New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2015, 02:43 PM
Find More Posts by fbsully993
Joined May 2015
49 Posts
Help!
v911 upgrades

what upgrades should do to my v911 lighting bird looking for anything to help with flying in wind and just for a better performance what do you guys think i should do
fbsully993 is online now Find More Posts by fbsully993
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2015, 02:51 PM
Find More Posts by JohnFM
Joined Oct 2014
1,082 Posts
Save your money. The 911 is a fair weather flyer and that's it.
Unless you want to pour a ton of money for flashy machined metal parts for a little 20 dollar helicopter.
For a 20 dollar bill you can buy enough parts to keep it flying forever.
JohnFM is offline Find More Posts by JohnFM
Old May 21, 2015, 02:55 PM
Joined May 2015
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFM View Post
Save your money. The 911 is a fair weather flyer and that's it.
Unless you want to pour a ton of money for flashy machined metal parts for a little 20 dollar helicopter.
For a 20 dollar bill you can buy enough parts to keep it flying forever.
the lighting bird cost $50 and do you think i should get this instead of upgrading it? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...at_Ver_2_.html
Old May 21, 2015, 03:02 PM
Find More Posts by Florida Heli
Expert Heli Crasher
Joined Jan 2014
2,175 Posts
Every possible performance-enhancing mod available for the v911 is in my blog here at RCG. I loved, loved, loved my v911 fleet, and I still sort of miss it.

You will never have much success with it in more than a few MPH of wind. Why? 1) It's a tiny micro that gets blown all over the place b/c it's as light as a feather, and 2) It's a fixed pitch helicopter so you have no way to force the heli down by reversing the pitch of the main blades.

The single most important thing is to add a tiny bit of nose weight. See my blog for more info. Why? Because it will allow you to point the nose down more easily and fly it down when the wind gets caught under the rotor disc and lofts you up. You would not want to push the COG forward like this on a collective pitch helicopter. It does work for fixed pitch helicopters though.

Oh, and forget about the "paddle bar" that some people add on. It's incorrect physics. The v911 is designed for a weighted balance bar, not a paddled flybar.

So, I read your post about helicopters and the wind in your area. There are no easy answers. Fixed pitch helicopters generally are less expensive and easier to fly than collective pitch helicopters, but they all loft up in the wind like a kite. Collective pitch helicopters are generally more expensive, and it has taken me years to learn to actually fly one (slow learner here - I admit), but a collective pitch helicopter lets you push the heli down when the wind tries to take it up. Then there is the size issue. The tiny helis like the v911 get blown around like feathers. You can't change that. A slightly larger and heavier heli like the collective pitch Walkera V120D02S does better because it's a bit bigger and it has collective pitch. It's also a whole lot more expensive and complicated. Then there are the 450-size helicopters. This is where I have finally found myself after a lot of struggling. I have a V450D03 and a Tarot 450. They do just fine in a breeze. A lot of experienced pilots can fly them in anything short of a storm.

In terms of price, a V450D03 runs about $250, and it also needs a transmitter like a Devo 10 for another $150. The total cost for the Tarot 450 that I just built was just under $300. A v911 BNF from Banggood is $21.

When a 450 crashes, there is a lot of damage. That's true of most CP helis due to the high head speed compared to FP. Smaller CP helis like the Super CP and Mini CP will often just bounce if you crash on grass, but anything bigger like the V120D02S almost always requires repair after a crash.

So, you have some decisions to make about budget, learning to fly, learning to repair, etc. Like you, I started out with the v911. Eventually, I did decide to move on, as much as I loved them.

-Florida Heli-
Florida Heli is online now Find More Posts by Florida Heli
Old May 21, 2015, 03:10 PM
Expert Heli Crasher
Joined Jan 2014
2,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsully993 View Post
... do you think i should get this instead of upgrading it? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...at_Ver_2_.html
There are few 450's available RTF. V450D03 and V450D01 are two of them.

If you want to know what your first kit build will be like, it ain't easy, and you should start here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2360371

Last year I was flying a fleet of v911 helicopters. This year, I survived building my first 450. I do not recommend the HK kits at all. Contrary to popular belief, the Tarot kit is very, very good quality, and it does not cost more than an Align because you have to use Align parts, blah blah, blah. The Tarot 450 Pro FBL is so good that I have a second one waiting to be built.

If you do decide to take on the task of building, you need to be realistic about spending at least $300 to do it, plus a decent transmitter, and also spending weeks if not months learning everything you need to know. If you have a local flying field, that's the place to start - before buying anything. Yes, you can do it on your own, and I did, with the help of folks here at RCG like CaptJac. Just be aware of what you are getting in to.

Have you considered buying a simulator so you can learn to fly collectivepitch helicopters? It's the best $100 I ever spent. I can "fly" night or day, wind or no wind, and crashes don't cost a dime.

Oh and they are DANGEROUS! A 450 can and will put you in the hospital immediately!!! Before you buy or build a 450, you need to know how to fly a collective pitch helicopter. Start with a micro CP and a simulator would be my recommendation.

-Florida Heli-
Last edited by Florida Heli; May 21, 2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old May 21, 2015, 03:19 PM
Joined May 2015
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Heli View Post
There are few 450's available RTF. V450D03 and V450D01 are two of them. If you want to know what your first kit build will be like, then just go here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2360371

Last year I was flying a fleet of v911 helicopters. This year, I survived building my first 450. I do not recommend the HK kits at all. Contrary to popular belief, the Tarot kit is very, very good quality, and it does not cost more than an Align because you have to use Align parts, blah blah, blah. The Tarot 450 Pro FBL is so good that I have a second one waiting to be built.

If you do decide to take on the task of building, you need to be realistic about spending at least $300 to do it, plus a decent transmitter, and also spending weeks if not months learning everything you need to know. If you have a local flying field, that's the place to start - before buying anything. Yes, you can do it on your own, and I did, with the help of folks here at RCG like CaptJac. Just be aware of what you are getting in to.

Have you considered buying a simulator so you can learn to fly collectivepitch helicopters? It's the best $100 I ever spent. I can "fly" night or day, wind or no wind, and crashes don't cost a dime.

Oh and they are DANGEROUS! A 450 can and will put you in the hospital immediately!!! Before you buy or build a 450, you need to know how to fly a collective pitch helicopter. Start with a micro CP and a simulator would be my recommendation.

-Florida Heli-
i also think there might be somthing wrong with the gyro i can literally do a back flip with my v911 and i can turn the helli upside down in flight
Old May 21, 2015, 04:31 PM
Find More Posts by CaptJac
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,324 Posts
Quote:
You will never have much success with it in more than a few MPH of wind.
Feels good don't it? You write a page and a half trying to help and it like writing to yourself.

CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2015, 05:06 PM
Joined May 2015
49 Posts
one thing that i hate is when ppl say get a simulator i know getting a sim will help me but all the good one cost $150 witch im like why just why i like learning on my own now if the simulators would just be like $20 then i would get one
Old May 21, 2015, 05:11 PM
Find More Posts by JohnFM
Joined Oct 2014
1,082 Posts
So, stick with $20 helis and fly them where there's no wind.
JohnFM is offline Find More Posts by JohnFM
Old May 21, 2015, 05:16 PM
Joined May 2015
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFM View Post
So, stick with $20 helis and fly them where there's no wind.
no no no no no no no no no no no no no ive been flying them for 3 years
Old May 21, 2015, 05:28 PM
Expert Heli Crasher
Joined Jan 2014
2,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsully993 View Post
no no no no no no no no no no no no no ive been flying them for 3 years
Then you have to spend money. Big doesn't come cheap, and CP doesn't come easy or cheap. I have spent roughly $2,800 in the past year and a half. Of course, that includes my three 450 helicopters.

-Florida Heli-
Old May 21, 2015, 05:35 PM
Expert Heli Crasher
Joined Jan 2014
2,175 Posts
From your other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
This isnt a cheap hobby.
If I were you, I would let one thread or the other die and just put your questions in one.

-Florida Heli-
Old May 21, 2015, 05:41 PM
Expert Heli Crasher
Joined Jan 2014
2,175 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJac View Post
Feels good don't it? You write a page and a half trying to help and it like writing to yourself.

Ah CaptJac! Good to see you here. Somehow you and Balr14 did finally get me away from the v911 and into a Bell scale fuselage with Tarot 450 mechanics in it.

I thank you, but my wallet does not!

-Florida Heli-
Old May 21, 2015, 05:59 PM
Joined May 2015
49 Posts
Quote:
Then you have to spend money. Big doesn't come cheap, and CP doesn't come easy or cheap. I have spent roughly $2,800 in the past year and a half. Of course, that includes my three 450 helicopters.

-Florida Heli-
ok im not new to the hobby just to helis i started out with cars and i know planty of thing about cars and planes but i would love to get into helis or quads and later on get into fpv i just need somthing i could buy and do upgrades on as i get more money im looking for a quad or heli
Old May 21, 2015, 06:58 PM
Find More Posts by norcalheli
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,818 Posts
As everyone has tried to tell you, the step up from the easy to fly FP V911 toy heli to a fully capable CP heli that will fly in wind is not cheap nor is it easy. CP helis are a challenge to learn, especially the one you asked about, the HK450. It's a 90 degree flybar collective pitch heli that comes to you in a tiny box full of parts and screws and nuts. You have to assemble everything. If by chance something is pre-assembled, you have to take it apart and re-assemble it using loctite. You have to set it up correctly. You have to select servos and tail gyro and motor and speed controller and receiver and transmitter. You have to set these up correctly. As Floridaheli said, plan on spending upwards of $300 on just the heli and electronics, not including the transmitter. And once you do that, if you try to fly it without help, the chances are very good that your first flight will last less than 10 seconds, and you will have a shattered heli that now needs new blades, new main shaft, new feathering shaft. It may have stripped the main gear, or servo gears, you may have a bent tail boom, broken tail rotor blades, etc., etc., etc.

And there is no shortcut. Helis priced under $50 are toys. Hobby grade helis that will handle wind are priced way more than $50. So what should you do? Forget about trying to mod the V911 and use it for what it is. A basic trainer. Learn everything you can from it, then get a micro CP. I'm partial to the Blade line, but they have eliminated their best CP trainer, the mCPx. In its place you could get the Nano CPx. I'm sure Floridaheli can help out with suggestions from the Walkera line. Whatever you get, practice, practice, practice. When you can hover in all orientations, and fly circuits and figure-eights with the micro CP, you will be more than ready to step up to a 450 or larger heli. And you will be able to fly it, not watch it self destruct. You have to walk before you can run.
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli