Old May 09, 2014, 06:08 PM
Find More Posts by gusmarr
Tucumán,Argentina
Joined Jul 2008
119 Posts
Discussion
EDF works perfectly with afterburner

Greetings!
I was showing my work in another post, but it is very old, I open this issue the issue here.
Project : EDF- Afterburner

Experimental findings .

I find it important to share my findings with respect to this project, since much has been made of this issue in many forums , and for a long time, and I have had very good results in the analysis and experimental evaluation of this device.
I enjoyed reading this, so for this question , I decided to invest some of my time to clarify things. As someone said, " The management is the worst is not done ."
For this reason I make available of all , what I did .
I do not know if it will be of interest to someone , at this time, but I think I should share this work .

Engine runs correctly, producing an increase of 100% thrust , without reaching the limit of development I think, as apparently , still oxygen in the combustion chamber to burn more fuel, raising the temperature and speed over gas escape and get more thrust.
In this video in my previous post , the variation of static thrust of EDF alone and cold 800gr , 1600gr is observed with hot afterburner on.
The problem has no solution, is the consumption of fuel, which is much question that limits the autonomy short time and its use in model aircraft, because I think that 5 or 6 minutes of flight , is the minimum and standard you can be in the air . I use regular gasoline .
Heat that mass of air at about 1000 C , according to the stoichiometric ratios necessary for good combustion , needs a lot of fuel. In mechanics and thermodynamics are no miracles ...
This engine always operates with afterburner . It is a hybrid engine , it is not feasible to use the EDF and at times activate the afterburner , because the increase in weight of the afterburner system, particularly the fuel required , ruins the thrust / weight of course you could use drone relationship. Apart from this, you must use a variable geometry nozzle to accommodate this issue . Enlarges the more are the hot exhaust gases, and shrinks when colder .
Adding to this "problem" , missed only EDF thrust ( push cold ) , due to the afterburner system in the diffuser inlet in flameholder etc. . The latter losses are not many, the biggest problem is the weight of the fuel limits the autonomy to one or two minutes, because otherwise , the relationship thrust / weight of all the Aeromodel , low quickly.
However, it is perfectly possible to use this hybrid motor, hobby applications , where 1 or 2 minutes are sufficient thrust . Here is a good design because it is of low economic cost , low-tech , very loud, quite spectacular to see and quite powerful ! , Could be reached rather higher than those obtained with only EDF speeds.
The speed of the exhaust gas is doubled with the afterburner ... literally remaining constant mass flow provided by the EDF .

The video is the first experimental demonstration of the statement in the title of the post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkCcxtNhPNo

This video shows the engine parts.
Any questions or curiosity let me know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFLTfobhqnE

In the future I will expose the data from these tests, and more photos.
Sorry for my poor English
gusmarr is offline Find More Posts by gusmarr
Last edited by gusmarr; May 09, 2014 at 07:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2014, 07:21 PM
Tucumán,Argentina
Joined Jul 2008
119 Posts
This video shows the test of Motorjet.
The gauges that are observed are to measure pressure in the combustion chamber (30-40 mbar) and fuel injection (1.5 -2 bar).

EDF Afterburner, Banco de pruebas (1 min 33 sec)
Old May 09, 2014, 07:57 PM
Tucumán,Argentina
Joined Jul 2008
119 Posts
This video is of the previous model, has a diffuser in fiberglass. It is easier to build and you can work with common and with precision

Mi jet engine, EDF afterburner,prototipo II (2 min 12 sec)
Old May 12, 2014, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by Steve C
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,260 Posts
Very cool! I wonder if you could get more cool air on the outside so it doesn't make the outside so hot?
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old May 12, 2014, 11:27 AM
Tucumán,Argentina
Joined Jul 2008
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Very cool! I wonder if you could get more cool air on the outside so it doesn't make the outside so hot?
Hi Steve C.
If there is a way I tried to make the stainless steel combustion chamber is not so hot.
I made the smaller diameter flameholder, to flow through the wall of the chamber combuestión a thin film of cold air. Works fine.
No looks red anywhere.
If this is done in reverse, the combustion chamber "shining" literally ....
Not really worked hard this issue because I was working on the operation of the system itself.

One also effective, although slightly heavier, the following method is seen in this diagram:
Last edited by gusmarr; May 12, 2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old May 12, 2014, 11:35 AM
Tucumán,Argentina
Joined Jul 2008
119 Posts
I run for 3 minutes on high power this engine, and did not break anything luckily, only residents protested because the reality is quite loud ... lol
The noise level is almost the same as my 14 lbs turbojet thrust when this maximum, and note well that I had closed my small workshop.
This is a problem for testing without problems.
Old May 12, 2014, 11:49 AM
Tucumán,Argentina
Joined Jul 2008
119 Posts
Russian Afterburner Featured at JWM 2011 (1 min 39 sec)

Great job this variable area nozzle, I am considering whether I can make a ....
Old May 12, 2014, 12:25 PM
Find More Posts by Christian Lucas
Germany, BY, Gräfelfing
Joined Jan 2003
499 Posts
Hi,
i love your hot flame. Do you know how much does the afterburner rise trust ?
Christian Lucas is offline Find More Posts by Christian Lucas
Old May 12, 2014, 12:46 PM
Tucumán,Argentina
Joined Jul 2008
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Lucas View Post
Hi,
i love your hot flame. Do you know how much does the afterburner rise trust ?
Actually do not have that info, as the youtube video does not explain anything.
I'll contact the author and ask. When you have any information I will share here.
Old May 12, 2014, 01:16 PM
Tucumán,Argentina
Joined Jul 2008
119 Posts
Sorry, did not read well the description of the video.
The author declares 60 kg increase thrust!!
I think this is very exaggerated.
This turbine sx P160 has a maximum thrust of 36 lb, not think I can increase to 132 lb with afterburner .. 300% or more?
Last edited by gusmarr; May 12, 2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old May 13, 2014, 12:54 AM
Find More Posts by Steve C
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,260 Posts
Impressive how much fuel is consumed with the afterburner in that last video. Just like a real one!

Is your tubing stainless steel?
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old May 13, 2014, 10:57 AM
Find More Posts by boaterguy
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,532 Posts
Have you considered running the fuel through the edf blades to better atomize it? It would likely require less fuel to get the same ratio/ reaction rate.
boaterguy is online now Find More Posts by boaterguy
Old May 13, 2014, 12:35 PM
Tucumán,Argentina
Joined Jul 2008
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Impressive how much fuel is consumed with the afterburner in that last video. Just like a real one!

Is your tubing stainless steel?
You are absolutely right.
Basically this is because this type of device works with low compression.

Yes, my afterburner, combustion chamber and nozzle are made ​​of stainless steel of 0.5mm.
The diffuser is made of aluminum, and in some prototypes fiberglass.
The gasifier fuel is also stainless steel.
Old May 13, 2014, 12:45 PM
Tucumán,Argentina
Joined Jul 2008
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterguy View Post
Have you considered running the fuel through the edf blades to better atomize it? It would likely require less fuel to get the same ratio/ reaction rate.
It would be very complex to make, I tabajado with common EDF. Besides I do not know if it would be practical in relidad.
The project idea is to add the device EDF afterburner these, which are sold in any store model airplane.
The fuel must enter the gas phase combustion chamber, the atomized spray, does not work well.
The only way to lower fuel consumption, is to get more pressure in the combustion chamber.
Old May 13, 2014, 01:01 PM
Tucumán,Argentina
Joined Jul 2008
119 Posts
Another video I found on Youtube where you see the large amount of fuel they consume these devices.

Jet Joe 1800 with Afterburner!! (3 min 20 sec)