New Products Flash Sale
Old Today, 07:55 AM
Find More Posts by redjet
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2014
144 Posts
Hi. Just had a heavy impact right at the wing root. I noticed one of the wings was moving about fore and aft. Taped it up to the fuselage and it flew fine.

When I got it home I took the wings off - it seemed the centre piece between the wings was loose but when I took it apart it all seemed pretty rigid.

Any ideas what's gone loose with the wingbox?

I also decided to multiplex the wings with an extension to the rx. I've done this but did wonder if anyone has fitted multiplex's for the wings into the plastic bit in the middle - pic

redjet
redjet is offline Find More Posts by redjet
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 08:39 AM
Find More Posts by SportPlane
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jan 2015
387 Posts
The impact may have compressed and or stretched the foam some?
SportPlane is online now Find More Posts by SportPlane
Last edited by SportPlane; Today at 09:40 AM.
Old Today, 09:55 AM
Find More Posts by Rickn816
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
6,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroHeadTW View Post
Sports,

I have just one flight with my old Radian pro with a newly installed x8r with pcb ants and the RSSI seemed fine so far at normal range (but I haven't gotten even close to specing out). I'm new to Taranis but had dozens of flights on the RP with various Spektrum radios.

I have both the x8r and the precision vario installed in my RP.

I had to remove just the little rectanglar wall of foam between the battery compartment and the belly bay so the rx would fit.

One ant is fed thru to the nose and taped along the "armrest" of the cockpit.
The other ant is positioned vertically (so the ants are 90 degrees to each other) and tucked and taped--just clear of the servo arm-- into the well.

With some wire management there is JUST enough room to tuck the vario on top of the rx and close the belly hatch safely.

My rp has always been a bit nose heavy; to get my balance right I did remove the little plastic and Velcro esc strap (now held in place with a bit of tape).

So far so good tho I was worried about one ant being sort of near the batt and the other's tip sort of close to the main spar (although I think it's fiberglass --which is more radio clear than carbon fiber). On range check I got almost 40 paces before getting the default RSSI warning.
Similar setup. Use a small (1300) lipo pushed as far back as it will go - after removing the velcro straps back there. Added Vario and voltage telemetry.

Swapped out the spinner/prop for a set from Espirt RC. Gorgeous.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Today, 03:38 PM
Find More Posts by i_am_mark_evans
United Kingdom, England, Redditch
Joined Jun 2013
263 Posts
Hmm maybe that's my problem, maybe i'm starting my turns too slow which is causing the nose up, tail down attitude during some turns?

Just seems my RP is flying around the sky pretty fast or just falling out of it if i try to slow it down. I need to try and get some video of it for you.

Today i tried it at the factory cg, and then back, maybe around 77mm. Even in the stiff breeze we had today, i liked it at the rear cg setting (well liked it as much as i can like this model). Also when fully testing my cg indoors i'm not quite at the 80-84mm mark i thought i was so i'm gonna tape a little more weight on the tail and test it some more. Maybe it will continue to improve.

I found i can use a lot more up elevator in a turn than i first thought, i can and need to really pull the stick back when banked and i then get a nice tight turn, 2 or 3 on the spot.

You may have seen it, and yeah top class pilots, but the Radian pro flown in this video looks a lot slower, more docile in the air than mine does

Parkzone Radian Pro Demo Day (5 min 16 sec)

Mark
i_am_mark_evans is online now Find More Posts by i_am_mark_evans
Old Today, 04:25 PM
Find More Posts by aeajr
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
25,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans View Post
Hmm maybe that's my problem, maybe i'm starting my turns too slow which is causing the nose up, tail down attitude during some turns?

Just seems my RP is flying around the sky pretty fast or just falling out of it if i try to slow it down. I need to try and get some video of it for you.

Today i tried it at the factory cg, and then back, maybe around 77mm. Even in the stiff breeze we had today, i liked it at the rear cg setting (well liked it as much as i can like this model). Also when fully testing my cg indoors i'm not quite at the 80-84mm mark i thought i was so i'm gonna tape a little more weight on the tail and test it some more. Maybe it will continue to improve.

I found i can use a lot more up elevator in a turn than i first thought, i can and need to really pull the stick back when banked and i then get a nice tight turn, 2 or 3 on the spot.

You may have seen it, and yeah top class pilots, but the Radian pro flown in this video looks a lot slower, more docile in the air than mine does

Mark
The RP in the video looks well balance and well trimmed. If yours does not fly like this one then you may be out of balance which is causing you to be out of trim.

I suspect you are nose heavy if the glider needs to fly faster than this one. Do you know where you are balanced compared to the recommended point in the manual? Most of us move the CG further back than the manual recommends.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Today, 04:36 PM
Joined Jun 2013
263 Posts
Well i now have 10 grams stuck to the tail and with my 1300 pack pushed right into the battery slot my model balances dead on the wing servo wires as it's easy to feel the cut out for them with your fingers and my model is bang on there now, 77-80mm

Tomorrow if not too windy im gonna try 5g more on the tail, that takes it back to around the 85mm ish point. See what happens.
Last edited by i_am_mark_evans; Today at 04:59 PM.
Old Today, 05:42 PM
Find More Posts by got-one
Gear Down - Check
USA, MI, Rochester
Joined Nov 2008
927 Posts
Are you measuring CG with your finger tips?

It looks to me that you are saying you measure your CG with your finger tips.
Here is what I am using:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXK259&P=0

I can preset it to a number (like 80mm) and then add or subtract weight to get the plane to balance at that number.

I can also use it to find the CG on a plane by adjusting the measurement arms until the plane
the balances and then read the number.

The only way that I have seen the finger tip method work accurately is when a round ball pin head is imbedded into the bottom of the wing so your finger tips find the same place repeatedly.

Oh by the way, are you adding nose down trim when you add weight to the tail?

Dave F
>< *>
got-one is online now Find More Posts by got-one
Old Today, 05:58 PM
Joined Jun 2013
263 Posts
Yeah mate, i'm afraid i'm using finger tips (hides head in shame)

At the stage i'm at now with the model i find i still need a couple of click of up to maintain a level glide, lots of hand throws and test the level glide at height too, so maybe i just need a touch more tail weight?

I was waiting for the HK cg checker to come back into stock in our uk warehouse but no sign of it as yet.
Old Today, 08:10 PM
Find More Posts by got-one
Gear Down - Check
USA, MI, Rochester
Joined Nov 2008
927 Posts
No shame. You gotta use what you got. Have you tried two holes drilled in a two by four with two pencils in the holes with the erasers up? The more precise you can get, the more you can compare your settings to those that measure precisely.

Another thought would be find another RP owner and swap planes for a flight. Brings out weird comments like "How can you fly that?" I think if you get your CG figured out it'll be worth it. Then practice, practice, practice...

Dave F
>< *>
got-one is online now Find More Posts by got-one