HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:02 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,786 Posts
Well, well, well... I believe I'm now a believer! That's is a great video, this plane looks like a whole lot of fun! Unfortunately EPO foam is a no-go in my book, yes it can be glued back together but it deforms too easy, with EPP it just tears but bounces back to its original shape.

I guess I could treat it like my balsa planes and just not crash!

It's still ugly and expensive so for now I'll hold onto my wallet.
Bloosee is online now Find More Posts by Bloosee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:06 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
925 Posts
Thanks to HH and Seth/Dave for the new postings and especially for the new promo vid. I'm impressed
It seems that the vid runs slower in the first part..isn't it ? The plane flies very calm and smooth...if not I have to say "awesome" !
As mentioned...300$ is a high price and I also understand higher prices for new components ...hope the price goes down in the nearest future after release. Like the Scimitar...maybe...don't think that the German's pay approx 270,-EUR and therefore I assume the price will be down in the seller's online shops
-
Just bought my Edge 540QQ..my wife will kill me if I want to buy the VisionAire next time ...and after that the next new awesome plane comes (Beast )
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:16 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,652 Posts
I have my doubts about this planes usefulness in teaching someone 3d. As soon as they get a real 3D plane that does not have a gryro and they have to fly it it will be like learning how to fly all over again. Looks like a fun plane and all, but I think it will teach the noob 3D flyer bad habits.

I could be wrong, but just something to think about.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:25 PM
accel8or
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2010
485 Posts
Finally, a replacement for their Parkzone Typhoon. Greatly improved, I see. I'm getting one.
accel8or is offline Find More Posts by accel8or
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: How people size you up
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:26 PM
accel8or
Joined Dec 2010
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by llbr22 View Post
This plane reminds me of the Typhoon. Same target customer (sport guys looking to play w/ 3D), similar look (which I never liked, sorry, too cartoon-like), but much much more capable. Gotta love innovation.
Well even the PA Addiction is along these lines, true, but man can this design fly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:28 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,029 Posts
Sorry,read it a couple times in this thread already(two VERY different types of foam). No where on the info page is any other foam mentioned. Z-FOAM is what this plane is constructed with and its clearly stated as ''Carbon-reinforced Z-Foam™ construction'' on the parkzone product page under features HERE .

EDIT: The manufacturing process for various names of epo foam can have noticeably different qualities in rigidity,cracking,impact absorption etc.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Get Real; Jan 05, 2013 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Correcting foam discussion
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:32 PM
accel8or
Joined Dec 2010
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
I'll pick one up, it should be a popular model, I love parkkflyer 3D planes, and this one looks both capable and gentle. I put rate gyros in a E-flite Yak with better servos, and it has been one of my favorite for the last couple years. They gyros cancel wind, coupling, and smooth transitions for moves like rolling harriers, but slow snappy moves and some spins. They are set up so I can adjust them from the TX and usually fly with low gain, where it just feels like the plane is really stable, the weather is really good, and it is set up perfectly, makes it easier to learn new 3D moves. I do fly a few other 3D planes without gyros too, still fun, and I can progress faster by learning the moves on the gentler Yak first.
Yours on 2 or 3 axes?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:33 PM
accel8or
Joined Dec 2010
485 Posts
This'll be my go-to plane. My warbirds are a lot of fun, but I've progressed skill-wise and am finding myself doing pattern stuff in a parkflyer field. this is a good looking parkflyer sized plane.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:05 PM
accel8or
Joined Dec 2010
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
It looks like they finally gave you the ability to adjust or turn off AS3X, although i'll probably just leave it on. At least we don't have to hear people complain about AS3X, now you can have it your way.
i think they should just mind their own business and fly their own planes. that's why i go to the field; to fly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:09 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
Sorry,read it a couple times in this thread already(two VERY different types of foam). No where on the info page is any other foam mentioned. Z-FOAM is what this plane is constructed with and its clearly stated as ''Carbon-reinforced Z-Foam™ construction'' on the parkzone product page under features HERE .
Sorry for being naive, but isn't Z-foam just a type of EPO? I'm familiar with EPO, EPP and Depron. I don't have any larger than UM sized Parkzone planes.
Bloosee is online now Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:18 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
I have my doubts about this planes usefulness in teaching someone 3d. As soon as they get a real 3D plane that does not have a gryro and they have to fly it it will be like learning how to fly all over again. Looks like a fun plane and all, but I think it will teach the noob 3D flyer bad habits.

I could be wrong, but just something to think about.
It does help a little bit for the 3D, but if it's anything like the ultra-micro, it's not flying the airplane for you, it simply make it feel bigger, and let you fly in some wind without worrying too much about it... So, overall, you will feel like you're flying a bigger airplane (or one this size, but in much less wind then there really is). The only problem would be if you quickly switch from this airplane to another one which is the same size but without AS3X. You would/should simply feel like you're flying a smaller airplane or flying in more wind.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:42 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,029 Posts
Blossee,manufacturing process can very greatly between the different types of foam and the finished products weight,density,rigidity,and flexibility etc. This is way off topic but z-foam and epo are different types of foam .
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:21 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by accel8or View Post
Yours on 2 or 3 axes?
3 axis. I have the aileron gyro gain on the gear channel and tail gyros gain on the flap channel. On low rates you don't really feel them, it just feels like the plane is dialed in perfectly. If I am doing a lot of fast snappy manuvers I just use the aileron gyro, and turn the others off, for harriers and slow technical 3d I use all 3 on medium gain, high rates with low expo, the plane is more responsive, but the gyros smooth it and keep it from being twitchy, so you don't need as much expo, even with high rates at high speed. I also have a single aileron gyro on the parkzone extra 300, it counters wing rock in a harrier, roll coupling in KE, or wing rock in the wind. I fly FBL helis too, and they pretty much require 3x gyros, so i'm fairly open minded to the benefits. I have experimented with gyros in most of my RC stuff, a SC truck, helis, sport, scale and 3d planes, they are getting better, and are the direction things are going.

If you fly a plane where the gyros are set up properly, you don't notice them, they handle most small corrections, but don't get in the way of flying, they only limit unwanted movement. You can achive the same feel if you take hours fine tuning your setup, sacrifice some scale for aerodynamics, dial in perfect mixes, and fly on a windless day. With gyros a decent setup feels perfect, a twitchy unstable airframe feels smooth, and flying in bad weather is easy. They simply allow you to make the plane do what you want instead of spending most of your attention on countering the movements you don't want.
alucard0822 is online now Find More Posts by alucard0822
Last edited by alucard0822; Jan 05, 2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:30 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
Here's a YouTube link Quique just texted me of Seth flying in the Armory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvJ4T...ature=youtu.be
well that should help quieten the rabble

looks to me this plane is a capable unit, that can do anything you throw at it. Look at it in the hands of a pro The only question it asks is "whats your skill level?" and answers with "well if your ready for this, I Can Help You!"

My experience with AS3X has only been good and i think in the ultra micros, oh and i have flown them all it has made the flying pleasure more enhanced, as the plane flys bigger not being thrown around by the conditions as much, but! has not really made me think i can let my concentration go because AS3X is going to fly my plane, to me i only really know it's there when i then, fly a UM plane after that doesn't have AS3X

err i'm about to put up the maiden of the UM p-40 and to my embarrassment I CRASHED the 1s plane on maiden DOHHHH i haven't hit the deck for months, lucky for me it was over grass i cut the throttle and had not one scratch your see in the video anyway my point AS3X didn't save the p-40, in fact it didn't help fly the plane at all, the dumb ass behind the sticks crashed it

i so hope OMP offer one of these for me to review it looks great, i still want one even though i maidened my new CZ Yak54 this morning, if the VisionAire had been released 2 weeks back i think i might have gone this way before the Yak54, but must say after flying this morning the yaks a winner in my books too

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:58 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
Here's a YouTube link Quique just texted me of Seth flying in the Armory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvJ4T...ature=youtu.be
Dang!! Excellent flying from Seth as always and probably something that should convince the more advanced 3D flyers that this plane will be fun for them too! Sweet!
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm