United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Feb 2012
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JookSing View Post
My thoughts exactly! 7000ft?!?!?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancraig10 View Post

I'll try dropping mine out of a real helicopter.......
Would my heli have more power at the bottom of the grand canyon? lol

I know the air is thinner at higher elevations but I wouldn't think 7000 feet would be enough to make a huge difference.

I am however completely uneducated on the subject.
liduno is online now Find More Posts by liduno
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:25 PM
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Apr 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liduno View Post
Would my heli have more power at the bottom of the grand canyon? lol

I know the air is thinner at higher elevations but I wouldn't think 7000 feet would be enough to make a huge difference.

I am however completely uneducated on the subject.
Not really,
The bottom of the Grand Canyon averages at about 2,200 feet, apparently, with the lowest elevation at 2,000 feet above sea level.

The highest elevation for the canyon is on the North Rim at over 9,000 feet. So your heli would fly a lot worse on the North Rim.

Flying in New Orleans..... Now you're talking, there are areas actually below sea level. Or on the East Coast (North Eastern US) on a spring and fall morning or evening, where the density altitude can be substantially negative.

And yes 7000' will make a big difference.
token44 is offline Find More Posts by token44
Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Feb 2012
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by token44 View Post
Not really,
The bottom of the Grand Canyon averages at about 2,200 feet, apparently, with the lowest elevation at 2,000 feet above sea level.

The highest elevation for the canyon is on the North Rim at over 9,000 feet. So your heli would fly a lot worse on the North Rim.

Flying in New Orleans..... Now you're talking, there are areas actually below sea level. Or on the East Coast (North Eastern US) on a spring and fall morning or evening, where the density altitude can be substantially negative.

And yes 7000' will make a big difference.
I mistakenly though the grand canyon was a mile below sea level, I'm in south Florida, most of which is pretty much at sea level..

Ok who's gonna put a gps on their heli and let it go straight up to see what the max is? lol
Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:59 PM
Joined Mar 2011
213 Posts
Try Death Valley - 282 feet below sea level
Coptafeel is offline Find More Posts by Coptafeel
Old Apr 19, 2012, 04:50 PM
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Apr 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coptafeel View Post
Try Death Valley - 282 feet below sea level
Sounds good, but often because it is so hot, the density altitude gets to about 3000'.
token44 is offline Find More Posts by token44
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:29 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,431 Posts
Blade 130X Indoors with Hamish Scott

With thanks to Hamish Scott and Modelflight.com.au Thrillseeker Productions brings you a close up look at the new Blade 130X being "Thrashed" indoors. Hamish is a great pilot and really puts this little beauty through it's paces hitting the ground a few times and just flying on like nothing happened this heli is durable! as your see in the video.
I reckon this heli is going to leave the shop shelf's quickly, thats for sure

Now this thing flies fast, is small and was hard to follow, i think i captured it the best my ol 56yr old body could as always full screen HD is the best to view this heli in anyway sit back and enjoy

cheers chuck

PS answers a few of the questions posed above aye!

Blade 130X Indoors with Hamish Scott (4 min 12 sec)
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:40 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
With thanks to Hamish Scott and Modelflight.com.au Thrillseeker Productions brings you a close up look at the new Blade 130X being "Thrashed" indoors. Hamish is a great pilot and really puts this little beauty through it's paces hitting the ground a few times and just flying on like nothing happened this heli is durable! as your see in the video.
I reckon this heli is going to leave the shop shelf's quickly, thats for sure

Now this thing flies fast, is small and was hard to follow, i think i captured it the best my ol 56yr old body could as always full screen HD is the best to view this heli in anyway sit back and enjoy

cheers chuck

PS answers a few of the questions posed above aye!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9LpTnRoxV8
Looks very GOOD and great flying.. About the durability, I don't know if I would go out on the limb yet,, for me flying over a polished wooden floor is not real life for me. Lets see some crashes on to the grass and pavement and a couple of full speed body strikes like I fly...
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:48 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,022 Posts
Chuck, I usually like your videos, but I don't see any point in this.
Do people really fly like that? If so, why?
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:54 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
Chuck, I usually like your videos, but I don't see any point in this.
Do people really fly like that? If so, why?
Ron
Hey the guy learned to fly and saved it in time for a good landing didn't he.. All in just one battery how long did it take you to learn to fly a whole battery and land safely?? Did you see that other fool walk out and pick up his airplane??

Heck I backed away from my monitor as I was afraid he was going to come out of it and hit me..
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:07 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Hey the guy learned to fly and saved it in time for a good landing didn't he.. All in just one battery how long did it take you to learn to fly a whole battery and land safely?? Did you see that other fool walk out and pick up his airplane??

Heck I backed away from my monitor as I was afraid he was going to come out of it and hit me..
That's a very good point. I guess it took me years to learn, but I am much better than that. I can keep it still now.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:37 PM
Joined Feb 2012
271 Posts
Wow chuck, I was expecting crashes.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:25 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
That's a very good point. I guess it took me years to learn, but I am much better than that. I can keep it still now.
Ron

Same here,, now I can keep it right side up and in one spot the whole flight. No more of this lucky save here lucky save there like this guy had.. Looked like he couldn't even make up his mind where he wanted it to be at let alone keep it there.. But being a young kid I'm sure he will get the hang of it quickly and start having nice smooth scale like flights shortly.

I must say the 130X did handle it nicely.. So it should be able to do scale flights great..
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:50 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,310 Posts
I'm afraid I'm disappointed with Blade. They have not done their homework, and are missing out on a huge segment of sales for the 130X as a result. There should have been an option that supplied a canopy with the same colour and design as the mCP-X. How else am I supposed to prevent my wife from realising that I have bought yet ANOTHER heli??
Harrow is online now Find More Posts by Harrow
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:52 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
I'm afraid I'm disappointed with Blade. They have not done their homework, and are missing out on a huge segment of sales for the 130X as a result. There should have been an option that supplied a canopy with the same colour and design as the mCP-X. How else am I supposed to prevent my wife from realising that I have bought yet ANOTHER heli??
Just take it off they all look the same naked..
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:02 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Just take it off they all look the same naked..
So, THAT'S why most of the guys at my local heli club fly their birds naked. Can't believe I never thought of it myself. Thanks for the tip!
Harrow is online now Find More Posts by Harrow