Old Oct 29, 2014, 06:08 AM
Oh, Ho, Ho, It's Magic!
Australia
Joined Apr 2004
1,129 Posts
Question
Saito FG-21 Q's

Hey guys

I just picked up a second hand saito fg21 (but still in the box, un-used).

I am a total newcomer to petrol engines.

My first issue is, the carb doesn't fully close when the lever is in the low position.

There is a gap (albeit a tiny one). Shouldn't that be fully closed ?

Secondly, when I turn the prop shaft, it sounds a bit 'ratchety' is that normal?

Lastly, I often store my electrics standing on their nose with the tail against the wall.

This is going in a heavy plane and wondering if that has the potential to damage the engine over time ?

Cheers
mrfirkin is online now Find More Posts by mrfirkin
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:47 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,589 Posts
It is normal for the carb to not close all the way. On all engines they adjust that small gap to control the idle speed. With RC engines you normally use the servo and a trim adjustment. But there is usually a idle speed screw that you can use to adjust idle speed.

New engines can be "ratchety" like at first. The valve train and cams with their parts tend to help aggravate it. But the way the crankshaft, connecting rod and piston move inside the engine do it too.

Storing the plane nose down is not a problem. The residual oil will migrate towards the bearings and camshaft area helping to keep them well lubricated. Storing the plane so that the head of the engine and the spark plug being at the lowest position isn't good. What happens is that the residual oil inside the engine will slowly migrate to the lowest point inside, if that is the spark plug, then it becomes fouled with oil and doesn't spark well.

Since the engines are for model airplanes, they are not damaged by running them at full throttle, etc. So that isn't the problem. The problem usually is not using a good quality oil, not using enough oil, and running the engine too lean. I don't know what synthetic oils you have there in Australia, but here I like to use Stihl HP Ultra oil.

I suggest oiling the engine some before you run it. Get some oil inside it. The factory tends to go easy on the oil and use very little. Then run the engine super rich and keep the RPMS down as well at first. That is to get the engine well lubricated. Unless they changed it the instructions mention running the engine rich and keeping the RPMs low.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Oct 29, 2014 at 11:50 AM. Reason: add more info
Old Oct 29, 2014, 07:13 PM
Oh, Ho, Ho, It's Magic!
Australia
Joined Apr 2004
1,129 Posts
Thanks Earl,

What is the best way to get some oil in? Would ordinary singer machine oil be ok ?

Regards the carb, it opens fully ok, but in the fully closed position there is a tiny gap.

How do I shut the engine off ? The arm won't go any further to fully close it.

Is that why you need an optical kill switch with these gas engines ?

And just back on storing my plane on it's spinner/nose, I was concerned the combined weight of the plane & engine might bend or put the the prop shaft out over time ?

Thanks for the info.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 07:25 PM
United States, VA, Fredericksburg
Joined Jan 2014
41 Posts
New in box.... We're there not any instructions with the engine? They can be very helpful if read.
Stu48 is offline Find More Posts by Stu48
Old Oct 29, 2014, 07:41 PM
Oh, Ho, Ho, It's Magic!
Australia
Joined Apr 2004
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu48 View Post
New in box.... We're there not any instructions with the engine? They can be very helpful if read.
Yes, I did read the manual but it didn't address my q's.

That's why I asked here.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 07:22 AM
Australia, NSW, Attunga
Joined Dec 2006
168 Posts
G'day Mate,
I have a FG21, on a Spacewalker, great engine, don't worry about the carby, there is no idle stop screw, use a good throttle servo, NOT a cheap one from hobbyking, you need one with good resolution. Use Coolpower Blue oil, don't use chainsaw or motorcycle 2 stroke oil, mix at 20:1, buy yourself a good ignition switch, see here, http://www.boomarc.com/en/booma-rc-opto-ignition-switch , made in Australia, & worth the money, use a Saito fuel filter, worth the money, & genuine Tygon fuel tube. These engines don't care if they are upright sideways or inverted, they run sweetly. Check out DA Australia website, for fuel tank setup tips on video.
My FG21 sips fuel, I only use a 10oz Dubro fuel tank, with a Dubro petrol bung, the brown one. I ran mine in on a APC16x6, now I run a 17x6 on my Spacewalker.
Use whatever prop suits your plane. I store mine flat, up in the roof of my shed, but it should be alright on its nose.
You will love it.
PM me if you need further info.

Cheers Al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfirkin View Post
Hey guys

I just picked up a second hand saito fg21 (but still in the box, un-used).

I am a total newcomer to petrol engines.

My first issue is, the carb doesn't fully close when the lever is in the low position.

There is a gap (albeit a tiny one). Shouldn't that be fully closed ?

Secondly, when I turn the prop shaft, it sounds a bit 'ratchety' is that normal?

Lastly, I often store my electrics standing on their nose with the tail against the wall.

This is going in a heavy plane and wondering if that has the potential to damage the engine over time ?

Cheers
alan0899 is offline Find More Posts by alan0899
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:32 AM
Oh, Ho, Ho, It's Magic!
Australia
Joined Apr 2004
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0899 View Post
G'day Mate,
I have a FG21, on a Spacewalker, great engine, don't worry about the carby, there is no idle stop screw, use a good throttle servo, NOT a cheap one from hobbyking, you need one with good resolution. Use Coolpower Blue oil, don't use chainsaw or motorcycle 2 stroke oil, mix at 20:1, buy yourself a good ignition switch, see here, http://www.boomarc.com/en/booma-rc-opto-ignition-switch , made in Australia, & worth the money, use a Saito fuel filter, worth the money, & genuine Tygon fuel tube. These engines don't care if they are upright sideways or inverted, they run sweetly. Check out DA Australia website, for fuel tank setup tips on video.
My FG21 sips fuel, I only use a 10oz Dubro fuel tank, with a Dubro petrol bung, the brown one. I ran mine in on a APC16x6, now I run a 17x6 on my Spacewalker.
Use whatever prop suits your plane. I store mine flat, up in the roof of my shed, but it should be alright on its nose.
You will love it.
PM me if you need further info.

Cheers Al.
G'day Al,

Thanks for that info.

I have some tygon fuel line and the fuel bung. I also ordered a optic kill switch.

The rcexcl one ? It's the same brand as the EI so I figure it will be easy to hook up

Round here I am limited to space and store all my planes resting on their spinner against a wall. But they are all light foamies.

Cool Power Blue is the go eh? I think my LHS sells that stuff. Thanks for the tip.

It's going to be a bit hairy firing this up for the first time !

Have a good one.