SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 10, 2011, 04:38 PM
stick builder
Virginia
Joined Sep 2008
3 Posts
Banjo Tx
Dave and I grew up together, flying at Curles Neck Farm east of Richmond,
his dad and I flew for many years after Dave went to NASA.
The last time I saw Dave was in the post office in Farmville, he was mailing
an artical to one of the pub.
I realy miss Dave and the many designs and writeups he did.
I just scaled the Pipsqueak down to 16" and by the way I sill have A Pronto.
Happy Modeling
Jack
junejack is offline Find More Posts by junejack
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:11 PM
Argentina, Buenos Aires, Ricardo Rojas
Joined Aug 2011
16 Posts
What a thrill

Banjo TX I am full of excitement to see their gift drawings of the famous SOON reminds me of the 1970's when he saw it fly and I could not buy. Thank you for your gift forever.
piloto127 is offline Find More Posts by piloto127
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:01 AM
Joined Aug 2002
42 Posts
Earlier in this thread I posted pictures of my current Pronto and previous Pronto. Yesterday at the flying field I was involved in a mid-air and Pronto #2 is no more. The pictures show what we are able to find. The good news is that all the radio equipment was found and seems fine and the wing appears to have only minor damage. The bad news is the front of the plane turned into confetti and the engine (Magnum .15), fuel tank and fearless pilot figure were lost in field of acorn squash plants. After a decade and a half of service the plane went down flying as all great planes should, I've got no complaints.

I'll salvage what I can from the wreck and put it aside for Pronto #3. It looks like I'll have an extra building project for the coming winter. I've got a OS 25 FP and a Thunder Tiger .15 GP available but I'm leaning towards the .25 and maybe making a second wing with ailerons .. decisions decisions

Mark
edalpoe is offline Find More Posts by edalpoe
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:16 PM
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO
Joined Sep 2007
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edalpoe View Post
Earlier in this thread I posted pictures of my current Pronto and previous Pronto. Yesterday at the flying field I was involved in a mid-air and Pronto #2 is no more. The pictures show what we are able to find. The good news is that all the radio equipment was found and seems fine and the wing appears to have only minor damage. The bad news is the front of the plane turned into confetti and the engine (Magnum .15), fuel tank and fearless pilot figure were lost in field of acorn squash plants. After a decade and a half of service the plane went down flying as all great planes should, I've got no complaints.

I'll salvage what I can from the wreck and put it aside for Pronto #3. It looks like I'll have an extra building project for the coming winter. I've got a OS 25 FP and a Thunder Tiger .15 GP available but I'm leaning towards the .25 and maybe making a second wing with ailerons .. decisions decisions

Mark
Sorry about the poss of your Pronto, but at least you get to build another! The highlighted would get my vote.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:10 PM
United States, TX, Harker Heights
Joined Jul 2007
197 Posts
Ozmo01.....
Dave was a remarkalbe human being in so many ways... To have known him and have him teach me to fly is a gift that I shall cherish ta I'm fly'n beyond the pearly gates..
I have HIS orginal yellow and green parakeet.. needs a bit of repair work, mainly the fuse. I also have one NIB that I shall be putting together soon... gotta find a engine for it...
Hope ya enjoyed his parakeet as much as I did, flying the prototype he sent to me to review me when he first designed it... awesome little bipe.

Banjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmo01 View Post
That a very nice way to remember Mr Robelen, Thanks
Our club did a group build of his Parakeet.
BanjoTX is offline Find More Posts by BanjoTX
Last edited by BanjoTX; Aug 14, 2011 at 08:27 PM. Reason: brain fingers LOL
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:16 PM
Joined Jul 2007
197 Posts
Edalpope...
Bummers... I know how the loss feels I've owned a pronto every since 1978.. gosh over half a dozen I guess i the 33 yrs... I always gave one away and started another shortly after...
Build both wings.. then ya'll have the best of both worlds

Banjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by edalpoe View Post

Mark
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:26 PM
Joined Jul 2007
197 Posts
Jack,
Dave and I use to fly off the soccer field at Menchville high shcool in Newport News back in mid 1976.... Alot of fond memories indeed... 76-79. We'd fly most of the day and then fly HLGs in the afternoon after the wind would calm down... THAT was just as much fun as fly'n RC even... I still fly HLGs that both dave and I designed... each time I do.. I think of Dave... as each time I fly my pronto.
Its a great feeling to remember something done or said or laffed about... watching both our HLG hit boomers at the same time and GONE.. LOL
I miss him...

Banjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by junejack View Post
Banjo Tx
Dave and I grew up together, flying at Curles Neck Farm east of Richmond,
his dad and I flew for many years after Dave went to NASA.
The last time I saw Dave was in the post office in Farmville, he was mailing
an artical to one of the pub.
I realy miss Dave and the many designs and writeups he did.
I just scaled the Pipsqueak down to 16" and by the way I sill have A Pronto.
Happy Modeling
Jack
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:33 PM
Joined Jul 2007
197 Posts
Piloto,
I hope that ya enjoy flying and building it... Any questions or concerns, PLZ feel free ta ask.. be happy ta help out...

Banjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto127 View Post
Banjo TX I am full of excitement to see their gift drawings of the famous SOON reminds me of the 1970's when he saw it fly and I could not buy. Thank you for your gift forever.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:53 AM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Mar 2010
35 Posts
Hello

I went to your page, but couldn't find the button for PM.
How can I get a set of plans for this fine looking aircraft?
ib42 is offline Find More Posts by ib42
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:20 AM
Joined Jul 2007
197 Posts
Hi IB42,
If you take a look at the drawings, you'll find all of the info you need to scratch build this great little plane.... Any questions or concern you might have I'll be happy to answer them for you brother...
All the materials are standard size whcih can be found at most hobby shops.
3/16(fuse doubler and tail componets), 1/8(fuse sides & ribs), 1/16(top and bottom sheeting). 2 1/4 dowels are the only thing needed for the leading edge (note notch of the wing ribs)... PLZ ask away any questions ya have...

Banjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ib42 View Post
I went to your page, but couldn't find the button for PM.
How can I get a set of plans for this fine looking aircraft?
Old Sep 03, 2011, 11:51 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Nov 2008
196 Posts
what does everyone think of the dowel for a leading edge of the wing on the Pronto? never tried that before.
mikempp is offline Find More Posts by mikempp
Old Sep 04, 2011, 06:31 AM
Joined Jul 2007
197 Posts
HI Mike...
The dowel concept is reaaally a very easy trouble free concept... Plus the advance of strength is a very big plus and not much of a weight disadvantage. Also this type of design allows for quick building and very little work in the shaping of the leading edge. It really does add strength and helps to insure that you wind up with a wing with no wrapage and the best part is that it is easy to get all of the ribs to mate up simply by cutting the ribs all at the same time.. then just take a bit of 400 grit sandpaper wrapped around the dowel couple of wisps back and forth and presto... all of the mating surfaces will match up easy.

The best way to build the wing of course is to cut out all the ribs with leading edge and spar notches done.. trailing edge stock notched to accept the ribs.. Reference the wing Chord... the bottom spar can be hard balsa... BUT the top spar SHOULD be spruce.. the reason is that it will hold up better at the wing saddle.

Pin down the bottom spar, space the ribs, place down the notched trailing edge, pin and brace the dowel leading edge in place... then add the spruce top spar... once all of the piece are in place on the board... use CA to tack glue all of the joints... once done (both wing panels can be done at the same time) add the vertical sheer webbing between the spars as noted... Wing done.. excpect for covering of course.. Note: I do add a triangle gusset at the wing tip rib/trailing edge... Just that strength monster in me.. LOL
Also as a tip for reference.. I like to add a few degrees of washOUT in the trailing edge wing tips... this enables the wing to provide stability and lift at lower airspeeds and for the wing to continue to fly so ta speak...

Yuppers... I got long winded again.. Yell if ya have any questions or concerns.

Banjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikempp View Post
what does everyone think of the dowel for a leading edge of the wing on the Pronto? never tried that before.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 02:41 PM
Joined Feb 2010
52 Posts
Thank you for posting these drawings, I'm really looking forward to doing this model as my first scratch build! I've built several precut kits, but resisted the urge to get into a scrap build until my wife and I bought our first house and I had the proper space for a workshop. Earlier this year, we bought our first house and I'm itching to break in my nice new garage workshop with this build. Hopefully I can build it well enough that it will properly honor your friend and his design. (Hope I said that right)

Time to stock up on some balsa and x-acto blades!
tcabner is offline Find More Posts by tcabner
Old Sep 19, 2011, 04:52 PM
Joined Feb 2010
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoTX View Post

The best way to build the wing of course is to cut out all the ribs with leading edge and spar notches done.. trailing edge stock notched to accept the ribs.. Reference the wing Chord... the bottom spar can be hard balsa... BUT the top spar SHOULD be spruce.. the reason is that it will hold up better at the wing saddle.

Pin down the bottom spar, space the ribs, place down the notched trailing edge, pin and brace the dowel leading edge in place... then add the spruce top spar... once all of the piece are in place on the board... use CA to tack glue all of the joints... once done (both wing panels can be done at the same time) add the vertical sheer webbing between the spars as noted... Wing done.. excpect for covering of course.. Note: I do add a triangle gusset at the wing tip rib/trailing edge... Just that strength monster in me.. LOL
Also as a tip for reference.. I like to add a few degrees of washOUT in the trailing edge wing tips... this enables the wing to provide stability and lift at lower airspeeds and for the wing to continue to fly so ta speak...

Yuppers... I got long winded again.. Yell if ya have any questions or concerns.

Banjo
Can both the top and bottom spars be spruce?
tcabner is offline Find More Posts by tcabner
Old Sep 19, 2011, 05:24 PM
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO
Joined Sep 2007
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcabner View Post
Can both the top and bottom spars be spruce?
Yes.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E