HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:28 PM
Joined Sep 2014
1 Posts
Discussion
Streaming live video from a UAV!

Hi guys,

I have been approached with a challenging task and I was wondering if anyone here can help shed some light on it.

A customer of mine has a UAV , it's a pretty expensive $10,000+ military based model. It has a Windows 7 tablet with a piece of software on it. The tablet connects to the base station via WiFi and the UAV communicates to the base station.

He wants to be able to stream the LIVE video from the UAV back to a remote location. The UAV as far as I can tell has a couple video streaming options. The first one is you can connect directly to it with it's local IP address using VLC player and get a feed. The other option is in the software on the tablet there is an option to "Stream to a Media Server".

My initial plan was to get a 3G/4G USB card for the tablet, stream to a server somewhere and then can play back that stream anywhere that has internet.

Problem is, I'm not sure how well this will work (especially over 3G/4G), I also have no idea where to start with a service that will let me stream video to it, from this software. I thought I might be able to use the QNap NAS we have but it looks like they're only for from streaming TO things. If only the UAV maker had a Twitch TV app

Appreciate your help guys!

-Antony
antsmash is offline Find More Posts by antsmash
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:33 AM
CTD / Design Engineering
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined May 2014
391 Posts
This can be done, we have similar applications in service now using our home grown systems. Depending on features and functionality requirements it can be done economically. If you want to discuss the options send the team a email, and I will make sure it gets answered. info@digi-dna.net
tearig is online now Find More Posts by tearig