM
Joined Sep 2014
23 Posts
Andy you're a Genius! Almost perfect with a small separate battery. I'm using a satellite receiver also. If the Xmitter is near the main receiver, 1 orientation works perfectly, the other about 90% of the distance in Range Check mode. If it's near the satellite, then the opposite is true. Just need a little more distance then I'm golden...
Old Oct 07, 2014, 05:37 PM
Joined Sep 2014
23 Posts
srnet, I measured the input power with my multimeter. I've already tested it at 2 miles, using my Ham HT. It works even in the deepest PA woods. I simply use my rubber antenna driving or walking until I get full quieting in FM mode. Then I remove the antenna and use my finger, walking until the signal is stronger on my signal strength meter. Then I remove my finger and walk until I'm within 10ft of the model. I have tested all this, it's easy. To make it even easier I can use a directional antenna, but this is not needed. I've been doing Fox Hunting in the Ham Radio community since 1978. If all that fails, at close range, I also have a Loc8tor on all models, and a TK102 on my larger models. There's no way I'm going to lose a model in the woods! It really is that simple.
Old Oct 07, 2014, 05:40 PM
Joined Sep 2014
23 Posts
Would anyone like one? I can make more!