HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:42 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,299 Posts
Did some more work today... First up was modding the center section parts to accept the wing tube sockets. I had already modified Rib 3A by using the outer wing panel rib #3's to position the wing tube holes. Sections CC and EE needed slotted for the sockets, and the other ribs needed 1/2 rounds cut out of them in the applicable area's. Since these socket slots in the carry through spar bulkheads were where the slots for the interlocking ribs where, they were only partially cut or tack glued back into position so as to make assembly of the parts easier.

Then i glued all the nose ribs to the forward carry through spar.

Then the center rib sections where glued to the rear carry through spar, then this sub-assembly glued to the forward carry through spar once it was placed in the jig and and determined to be straight. Then all of the aft rib segments were glued into position, along with all of the other side-to-side bulkhead segments:

Then the forward wing tube socket segments were removed:

Then the rears:

Then the actual wing tubes in the outer wing panels needed shortening 1" each, so these were pulled out, shortened, de-stressed, then redrilled/tapped and re-installed. Then both wing panels were slid into position in the center section.

Then the nacelle's had their longerons glued into position to get the top of the center section ready for sheeting and strip planking. This thing will be sheeted with 1/8" balsa, so the sheeting/strip planking will be a bit different compared to the smaller version:

Then the 1/32" ply trailing edge pieces were test fit. I'm not planning on installing these until the top of the fuselage is sheeted and then flipped over, as they are a pain in the butt to keep straight right now:

Sheeting begins tomorrow, hopefully.. And now you guys know why we are doing a mold/molded center section for the flying versions. I bet all this plywood weights close to 10lbs, granted we could probably eliminate 6 of it with lightning holes, but I'm betting the composite center section will be closer to 2 to 3lbs.
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:13 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,532 Posts
Looking great Invertmast!
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:35 PM
United States, VA, Timberville
Joined Oct 2012
45 Posts
looks great!!! going to start my wings this weekend.
thtaco is offline Find More Posts by thtaco
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,299 Posts
Its about time you got on here!

Everyone... Thtaco is my building buddy on this project. He was the one responsible for cutting all of the center section parts.

Now we can all get him to post a few progress photos of his build on here as well
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:22 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,299 Posts
Now THIS is what I am talkin about.. this is why a I enjoy building so much... you take a bunch of wood scraps and make something AWESOME out of it... ok, not scraps, but you get what I'm sayin

First up was taking a sanding block and running across the leading edge ribs to true them all up with each other. Then a 3/16" false leading edge was installed. Then it was time for sheeting this center section...

So some 1/8"x6"x48" sheet balsa was ripped down to 8- 6" square pieces, then these were installed along the tip rib edges just like the smaller version. from about 3/4 way back on the engine nacelle, the sheeting was done in a long strip.

Then the spine and top center of the engine nacelle's were sheeted:

Then the rest of the bat-tail was sheeted. I've got to make the cutouts and install the exhaust duct portion's now and it also has been left oversize.

Then the right wing had its 1/4" leading edge installed and rough shaped and its wingtip installed and rough shaped. The wings were then put on to make sure they matched up with the center section once sheeted.

Then I got the right rear nacelle section strip planked:
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:43 AM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,496 Posts
so when do you sleep?....lookin nice
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:54 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,299 Posts
Haha. That was only 4 hours of work.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:41 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,299 Posts
Got a bit done while the little man was taking his nap...

Got both rear nacelle's strip planked and filler applied:

Then got the inlet ducts cut, installed and sanded to the same taper as the LE. now I can start strip planking the front portions.

Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:11 PM
Port Orchard Washington
Joined Jul 2009
140 Posts
are you kidding me that is one of the most beautiful builds i have seen in a long time. way to go. i am watching with bated breath to see how this comes out in the end
gaexcalibur is offline Find More Posts by gaexcalibur
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:51 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,436 Posts
This 229 is shaping up SUPER!

Can't wait to see you build the GeeBee one of these days
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:55 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,299 Posts
Thanks sammy. The geebee will be getting painted at the same time as this model. I plan to have them both ready to go for next season
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:48 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,299 Posts
Last bit done for the evening...

Strip planked the left side of the cockpit and forward engine nacelle's, and put a butter coat of wood filler on it:

Then started on the right side:

Then finished the right side the same as the left:

A shot from the front:

Then installed the exhaust fairings:

Then put it all back together...

Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:37 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,299 Posts
Didn't do much today, kinda took a breather for a bit...

But I did do the first round of sanding of filler on the top of the fuse, then put the 2nd round of filler on. Also did the prelim trimming of the inlets, still more work to do to those.

Then enlarged the wing tube holes in the junction rib so the wing tube sockets would fit through, then flopped the whole thing over, aligned the wing panels and epoxied the wing tube sockets in place. all to do now, is to let it cure overnight, cut the outer wing panels free, trim the trailing edges and then start sheeting/planking the bottom. I figure i'll be pretty close to done building wise by the end of tomorrow, so when I return, I can finish the last bit of shaping/sanding and then start glassing everything.

Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:30 AM
Joined Jan 2007
111 Posts
Thomas, Beautiful work on the center section. Moving along really well, my projects tend to plod along due to work/daughter schedules. I wanna be quicker- like you! lol

With that much wing area, I think cubic loading will be working in your favor greatly. I predict that she will not only fly very well, but that you will be pleasantly surprised at the glide ratio and slow speed/low throttle setting flight.

My 82" model is 8 Lbs. yet glides beautifully. If you look at my video closely, you can note some periods of low throttle flying and throttle off glide. At one point you can faintly hear my friend ask "what's that, about half throttle?" and me respond, "no that's off".

Did you ever get a hold of the Bentley drawings? He has a full website:
http://www.albentley-drawings.com/horten_ho229.htm

Mark
Horten Freak is offline Find More Posts by Horten Freak
Last edited by Horten Freak; Oct 13, 2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: additional info.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,299 Posts
Mark,
I think I have seen that video before, very impressed with the low speed capabilities. I fully expect this one to be just as good in that regard. I even have a slight feeling that it may be TO light for its size and look very "floaty" in flight. If thats the case, we may have to add more batteries

I never have been able to get ahold of the Bentley drawings, I sure wish i had them though. I've emailed him through his website numerous times and have gotten no response.

Thomas