New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2016, 01:38 PM
Find More Posts by Angelo
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,238 Posts
Discussion
Why no Gloster Meteor ARFs?

It seems everyone has an ME-262 ARF, yet I've only been able to find one Gloster Meteor kit, and that was a long way from a bind & fly or true ARF. I don't get it, the lines, especially on the early ones with the rounded tails, are really beautiful. If Parkzone or Freewing came out with one, I'd buy it tomorrow.
Angelo is online now Find More Posts by Angelo
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2016, 07:34 AM
Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,572 Posts
Today's ARF was yesterday's scratch build. Get buildin...��
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old May 25, 2016, 11:54 AM
Find More Posts by Mark Powell
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Oct 2013
2,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
It seems everyone has an ME-262 ARF, yet I've only been able to find one Gloster Meteor kit, and that was a long way from a bind & fly or true ARF. I don't get it, the lines, especially on the early ones with the rounded tails, are really beautiful. If Parkzone or Freewing came out with one, I'd buy it tomorrow.
As Larry said, build it yourself.

I started to do that in the 1950s, when I was about ten years old. So it's not hard. And I still do it

Google "Outerzone". They've got a nice plan for a 56 inch one. It's a Mark 8 but you can easily alter the fin to the early version. The original was control line for two glow ducted fans. Download the plan, print it off at the 'default' size if you haven't got a big printer, then scale it up to the size you want with a pencil, ruler, dividers, and a compass. Shouldn't take more than a day and it's part of the enjoyment.
Mark Powell is offline Find More Posts by Mark Powell
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 25, 2016, 01:09 PM
Find More Posts by Angelo
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,238 Posts
You miss my point completely, which is that there are many bind & fly ME 262s, but no Meteors. Considering how many planes I already have in various stages of build, I don't have the time or interest in a scratch build.
Angelo is online now Find More Posts by Angelo
Old May 25, 2016, 10:56 PM
Joined Oct 2013
2,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
You miss my point completely, which is that there are many bind & fly ME 262s, but no Meteors. Considering how many planes I already have in various stages of build, I don't have the time or interest in a scratch build.
I don't "miss your point" at all. It's not really a 'point', it's just the truth, in the same way as me saying that there are three trees in my garden.

Now why? I suggest that unlike the ME262, which most people appear to think a very 'elegant' design, most people don't think that about the Meteor, in the unlikely event they ever think about the Meteor at all..

Ergo, the Chinese, who make all these ARTFs, and who are not actually interested in model airplanes in any way whatsoever, just in making money, do NOT "Lead" tastes, they just stick to 'safe' stuff. Unlike, say, US and European car manufacturers, who do lead tastes, and are willing to take chances, losing some and winning some.

ARTFs in general? I suspect you may be the same as me. I build about 80% of the planes I fly. The other 20% are ARTFs, and are all planes I quite like but don't like enough to bother to design from scratch, build from a plan, or build from a kit. Classic examples are the Spitfire and P-51. You see them on every model field and I'm not going to spend time and effort building a "yet another flying Volkswagen Golf equivalent" which as models is basically what they both are
Last edited by Mark Powell; May 25, 2016 at 11:06 PM.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:02 PM
Find More Posts by Air-Jon
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
2,265 Posts
It would be a great model...its on my bucket list for a scratch build, F8 version. I got as far a importing 3 views into SolidWorks to start the sizing.

It would make a really nice big twin 70mm arf. I hope someone makes one. Nothing tricky about the air-frame so it should certainly be possible.
Air-Jon is offline Find More Posts by Air-Jon
Old May 25, 2016, 11:23 PM
Joined Oct 2013
2,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-Jon View Post
It would be a great model...its on my bucket list for a scratch build, F8 version. I got as far a importing 3 views into SolidWorks to start the sizing.

It would make a really nice big twin 70mm arf. I hope someone makes one. Nothing tricky about the air-frame so it should certainly be possible.
The Outerzone Meteor F-8 I mentioned is an excellent start and would save you all the SolidWorks stuff. It's free, as are all Outerzone plans and needs no significant changes to alter it from control line to rc.

And as the download is a pdf you can scale it to any size you want. And the structure, cross sections, wing sections, etc. are all there.

The only 'difficult' part is today we would likely use frames cut from carbon sheet to carry the wing spars through the nacelles. But even there we can use the original shapes.
Old May 26, 2016, 12:24 AM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
2,265 Posts
Thanks mark
Old May 26, 2016, 12:49 AM
Joined Oct 2013
2,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-Jon View Post
Thanks mark
For what it's worth

I worked on the world's first CAD development - a joint effort between IBM (I worked in their UK development lab) and Dassault Aviation of France. It was of course later sold commercially and most modern ones are based on its concepts. Though most 'full-size' aviation companies use the now much further developed IBM/Dassault one.

A purely personal view but both from my own experience and several threads on here many seem to get so absorbed in CAD that they lose sight of the 'mission' which is to build a model plane. Which, following such threads, rarely seems to happen.

He's started something here, I have already downloaded the Outerzone plan and 'test enlarged' it. I suspect we will soon see as many Meteors at the model field as P-51s

Here's the Outerzone one - 1974:

PS: Some years ago I read the biography of the Gloster chief test pilot (who's name I can't remember). The Meteor was pretty lethal. The death rate on RAF pilots 'familiarising' with it was about 20%
Last edited by Mark Powell; May 26, 2016 at 01:07 AM.
Old May 26, 2016, 08:54 AM
Find More Posts by union1
United Kingdom, England, Sudbury
Joined Oct 2004
449 Posts
There's a kit available for 2 x 64/70mm fans here - http://www.jimsjets.com/
It's not arf, but it is a fairly quick to build one.
union1 is offline Find More Posts by union1
Old May 26, 2016, 02:17 PM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
2,265 Posts
I dont mind a kit, but if i. Going to build one, it will be twin 90mm at least.
Old May 27, 2016, 04:46 AM
Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
EDF Jet Jam 2016, June 16 -19
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
8,298 Posts
I could not get the outerzone planes to download. Clicked the download button, a pdf type page opened but the page would not load. Tried both platforms too.
Robert Belluomini is online now Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old May 27, 2016, 06:53 PM
Find More Posts by AirX
EDF rules... :)
United States, TX, Katy
Joined Nov 1999
14,015 Posts
Bob, if you mouse over the bottom quarter of the plan while viewing it on your computer you will bring up a gui that will have a save option on it. You can then save it to your computer.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX