Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:01 AM
Isaiah 40:31
United Kingdom, England, Hamble-le-Rice
Joined Sep 2012
836 Posts
Discussion
YF-23 Black Widow, Grey Ghost

Hello,

Welcome to my YF-23 discussion / build blog.

Here you will find over a year of development, from my very first flights, experiments with prop-shafts, stabilizers, EDF and Pusher powered versions.

Here are a few 'staged' photo's of the design.

I've posted a complete set of plans on my blog too (you have to click 'continue reading' to reveal the plans at the bottom of the page) :-
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=435614

PLEASE NOTE : I'VE REMOVED SUPERSEDED DRAWINGS FROM THIS DEVELOPMENT THREAD. The final plans are on my blog.

If you build one please post pics!

PUSHER PROP in Grey Ghost scheme :-
YF-23 Grey Ghost Parkjet (4 min 15 sec)

EDF version in Black widow II scheme :-
Black widow II Twin 50mm EDF Parkjet (5 min 10 sec)

Cheers

Clickety
Clickety is offline Find More Posts by Clickety
Last edited by Clickety; Sep 27, 2014 at 05:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:37 PM
United States, PA, Easton
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
Hello Clickety, looks very nice! In fact, it is the most scale looking model I've seen to date. Excellent work! We have a score and fold model on our site www.frcfoamies.com for download. Jay has a knack for getting score and fold to look scale. The nacelles are not scale since we need to leave a clean path for the prop wash on the midmount motor. But with a rear mount it would be possible to add do scale nacelles. 2 night build time!
Here's mine with all moving vtails :
Name: uploadfromtaptalk1363624481948.jpg
Views: 484
Size: 76.9 KB
Description:
Name: uploadfromtaptalk1363624511444.jpg
Views: 463
Size: 69.5 KB
Description:

Flight video:
Boxermad84 YF23 With All-Moving Surfaces (5 min 13 sec)

and all moving surfaces:

YF23 All Moving Surface Set Up (4 min 24 sec)
f1wanabe is offline Find More Posts by f1wanabe
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:20 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,838 Posts
looks awesome! i did a scale profile edf version to verify cg and throws, flew good once i got the cg right, which is around the half way mark on the le, between the fuse and wing tip! crazy far forward to get stable flight. i also had full flying stabs, took alot of throw to get the desired flying qualities, once i was at that point, it was a blast to fly, and it looked awesome in the air! i might have to use your plans to build a twin 90mm version!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:54 PM
Joined Sep 2012
836 Posts
Yf-23

Thanks Guys, That,s really helpful. On my plans, I've got the C.O.G a long way forward to match Vicentel's design. I'm looking at trying it again off the dolly this coming Saturday.

The 90mm fan version would be awesome - and give some room for retracts.

In fact I had been toying with the same idea of using some 9mm Depron and 9mm Carbon Rods - a simple scale-up! Then I could fit some decent retracts and that really would be an impressive airplane!!

I wanted to get this design bullet-proof first before I took it further though. Please let me know how you get on with that.

Cheers

Clickety
Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:40 AM
Crash-safe
Baar, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2006
303 Posts
Congrats ! Looks great.

I tried for about half a year to get a decent construction for a yf-23. Then I gave up
I will definitely add this to my build list.

Over lunch, I browsed through your plans/guide (and already finished the widow in my head )

I have a few questions regarding the construction guide:
Step 4: Where exactly to glue the turtledeck bulkhead
Step 12,14,15: I couldn't find any of the 3mm depron parts, did I miss something ?

Thanx a lot for the plans
lessram is offline Find More Posts by lessram
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: F/A-18 Mk II
Old Mar 19, 2013, 01:01 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
Here is a link to my blog. I am building a twin 90mm yf23 it is on hold for a while. Scoll down the page to see it. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=44257
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
Old Mar 19, 2013, 07:00 PM
Joined Sep 2012
836 Posts
Yf-23

Great Stuff Unclecrash! I've been having a good look at your posts and am really Impressed! That is a PROPER model YF-23 - Much respect!!. When will it fly? Please take videos etc.

My approach was to try and keep it cheap and fun, and able to be built pretty quickly. It would be just too painful for me seeing something so lovely as your bird crash. Although I think it's fabulous. I wish I understood more about the airfoils and how to calculate Aerodynamic CofG etc. I think the laymans approach is to make one and throw it until it works!!

Lessram, Well spotted! I've now uploaded a partsheet for printing out at A3 size - I had forgotten this!

Also the Turtledeck bulkhead locates at the intersection of the two Turtledeck top pieces. The forward face is 108mm back from the intersection of the Leading edge of the wing/fuselage. I've made a mental note to update the drawings!
Last edited by Clickety; Jan 26, 2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 07:13 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,271 Posts
click is yours a pusher prop or do you have edf's in it ?
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:12 PM
Joined Sep 2012
836 Posts
Pusher or edf ?

Hi Air Sally,

My plans allow for both!

Cheers

Clickety
Old Mar 20, 2013, 07:18 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,271 Posts
shes a looker
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Mar 21, 2013, 01:08 AM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
I hope to start back on mine soon. It would be nice to get it in the air sometime later in this year. I might have to build a smaller one to play around with at the local college. It would be cool to put a small set of retracts in one as there is a short tar parking lot we fly park flyers from. good luck with your Maiden. Are you planning on flying the one in the pic's on edf if so what size 50mm twin
Old Mar 21, 2013, 03:49 AM
Joined Sep 2012
836 Posts
Yf23

Thanks Air Sally.

Yes Unclecrash,I am looking to fly the EDF one this weekend off the dolly. It's got twin 4S 55 mm PDF units in it. I found them on hobby king they're pretty powerful little units. In hindsight I wish I'd built the pusher first as I think it would have been a lower risk exercise, I think the trick with EDF is making sure it has enough take-off speed because as they don't tend to have much torque. I liken it to riding a bicycle and setting off in third gear!

I've printed out a set of plans to build the pusher soon.

I'm test launching using a 1.4mh battery and then try the 1.8mh battery. Of course it's a trade off I don't expect much flight time.

I'll keep you posted!!!
Old Mar 22, 2013, 06:20 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
Sound's good, how does your dolly work is it pulled by bungee or under the power of the plane.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 01:04 AM
United States, CA, Upper Lake
Joined Dec 2012
27 Posts
Awesome work! Thanks for sharing & the many hours it must have taken to complete this project-
Fred P is offline Find More Posts by Fred P
Old Mar 23, 2013, 08:21 AM
Joined Sep 2012
836 Posts
Yf23

Thanks Fred!

Unclecrash - the Dolly is a lightweight depron one (untested) which I want the plane to push under its own weight. I've not had a lot of success with bungees. I thought it might be a gentler approach. (My second launch was with a bungee - but my COG was too far back and it pulled the underbelly off!)

I've got large wheels on it, so that it may work off grass.