SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:48 PM
FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcooksey View Post
What is the best prop to use with the stock setup ? I'll be pushing a gopro and I guess all the eagletree setup you can get;-)
6x4E works the best for stock motor
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:24 AM
jcooksey
west tn
Joined Feb 2010
197 Posts
Is this an Apc prop? Where can I order? The factory seems flimsy
jcooksey is offline Find More Posts by jcooksey
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:26 AM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Most folks upgrade from the stock prop to the 6x4
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:28 AM
jcooksey
west tn
Joined Feb 2010
197 Posts
6x4 . Great but where from? Does it clear the tail?
jcooksey is offline Find More Posts by jcooksey
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:31 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcooksey View Post
6x4 . Great but where from? Does it clear the tail?
I got mine from my LHS. Yes, it does clear the tail!
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:35 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Apr 2004
464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Yeah I am just using the youtube editor for the stabilization but it has no cropping feature! I am still considering what to use for video editing, at the moment I purely use Windows Movie Maker and Youtube tools.
I use windows moviemaker, then run it thru VReveal3..a brilliant little program that takes the shakes out..as well as other things....
muduck is online now Find More Posts by muduck
Old Feb 18, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
Seems like 30mins would be the bext flight time most are getting when loaded with fpv?
rsands2801 is offline Find More Posts by rsands2801
Old Feb 18, 2012, 06:02 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsands2801 View Post
Seems like 30mins would be the bext flight time most are getting when loaded with fpv?
Maybe if you are using 4000mah +, with a 2200mah using stock motor and 6x4 I can fly for about 15 min (AUW is about 1.2kg or roughly 34oz).

Though I ordered a 2700mah, so I should be able to get 20 on that .
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Feb 18, 2012, 06:48 PM
Lifelongflyer
United States, NM, Silver City
Joined May 2005
60 Posts
From the above posts, I sounds like it is OK to run the Stock Motor with a 6x4 prop and an 1800mAh battery . I have been running with a 1500mAh Battery. Am I ok with the 1800?

I know so little about these lipos!

Second question, I had an unscheduled landing (hear crash) today and my battery came loose and bounced around in the compartment. The shrink wrap was damaged where the wires exit the battery. No wires came undone and there did not appear to be any damage although the battery may be a little puffy, really not much if any. Is this battery still safe to use? The prop was still turning when I recovered the plane (someone neglected to move the throttle to the off position after the "landing" (nose first vertical). The battery was slightly warm when I disconnected it. After It cooled, I recharged it (outdoors) and It seems to have taken a normal charge.
thanks,
Pat
patfly is offline Find More Posts by patfly
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:01 PM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
I want to use it for a bit of FPV but at 15mins it doesnt allow for much in the way of distance. How do those guys get such crazy flight times out of these planes? lol
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:44 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patfly View Post
From the above posts, I sounds like it is OK to run the Stock Motor with a 6x4 prop and an 1800mAh battery . I have been running with a 1500mAh Battery. Am I ok with the 1800?

I know so little about these lipos!

Second question, I had an unscheduled landing (hear crash) today and my battery came loose and bounced around in the compartment. The shrink wrap was damaged where the wires exit the battery. No wires came undone and there did not appear to be any damage although the battery may be a little puffy, really not much if any. Is this battery still safe to use? The prop was still turning when I recovered the plane (someone neglected to move the throttle to the off position after the "landing" (nose first vertical). The battery was slightly warm when I disconnected it. After It cooled, I recharged it (outdoors) and It seems to have taken a normal charge.
thanks,
Pat
mah is just a measurement of capacity, I.E. a 2600mah battery would last twice as long as an identical spec'ed 1300mah battery. You can use any mah battery you want as long as the discharge C rating and cell count is the same.

As far as puffed lipo goes, it probably got pretty under-drained if it was still running when found, I would take it easy with it for a few days and keep a close eye on it, and if it performs OK in a few flights I would expect it to work, but probably have a bit of a shortened life span. Either way I would keep a very tight eye on it especially when charging.

Quote:
I want to use it for a bit of FPV but at 15mins it doesnt allow for much in the way of distance. How do those guys get such crazy flight times out of these planes? lol
If you do some math you will find a Bixler cruising at 30mph is covering 15 miles in 30 minutes (assuming wind isn't a factor), that gives you pretty much 7 miles one way and 7 back with a mile to spare . Realistically wind is a big factor, and I have never seen a flight video of a bixler doing a round trip over 5 or 6 miles out. You could probably get a 5000mah battery in the fuse, with a little bit better of a motor, and easily get 30+ minutes of continuous powered flight, though you would most likely be flying fairly high throttle most of the time (as that battery is HEAVY ), if you are good at gliding and thermalling, and have a fairly light and efficient FPV setup you could easily see 30+ minutes of flight with a lot of non-powered flight time.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:48 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Somoa, CA - RC Field Compilation 2-17-2012 (6 min 0 sec)

Compilation of ground based video, on-board video, and synchronized picture and picture of both , all on-board videos are from my Bixler .
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
What do you think is the better one for FPV? V1 from Hobbyking or the V2 from another retailer? I belive V1 has better space towards FPV gear?
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:35 PM
FPV Noob
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Jun 2011
291 Posts
Quote:
What do you think is the better one for FPV? V1 from Hobbyking or the V2 from another retailer? I belive V1 has better space towards FPV gear?
Definitely the V1 Bixler from HobbyKing IMO, the servos are mounted in the walls of the fuselage- rather than inside the fuselage like the V2, so it gives you more space for FPV gear and the servos can't get tangled in the wires- I've done that before with my Sky Surfer, so I use the Bixler for FPV now and the SS for buzzing around flying LOS...

-Al
fpsazerbaijan is offline Find More Posts by fpsazerbaijan
Old Feb 19, 2012, 01:18 PM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
Good plane for FPV then? V1 it is. Maybe this motor?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7993

with a 2200mah 3s lipo?
Last edited by rsands2801; Feb 19, 2012 at 01:30 PM.