SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:55 AM
Joined Feb 2013
22 Posts
Discussion
Loudspeaker for copter

Hi everybody,
need your asisstance on how to install a loudspeaker on copter with microphone that I could hear and talk to people who will be nearby a copter. Any recommendations ?
Borrc is offline Find More Posts by Borrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:58 AM
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
1,655 Posts
This is a model helicopter, or real one? Need significant audio power output, and directionality,

due to the noise of a chopper, pretty severe. The power level has to be determined, then spkr,
amp, etc can be chosen.

Also must know how much weight you can lift, first.
jglenn is offline Find More Posts by jglenn
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:26 AM
Joined Feb 2013
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglenn View Post
This is a model helicopter, or real one? Need significant audio power output, and directionality,
due to the noise of a chopper, pretty severe. The power level has to be determined, then spkr,
amp, etc can be chosen.
Also must know how much weight you can lift, first.
I intend to purchase DJI F550 frame but don't know what components to choose
that hexacopter could carry both gopro camera with camera mount ( http://www.fpvmodel.com/SBGC.html ) and loudspeaker, and with flying time at least 8-10 min and more.
- as for RC which one can you recommend,the most powerful one capable to work thru obstacles like trees ? as I live in the forest
- as for OSD, can Cyclops Storm be connected to Naza controller ?

Thank you in advance
Last edited by Borrc; Feb 10, 2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:32 AM
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
1,655 Posts
Need some input from others, I suspect that 72 MHz radio would be better than 2.4GHz,
but not sure. Not sure about other questions, but a speaker loud enough to hear, will
have some weight, and probably needs some kind of enclosure. The amplifier will add
weight, too. The audio transmission, 2 way, is another problem. Could be a tough project.
jglenn is offline Find More Posts by jglenn
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:44 AM
Play loud, Fly high
Vincennes,IN USA
Joined Apr 2007
652 Posts
2 way communication

A simple starting point would be to use a set of walkie-talkies with one set to VOX and suspended below the copter far enough to prevent triggering by the copter noise. You use press to talk to transmit to the copter, and hope the person on the other end talks loud enough to trigger the one on the copter.
Gil Gauger is offline Find More Posts by Gil Gauger
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:45 PM
Joined Feb 2013
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglenn View Post
Need some input from others, I suspect that 72 MHz radio would be better than 2.4GHz,but not sure. Not sure about other questions, but a speaker loud enough to hear, will
have some weight, and probably needs some kind of enclosure. The amplifier will add weight, too. The audio transmission, 2 way, is another problem. Could be a tough project.
Yes, agree if there is an extra weight, first need to calc. net weight of all devices regarding loadspeaker project. If any ideas, pls, send me some links try to start assembling
Last edited by Borrc; Feb 10, 2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:54 PM
Joined Feb 2013
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Gauger View Post
I also thought about walkie talkie from the very beginning but WT,s speaker needs to be changed to bigger speaker coz of propellers noise which means again need an amplifier, correct ? Or you meant something different
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:17 PM
Play loud, Fly high
Vincennes,IN USA
Joined Apr 2007
652 Posts
Distance and directionality

If the speaker and microphone are suspended by cable far enough below the copter and facing down, away from the blade noise, you MAY be able to achieve sufficient level difference between the noise and person you are trying to communicate with. Take a quick study of sound propogation characteristics particularly in regard to attenuation with distance and how this is frequency dependant. Another possible solution is noise canceling technology as used in headphones, where the blade noise is summed back into the input out of phase, thereby canceling out that noise.
Gil Gauger is offline Find More Posts by Gil Gauger