SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 24, 2014, 04:06 PM
Penny. Penny. Penny
United States, MD, Reisterstown
Joined Dec 2012
131 Posts
Discussion
Need a Plan

I'm new to RC flying. I understand that it is important to be able to repair/rebuild our planes because we will inevitablycrash them. I thought, perhaps, the best way to learn to repair is to scratchbuild a foamy.

Was hoping to find a plan that would illustrate the build for a 4 channel trainer foamy that is similar to say a Champ or Delta Ray (doesn't necessarily have to be either one). It would need to becompatible with Spectrum radios.

I'm educated and can read but not handy. I haven't burned the house down yet!!! It takes me 3 times longer than most folks to repair a bicycle, So, you get the picture,

I need detailed instructions and diagrams until I get the "hang of it".

Please !! Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks
llasov is offline Find More Posts by llasov
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2014, 04:19 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,946 Posts
Ken (dz1sfb) has probably the best build guide on here for his Osh Kosh Special, which is a high wing Cessna/champ type plane that is a great trainer. Do a "search this forum" search. You will want to know how to do that too!

Incidently, welcome to RC, RCGroups and foamies. You will find foamies build easier than traditional construction, and are more durable. Best is they break into big easily repairable chunks when crashed. (And they take a lot more crashing to break!)

Also take a look at the 600+ planes thread stickey at top of the forum first page. Browse through it , find a plane that catches your eye and go to the build thread to find out how easy or hard ut is to build and fly, see the plans, and how it goes together.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2014, 06:24 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasov View Post
I'm new to RC flying. I understand that it is important to be able to repair/rebuild our planes because we will inevitablycrash them. I thought, perhaps, the best way to learn to repair is to scratchbuild a foamy.

Was hoping to find a plan that would illustrate the build for a 4 channel trainer foamy that is similar to say a Champ or Delta Ray (doesn't necessarily have to be either one). It would need to becompatible with Spectrum radios.

I'm educated and can read but not handy. I haven't burned the house down yet!!! It takes me 3 times longer than most folks to repair a bicycle, So, you get the picture,

I need detailed instructions and diagrams until I get the "hang of it".

Please !! Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks
Will this be your very first time flying , or have you flown already ? If it will be your very first time , I recommend building an EzFly R3 . The EzFly R3 is VERY stable and can be slow flying if built lightweight . Also , the motor/prop are protected in a nose first crash .

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1174874

Another first time builder/flyer recently built an EzFly R3 , here is his build thread with a video of his first successful flight in post #151 .

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2118564

If you have flown before and are ready for 4 channel control ( throttle , yaw , pitch and roll ) , I recommend the FireFly ( delta like the Delta Ray ) . It also has the motor/prop protected in a nose first crash . As with any plane , build lightweight for slower flight .

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=943610

BTW , compatibility with Spektrum radios is just a matter of getting a Spektrum compatible receiver for your plane .

Al

Here's a video of a large FireFly .

RC Giant Foam Firefly Maiden Flight (5 min 5 sec)
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Mar 24, 2014, 06:47 PM
Penny. Penny. Penny
Joined Dec 2012
131 Posts
Balsa or Carbon,

Great reply - thank you.

The FireFly interests me. However, I'm not too thrilled about the pointy nose.
Answering your question - I have a Champ and Apprentice sitting in unopened boxes. I waiting to meet with a club instructor for my fisrt lesson. I am able to fly (not great) 4 channel micro helis and quads.

I am going to peruse the FireFly thread.

Thanks again.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 09:38 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,895 Posts
The nice thing about making your own scratch built plane is you can customize it any way you want to . If you don't like the pointy nose on the FireFly , just cut it off or round it off . And you should definitely name it BAZINGA !

Al
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Mar 25, 2014, 03:58 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jul 2011
175 Posts
If you are new to flying I recommend getting a plane with a stabilization system. One of the guys new to the field showed up with a trainer type plane [don't remember what it was, } we looked it over and test flew it. Then handed him the controls and gave him verbal guidance. Despite being his first time flying he was flying like a pro. Doing touch and go's and landing and taking off on his own.
Artski is offline Find More Posts by Artski
Old Mar 25, 2014, 04:46 PM
Penny. Penny. Penny
Joined Dec 2012
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artski View Post
If you are new to flying I recommend getting a plane with a stabilization system. One of the guys new to the field showed up with a trainer type plane [don't remember what it was, } we looked it over and test flew it. Then handed him the controls and gave him verbal guidance. Despite being his first time flying he was flying like a pro. Doing touch and go's and landing and taking off on his own.
He was probably younger than me!!!
Old Mar 27, 2014, 09:32 AM
United States, CA, North Highlands
Joined Mar 2014
42 Posts
I've got a few plans

I've got a few plans that a very easy, look very cool, and fly super well. I'm new as well and I was able to build one in less than a day. I'll put up pics, I've made 2 same plane just on is %50 scale of plans. The other is full plan follow. Very cool and very easy
Sam.Cee916 is offline Find More Posts by Sam.Cee916
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:50 AM
Penny. Penny. Penny
Joined Dec 2012
131 Posts
Sam,

Would love to see the plans.

Thanks!!
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:51 AM
Penny. Penny. Penny
Joined Dec 2012
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
The nice thing about making your own scratch built plane is you can customize it any way you want to . If you don't like the pointy nose on the FireFly , just cut it off or round it off . And you should definitely name it BAZINGA !

Al
If I build 3, I would name them

Penny
Penny
Penny
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:46 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,895 Posts
Quote: