HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:51 PM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk4787 View Post
Going to have to mix business with pleasure again but I've decided to part ways with my GoPro Hero 2. Spent a lot of time thinking about it but I realized that I got into FPV less for the aerial video aspect and more for the simulation of flying the plane so I prefer the "OSD view". RCM's video (and other videos here) have shown me that I can get a decent picture quality out of a regular FPV camera so I'm probably not going to be utilizing the GoPro to it's fullest extent.

In either case, if anyone's interested (especially fellow Canadian's), let me know. Am selling the camera bundled with all useful accessories (RMRC pan/tilt, LayerLens protector, FPV wiring harness, 16gb card).

-NK
I am using my gopro h2 for my fpv osd view now and find it to be much the same as what I was getting out of a sony cam I was running. Thought to try it to shed some weight.
So you have the rmrc pan/tilt for the hero? I may be interested in that as I had the pod for my osd camera and I think they use the same base.
Shadrack is offline Find More Posts by Shadrack
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:04 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2001
13,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
Nope, showed him how I could hit the side of my fire pit at WOT though..

I'm curious to see how the vibration is too, the gopro mount I have is for the camera sans case, so I may put my HK wingcam on it first couple of flights.

Awhile back someone here (Art?) mentioned a good place to get plastic standoffs - anyone remember where?
I got the plastic stand off kit off ebay, the link is back in the some place, I can get it for you once I get home.

Is it recommended to hard mount your flight controller?

As far as the speed controller wiring, I've had the best luck by leaving the ground wire, removing the 5 volt power lead, then twisting them before you put them in the receiver.
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:30 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,968 Posts
Found the link Art - for anyone else looking it's here: http://bit.ly/A1ZukC

Tom @hoverthings says its fine to hard mount this controller, I think the earlier versions needed to be mounted on grommets or nylon standoffs.
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:49 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
Found the link Art - for anyone else looking it's here: http://bit.ly/A1ZukC

Tom @hoverthings says its fine to hard mount this controller, I think the earlier versions needed to be mounted on grommets or nylon standoffs.
I wonder how they figure they can get away without some vibration absorbing of some kind?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:04 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,372 Posts
Need tape anyone ? here is a nice info I found on the forum: https://www.tapebrothers.com/Product...Code=OPP20CRE2

Looooots of tape there !
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 Carguy FPV year
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:10 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,978 Posts
I received the motors I ordered for the "H" quad I'm building, smooth transaction from HobbyPartz as usual... except the prop mounts are too big for the motors. Drat!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:48 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,978 Posts
I got a chance to work in my shop a bit tonight, I did email Hobbypartz about the improper prop mount, but frankly I don't expect a response. So I'm back in the motor conversion biz.

Got one converted to the motor shaft, out the other side.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:02 AM
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
I still have no idea what you did, but I am glad you had it working.

I love the transparent prop, it looks great.

Is that the new APC transparent series? Can you post a link where you bought them?
pajonate is offline Find More Posts by pajonate
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:20 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajonate View Post
I still have no idea what you did, but I am glad you had it working.

I love the transparent prop, it looks great.

Is that the new APC transparent series? Can you post a link where you bought them?
Just a spinning prop and a camera with a slow shutter!

The motor's shaft came out the base end, for the most part we need them to come out of the rotor/bell end of the motor. So I had to remove the motor shaft, move it 12mm, add a new flat on the shaft for the setscrew, then I used my lathe to make a shaft retainer out of brass.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:26 PM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
My DVR

Ordered a spare A/V cable Feb 26. Came 3 weeks later. Looks and works like the one that came with the unit. It turns out that the A/V out port is a pass-through, so you can send the same signal that is present at the A/V in port to any device that you want to.
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:20 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,978 Posts
Nice.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:58 PM
Joined Jan 2011
175 Posts
While testing my FPV rig - I used a 4s LiPo instead of 3s. It powers the plane, EZOSD, and the HK Video Tx. It worked but is that too much voltage for the OSD and video Tx? I am worried that it might burn something in the long run. I used 4s because plane uses it before it got converted for FPV. Might as well just stick to 3s. Any ideas? Thanks.
k0mputer is offline Find More Posts by k0mputer
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:04 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0mputer View Post
While testing my FPV rig - I used a 4s LiPo instead of 3s. It powers the plane, EZOSD, and the HK Video Tx. It worked but is that too much voltage for the OSD and video Tx? I am worried that it might burn something in the long run. I used 4s because plane uses it before it got converted for FPV. Might as well just stick to 3s. Any ideas? Thanks.
I think you are taking a big risk at 4S unless documentation specifically say the 4S is OK. I think your best bet is to carry a small 3S battery for the video system, will isolate ESC noise from your video signal.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:04 PM
Joined Jan 2011
175 Posts
Yeah I think 3S is safer. Right now there is no video noise but will try a separate battery that will power the video tx and osd. I found out that there is a jumper on the osd that I can change to do that. Also, I ordered some Ferrite rings. What wires would need that ring and how many turns at least? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
I think you are taking a big risk at 4S unless documentation specifically say the 4S is OK. I think your best bet is to carry a small 3S battery for the video system, will isolate ESC noise from your video signal.
k0mputer is offline Find More Posts by k0mputer
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:24 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0mputer View Post
Yeah I think 3S is safer. Right now there is no video noise but will try a separate battery that will power the video tx and osd. I found out that there is a jumper on the osd that I can change to do that. Also, I ordered some Ferrite rings. What wires would need that ring and how many turns at least? Thanks.
No torriods unless something doesn't work OK without them.