SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:13 AM
United States, FL, Navarre
Joined May 2004
274 Posts
Discussion
1980s Hirobo Bell 47 restoration/conversion

Hey gents,

After almost a year I've finally finished, and flight tested a complete restoration of an old school Bell 47. It was in awful shape, imagine an emerald green cockpit and fuel tanks. Poo yellow main frame and tail truss, and bright orange stripes on the fertilizer hoppers. Just horrible. Stripped everything down to kit form, stripped down all the paint off the parts one by one. Finished sanded them all and re-assembled with all new hardware. I had to replace the canopy which had been smashed in a crash, built new skids and struts out of tubing, I had to buy new tail plastic. All the guns are 1/6 scale .30 calibers and the mounts/ammunition feed assemblies are scratch built and removable. The pilot is from Ebay, and the cockpit is scratch built.
Madguns is online now Find More Posts by Madguns
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:39 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,465 Posts
It looks very interesting. The restoration was well worth it. I was not aware that the army had used the 47 as a gun ship, very cool. Judging by the size of the pilot, that must be a 1/6th scale heli, as I am not familiar with most of the older models except for the HeliBaby, a few Dubro models, and the Graupner Bell 212. That mast looks very real. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:28 AM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
Nice restoration!
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:42 AM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Aug 2005
813 Posts
Hello

Been there, its a big job since almost all parts are visible, mine was also in a awful shape, somehow I got it as new with armycolours but unfortunally newer got it in the air, mine had the old 20cc hirobo gas engine, looks like yours has the same engine.

You did a very good job with it, looks beautiful!

Cheers
Jack
viggen65 is offline Find More Posts by viggen65
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:58 PM
United States, FL, Navarre
Joined May 2004
274 Posts
Thanks!

It scales out to about 1/6.5.5 scale. So good to use any 1/6 scale dolls and accessories.

Its actually got the 26cc motor. Originally the 20cc engine was painted a light green mint color. On this one its the bright orange, which had to be painted.

The rotor head is an SST Eagle head. Lots of its parts were painted green because the chrome plating had pitted in the Okinawa sea air and started to rust. The head is so old that most of the black anodizing had faded in the sunlight to a dark blue color.
Madguns is online now Find More Posts by Madguns
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:16 AM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Aug 2005
813 Posts
I have the hirobo original catalouge from 1983 where the bell is in...nostalgia.

Cheers
Jack
viggen65 is offline Find More Posts by viggen65