HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:58 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,765 Posts
Subscribed!

Thanks for the link to Dave on the K-Fm thread.

Sorry Dave, if it looks as though I'm following you about - you just have too many good things to recommend!

nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:09 AM
Joined Nov 2012
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari7up View Post
hii Guys...just build my mako seaplane , thanks before for the awsome plan.

be hung up until the esc and motor arrived from hk ,
my setup will be turnigy 2826-6 2200kv , turnigy plush 40A , 6 x 4E prop , 3 cells 2200mah 35C....is that ok for mako?
Bravo Mr.Atari
Nice Mako. waiting esc, brushless, etc?
waiting maiden flight you're mako, don't forget to share in this forum. OK
suhaimi_aldi is offline Find More Posts by suhaimi_aldi
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:29 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
Nice flying but man that was a bit spooky. I was begaining to wonder if you were going to be able to get the plane back to you. Thanks for the video. I still haven't got to fly mine since I put the 3 axis stabilizer on it.

Tom
Thanks, yeah right after I started to fly that wind really kicked up and started to blow it backwards as I was trying to hover! You'll love the way it handles in the wind with the 3-axis stabilizer! FYI - Don't have the gain set too high on the stabilizer or your roll rate will decrease and become sort of robotic.
baddb1 is offline Find More Posts by baddb1
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:07 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,996 Posts
question what is the correct downthrust angle, I am going with a nylon tube mount system
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:21 AM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,765 Posts
Great work Dave!

Are your KF steps all 6mm?

Cheers

Nick
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:13 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,996 Posts
yes 6mm steps ..and all direct laminations to keep it easy... I did think of building this exactly as plan... but I just like KFm sections , it does away with the wing spars and makes the model easier to handle , just grab it anywhere on the thicker part of the wing.. and its just as easy to make it a KF as it is to fit the wing CF spars..

anyone know if WD40 will do instead of corosion X
Last edited by davereap; Nov 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:19 PM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,765 Posts
The wingtip... With steps of 6mm, the thickest point of the wing will be 18mm, That's fine while the chord is at least 180mm.

I'm interested to see what you're going to do about the wingtips. I'm sure you've got a plan!

Watching and learning!

Nick
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:57 PM
(ACCELLERATII INCREDIBUS)
Jenison Michigan
Joined Apr 2008
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
question what is the correct downthrust angle, I am going with a nylon tube mount system
6 deg down thrust angle on the motor mount. And I would not trust WD-40 for waterproofing. CorrosionX is way better!!

John.
aircontrol is online now Find More Posts by aircontrol
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:49 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchud View Post
The wingtip... With steps of 6mm, the thickest point of the wing will be 18mm, That's fine while the chord is at least 180mm.

I'm interested to see what you're going to do about the wingtips. I'm sure you've got a plan!

Watching and learning!

Nick
I didn't do anything special to the wingtips on my KFm4 Mako. Flat plates to the tips.
The Mako won't tipstall as it is a delta wing based platform. When it stalls, it stalls straight forward.

Chris
Tomahawk is offline Find More Posts by Tomahawk
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:49 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,996 Posts
There is no need to do anything with the tips... I would worry if the %age (20%) was that high along the whole wing or a large length of it, but after two inches the numbers are more acceptable and much closer to the 10% target we aim at for our sections..
I have made quite a few deltas and propjets where the wings are similar and I have never noticed any degradation in their flight
You've got to go a lot higher with those %age numbers before you will find the wing is noticeably not performing well, and it also needs to be higher over a longer part of the wing..On deltas the numbers also drop to very low %ages down at the root.. again it doesn't matter, low numbers are fine, I never build up the step to compensate for that sort of drop..
keep it simple , 3mm deep or 6mm deep steps (preferred) are fine for this sized model..on bigger models I have gone up to as much as 12mm for the step,but now find instead that two 6mm steps across the chord do a better job and 4x 3mm would do even better..
You have to build to suit your foam, so your options depend mostly on what you've got

Thanks John 6% down it is...

The decor is all 2" tape (staples packing tape).. and the whole of the model will be covered, at the moment I am doing the clear tape where it will be staying white.. On the top there will be another white band , then the rear of the wing will get more yellow.. and the tailplain will be orange...Below it is going to be a simple blue and white design, but first Ive got to get some more blue tape..
I knocked out a couple of suitable logos..laser printed and all covered and fixed with clear tape while I was at it...
Last edited by davereap; Nov 14, 2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:39 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,996 Posts
decor done...the whole model is taped over...clear tape is used over the white areas
The tape added 1 3/8oz ..38gms to the model.... its now at 11.25oz including the 4x 9gm servos...so it looks like mine will be about the 21oz when done when using a 2200 battery
Below is a sketchup trace over that might help if anyone wants to make a different sized Mako..
I like sketchup for scaling models and printing...however a very good and easy to use alternative is the ScaleAndTile3 program from bill segraves

edit....its all done ...with a 2212-06 and a 6x4 prop... draw is 24A static ...AUW a bit high to the spec , at 25oz with a heavy 2200 30C lipo..The radio is set is all programmed with the recommended travels and expo, all sorted nice...
Last edited by davereap; Nov 17, 2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:16 AM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,765 Posts
Inspiring Dave!

As always.

Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
For the RealFlight 6 build, I'd like to get a couple of pics for an area I'm having problems with. Click here for details. Feel free to post pics either in this thread, or the one I linked. I'll find them either way. Thanks.
jeffpn is offline Find More Posts by jeffpn
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:51 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,996 Posts
All done with a 25oz AUW.... what are your weights?...