Old Sep 17, 2006, 11:18 PM
Find More Posts by Curare
KE your cub.
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2005
4,333 Posts
Discussion
Southern Sailplanes?

HAs anyone had anything to do with any of the southern sailplanes ships?

I'm looking around for a decent TD ship, that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg.
Curare is online now Find More Posts by Curare
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2006, 02:48 AM
Find More Posts by spatial
fullhouse newbie
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Dec 2004
435 Posts
Yes

I've got a T-Bird with FR wing. My T-Bird has held up extremely well as a first model, tho' I've been told it is too quick for beginner. Perhaps so but I've grown to appreciate it's penetration and reasonably wide performance envelope, and to ignore the advice of "gasbag" pilots to "slow it down".

The club I fly with uses the Prelude Plus as it's recommended trainer and the Ricochet is a popular slope and thermal model.

The kits Ralph Learmont does are very nicely put together. His fibreglass fuses are very strong, and extremely well finished. The foam cores that come in the kits can't be faulted and all balsa supplied is hand selected by Ralph.

kkw did a review for the HSL a while back, but it gives a good idea what you can expect:

http://www.hsl.org.au/articles/ricochet.pdf

I've spoken to a few people in the past few months who have said there is/was a long wait on Ricochets, but you would do well to contact Ralph directly for an ETD. BTW Ralph is a really great person to deal with and extremely helpful.
spatial is offline Find More Posts by spatial
Old Sep 18, 2006, 02:57 AM
KE your cub.
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2005
4,333 Posts
Cheers.

To be honest, I'm really just chasing a nice cheap effective TD to do club comps with and just general sunday goofing

I was thinking of something like an apollo, an UL ricco
Old Sep 18, 2006, 03:32 AM
fullhouse newbie
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Dec 2004
435 Posts
The Rico's are nice, but I don't own one so I can't comment beyond my personal experience as noted above. I wasn't suggesting you get a T-Bird, more giving you an impression of my experiences with a Southern Sailplanes kit, as your question was a pretty open ended query about SS.

Ralph's kits are solid and his designs are very good for the period they were put together - for example the T-Bird was competitive enough (when designed in the early 80's) to consistently beat Sagitta 600's etc in a local 2M speed/duration comp series, and the Rico was a top-10 WC finisher.

Probably more on point, it was recently suggested to me that a Rico would be a good entry level sailplane for use in Open Thermal comps. So that might be the way to go.

If you want a classic sailplane at a reasonable price, you really can't go wrong with any of his designs.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 04:35 AM
KE your cub.
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2005
4,333 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I know that a few glider guiders around these parts have rico's and they like them.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 08:38 AM
Find More Posts by Doubletap
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Does Southern Sailplanes have a website?

Thanks,

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Sep 18, 2006, 04:10 PM
fullhouse newbie
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Dec 2004
435 Posts
Yes,

http://www.southernsailplanes.com.au

Curare,

the eclipse looks pretty nice as an f3j/td bird...

cheers
Paul
Last edited by spatial; Sep 18, 2006 at 04:17 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 05:22 PM
Find More Posts by seanpcola
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,097 Posts
The 4.1 meter version of the Eclipse looks interesting. Any of your flying buddies have any experience with it? I may mail SS and see what their policy is on shipping to the Con US.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 18, 2006, 07:39 PM
KE your cub.
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2005
4,333 Posts
I have been informed that the design of these planes is a little dated, so I wouldn't expect extremely competitive ships but for general flying, they look like they'd be pretty well suited.

I'll see what Ralph has to say.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:10 PM
fullhouse newbie
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Dec 2004
435 Posts
Yup, they are 1980's state of the art
Old Sep 19, 2006, 01:03 AM
KE your cub.
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2005
4,333 Posts
Back when shoelaces were fat and Michael Jackson was black.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 01:54 AM
kkw
Find More Posts by kkw
kkw
Sydney Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare
Cheers.

To be honest, I'm really just chasing a nice cheap effective TD to do club comps with and just general sunday goofing

I was thinking of something like an apollo, an UL ricco
I have had a couple of Ricochet's - unlimited, Bullet and Thermal. They were a great model 20 years ago, and unfortunately (depending on your point of view) Ralph hasn't updated his materials or manufacture process. The fuselage is strong - until you drill out the holes for the wing joiners, alignment pins etc. They are made from chopped strand mat, with a gelcoat finish. They weigh probably 3 times as much as a modern glass fuselage and are nowhere near as strong. They do still look very nice though. I have also had an Eclipse. They have a heavy aluminium tube spar and joiner bar, which tends to increase the dihedral if you stand on the winch a bit long.
As a shameless plug, the Blejzyk Hammer or Vampire which I import, are a much better option. They are also pre-sheeted and ARF, whilst the SS kits require a load of work.
Do look around though, and make your choices.
kkw is offline Find More Posts by kkw
Old Sep 19, 2006, 04:30 AM
fullhouse newbie
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Dec 2004
435 Posts
Yah, Ralph is pretty much out of the game. He hasn't flown for a few years but still keeps the SS thing ticking along slowly. So no new development or keeping up with technological advances etc. This also goes a long way to explaining the rumored waiting time on Rico's.

But if you are after a "classic" they can't be beat and I guess it is really a case of get em while you can, if that's what you want...
Old Sep 19, 2006, 04:50 PM
Find More Posts by seanpcola
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,097 Posts
Yeah, I assumed that most of the stuff was not recent. E-205 airfoil and such gives it away. I just like a lot of the older stuff too. I liked the looks which is different from most anything I see around here. I have a couple of "state of the art" birds but like to fly old and/or unusual stuff also.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 17, 2006, 07:13 AM
Find More Posts by Dinkus
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
32 Posts
I've had a Southern Sailplanes Ricochet Sports 100 inch for 2 years or so now. An absolutely awesome flyer and is my current favorite. :-)

Ralph Learmont is a lovely fellow and I couldn't speak more highly of his kits and his knowledge in this field.

Top notch.
Dinkus is online now Find More Posts by Dinkus