SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 25, 2009, 01:13 PM
Lots of Air Play
United States, CT, Coventry
Joined Dec 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Wright View Post
I usually use 2 pieces of masking tape to remove the backing. One piece on the covering, one on the backing, placed at a corner. Pull apart then remove the tape from the covering. It's easier than fiddling with the corner and a fingernail.

Allan:
That's a great trick, have to keep that in mind!

Dave in CT
thistle2311 is online now Find More Posts by thistle2311
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2009, 01:57 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Dec 2008
280 Posts
Thank you Allan, I was going a little crazy with it. That should make it much easier..Ray
mr ray is offline Find More Posts by mr ray
Old Nov 27, 2009, 09:50 AM
Joined Oct 2007
8 Posts
Updates here http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/f...tml#post949570

Aholein1
aholein1 is offline Find More Posts by aholein1
Old Nov 27, 2009, 06:09 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Dec 2008
280 Posts
Finished the covering

Hi Guys, Finished the covering this morning. Now to glue on the stab and put on the rudder and elevator and put in the electrics. Almost there, hopefully will maiden her next week...Ray
Old Nov 30, 2009, 07:07 AM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,274 Posts
Almost finished the wing, its assembled, just need to add the CF and cover it.

Weight at this stage is 60.86g, and the total of all the balsa parts (weighed before assembly) was 57.36g.

I used around 1g of glue for each of the tips and 2.5g for the centre section.
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet
Old Nov 30, 2009, 07:19 AM
USA, MI, Zeeland
Joined Sep 2006
352 Posts
Nice job Ray. I covered my wing last night. Not happy with ultracote light white. The see through white color does not look good at all. I like the red though. You covered the stab and elevator after it was glued to the carbon right?
Diesel 48 is offline Find More Posts by Diesel 48
Old Nov 30, 2009, 08:18 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,188 Posts
Looking and sounding great guys!
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:35 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Dec 2008
280 Posts
Hi Diesel 48

Thanks about the covering job, just getting used to covering, I enjoy it but if I did it again it would be a better job. As always you learn along the way. No I hadn't glued the elevator and stab to the boom when I covered it, thinking it would be easier to cover when I could lay it flat on the table. Well I was right about that part but wrong when I suddenly realized I had to glue the kevlar to bare wood. So I cut the covering out where the kevlar had to go and Bob's your uncle,no problem. Glued it on yesterday and will do the patchwork today. If I am going to deviate from the plan even a little bit I must think it through better than I did or one day.....Today the electrics go in I hope...Ray
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:40 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Ray,
Sounds like a cover up to me!
John255
John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255
Last edited by John255; Nov 30, 2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:51 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ray View Post
Thanks about the covering job, just getting used to covering, I enjoy it but if I did it again it would be a better job. As always you learn along the way. No I hadn't glued the elevator and stab to the boom when I covered it, thinking it would be easier to cover when I could lay it flat on the table. Well I was right about that part but wrong when I suddenly realized I had to glue the kevlar to bare wood. So I cut the covering out where the kevlar had to go and Bob's your uncle,no problem. Glued it on yesterday and will do the patchwork today. If I am going to deviate from the plan even a little bit I must think it through better than I did or one day.....Today the electrics go in I hope...Ray
I learned that one the hard way too.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:53 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,188 Posts
FYI, I worked on packaging up some more of this batch of Gamblers this past weekend. I've decided to include TWICE as much CF ribbon in each kit until I use up the current material. This should provide plenty of extra in case people have trouble working with it. Plus if you don't have any trouble, you'll have enough extra to scratch build another Gambler or use it to reinforce other planes you build.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:57 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Dec 2008
280 Posts
Allan, Your the Greatest...Ray
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:59 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John255 View Post
Ray,
Sounds like a cover up to me!
John255
That was a joke Ray!!
I thought I'd never recover from my first cover job!
John255
John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255
Old Nov 30, 2009, 01:11 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Dec 2008
280 Posts
Hey John255, I didn't get it. But I should have.The first cover job I tried to do was recovering a wing and it was a disaster. I got very frustrated and screwed up a lot of covering. So I called a friend and he invited me over and showed me how to do it properly. He made it look so easy. I learned a lot from him. Now if I could only have someone show me how to make a wing properly!....Ray
Old Nov 30, 2009, 01:16 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,188 Posts
I still have some covering jobs I'm proud of and some I'm ashamed of. There's as much art in it as science. I'm better at the latter than the former. You'll get a lot better after your first few planes, then your skill will progress more slowly, but at that point you'll be doing covering jobs you'll be proud to show to friends.

Tip: Get a sock for your iron. Not a real sock, an iron sock, sold at your hobby store. They're cheap (about a buck each), so replace them when they get worn or soiled. They even out the heating of the covering and prevent abrasion to the covering. I do a MUCH better job when I use a sock.