HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2014, 05:12 PM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,096 Posts
Build Log
Keith Laumer's Push-Up for AMPLAN Build Off

With the Classy Gassy done, I'd been considering a second entry for the AMPLAN build off, and remembered Keith Laumer's attractive sport free flight designs from the early 1960s. My brother built and flew the 30 inch Push-Up (Pee Wee 020) free flighter in 1968 and I've been wanting to replicate it ever since. My version will be enlarged 133% to 40 inches and of course RET electric.

Keith Laumer was a really interesting guy who did a stint in the US Air Force as an officer, followed by a career in the Foreign Service and finally as a sci-fi author. He also published a classic book on free flight models (cover shown below) and was known for his distinctive designs. A little more information on him here:

http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/Laumer/Laumer-Page.html

Got some parts cut out today and started on a wing panel. We just got hit with an Arctic air blast here in Colorado, so it looks like the building season is in full swing!
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Last edited by brokenspar; Nov 10, 2014 at 05:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:15 PM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,096 Posts
Here's the tiled plan.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:11 AM
France, IdF, Lagny-sur-Marne
Joined Feb 2007
512 Posts
Good luck with the build! May I order three tasty ribs and one wing panel with epoxy sauce?

Paul
Paul_BB is online now Find More Posts by Paul_BB
Old Nov 11, 2014, 01:04 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,006 Posts
Another "cute" design bs, looking forward to watching this one take shape.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:06 PM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,096 Posts
Thanks, gentlemen!

Both wing panels are framed, with leading edge sheeting, center section sheeting and cap strips installed. Started a fuselage side this morning. Will likely strengthen the cabin area and wing mount.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:11 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,913 Posts
What a beautiful wing!

Al
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Nov 13, 2014, 08:24 AM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,096 Posts
Thanks, Owl.

Early start this morning in the man-cave!

Completed the wing panels, joined them with ply dihedral braces, added soft balsa wing tips and gave the wing some sanding. Both fuselage sides are complete, hoping to join them today.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 08:51 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,006 Posts
You are really putting the hours in on this one bs - good progress!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Nov 13, 2014, 09:50 AM
Joined Feb 2007
512 Posts
Beautiful job ! Perfect.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:24 AM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,096 Posts
Thanks, SD and Paul.

Fuse sides are completed and joined. I'm using plywood for the firewall and the former holding the landing gear. All other formers and crosspieces will be balsa. I strengthened the fuselage in the nose and cabin area, increased the wood sizes, used fairly hard balsa, and added some corner gussets for good measure.

While this was drying, I did some more sanding on the wing. I'm impressed with the torsional rigidity of this structure. I didn't use my usual top and bottom spar with shear webs, following the plan instead: top spar with leading edge sheeting and cap strips on the rib tops only. This structure is essentially a "half" C-tube wing and is surprisingly rigid.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 01:08 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,729 Posts
Well, you have picked two of my favorite designers -- Walt Musciano, as you know, and now Keith Laumer. Looks great so far, and I expect it will continue to be a standard for us to shoot for in terms of craftsmanship!

Pete G
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:21 PM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,096 Posts
Thanks, PJ. Nice to have another Laumer fan around.

Built and installed the fuselage rear formers, formed the landing gear, and made the tail block from soft balsa, then gave the fuse a good sanding. I still need to fillet all those gussets and figure out a wing mount.

And of course I couldn't resist putting her up on the gear for a photo shoot.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 01:32 AM
Joined Feb 2007
512 Posts
I am flabbergasted by the speed with which you build.
Amazing (for me at least).
Old Nov 15, 2014, 01:50 AM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,096 Posts
Thanks, Paul. I put in about 9 hours in the workshop on Thursday and a few more today.

Things have slowed a bit, as I worked on the wing mounting platform and nose area. As shown in the pics, the front of the wing mount determines the shape of the windshield. I also installed the "instrument panel," which together with the firewall will dictate the nose curves. This area will be sheeted after I get the motor, ESC and radio installed.

I trial fitted a small brushless motor just to see how things looked. This is one of those generic Hong Kong motors we've come to know and love. Final installation will include a one inch spacer box to extend the prop enough to clear the cowl.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 10:14 PM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,096 Posts
Built and installed the motor extension box today. I had considered mounting the motor directly to the firewall and leaving off the cheek cowls, but decided to stick to the plan.

I'm often working on two or three projects at once; some of today was spent on a 30 inch park flyer for the Vapor brick receiver and motor. Covered with Doculam, of course. Hoping to finish her up this winter.

Work schedule will have me out of action until next month. I'll be watching all your great builds from afar.

Till December,
Ciao!