HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2008, 11:08 AM
Manchester
Joined Jul 2008
464 Posts
Question
GPS Barometric Sensor

Bill, All,

I read in one of the EagleTree docs that the 5Hz GPS unit also includes a Barometric sensor. The wording i think was such that you can use this instead of the GPS altitude to get a from 0 start instead of a huge + above sea level.

I have tried various configurations of my software and logger, but cannot get the Barometric altitude to function.

I have an eLogger V3 with the latest GPS 5Hz, running the latest 6.77 desktop software and logger firmware.

Any pointers or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
cvandenb is offline Find More Posts by cvandenb
Last edited by cvandenb; Oct 03, 2008 at 02:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2008, 11:45 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hi,

The GPS does not include a barometric sensor, but we have a separate barometric sensor, linked to here:

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Stan...standalone.htm

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 15, 2008, 05:02 PM
Manchester
Joined Jul 2008
464 Posts
Hi Bill,

Thank you for the reply. I have re-read the documentation and I now understand how this works. You can choose to either log the barometric altitude reading from the standalone unit, or the GPS altitude reading for use in GoogleEarth.

Makes perfect sense now

Many Thanks
Charl
cvandenb is offline Find More Posts by cvandenb
Last edited by cvandenb; Oct 16, 2008 at 04:37 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 02:33 AM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
Based on the previous post, I gather the reason I didn't log GPS altitude on yesterday's GPS maiden is because I was logging barometric altitude (with the separate sensor). Somehow I missed in the documentation that you can only log one or the other. I thought I was logging both because both parameters were showing up on the OSD. Could I have imagined that the GPS altitude numbers were moving or will they still show up on the OSD even though they aren't being logged? In any event, on my next flight, I will disable barometric altitude logging to confirm that GPS altitude logging is enabled.
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Old Dec 29, 2008, 05:08 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hi Darth,

Sorry for the confusion. GPS Altitude is logged when "All GPS Parameters" is selected for logging. So, you can log both baro and GPS altitude. Note that all parameters are available for display on the OSD, even if they are not logged.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor