SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:33 PM
Wirral, UK
Joined Jan 2007
287 Posts
Discussion
Hydra 120 timing help pls!

Hello,

I have a hydra 120 in a large fast electric boat. I am about to fit a Scorpion HK-4025 Motor, running on 6 lipo cells, having read the tech spec on the motor, its timing is set at 5 degrees, its not adjustable. Can someone please explaing the timing settings on the esc, what should I have it on, want fast, but not a doomsday setting as the boat is heavy (6.5kg) all ply construction, eagle tree data has it just under 25mph with the gear ratio and prop it runs on,
thanks
pmdevlin is offline Find More Posts by pmdevlin
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2011, 07:35 AM
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
519 Posts
Hi
The HK being a helicopter version - we run that motor usually with a PWM setting of 8khz & the Timing set to Low with very good success.

Hope this helps.

Steve
RS Rogers is offline Find More Posts by RS Rogers
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:06 AM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Olathe, KS (next to the Castle)
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
Actually, Hydra ESCS do not have adjustable switching rates and cannot be set to run an outrunner optimally. Like it or not, we simple do not feel outrunners are appropriate for boats and do not support them. We have gone around on this and this will not change. Boats should have higher Kv motors and the high torque/low Kv of outrunners are simply not appropriate for them. This does not mean that people do not use outrunners in boats, it simple means Castle Creations does not support them in this applications.

Bernie
Bernie Wolfard is offline Find More Posts by Bernie Wolfard
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:06 AM
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
519 Posts
I should have expressed when I said "we" in my previous post that was heli pilots using the HK series of motors in Helis with controllers for that application. Bernie is correct that PWM is not a choice on the Hydra controllers.
The larger Scorpion outrunners are being used A LOT boats & I havent heard of any ill effects from the boaters I know that are using them. I've actually heard good things. Not that they may not exist but I personally havent heard of any.

Check the boating forums & I am sure there is info to be found.

Steve
RS Rogers is offline Find More Posts by RS Rogers
Old Dec 13, 2011, 05:40 PM
Wirral, UK
Joined Jan 2007
287 Posts
Hi Bernie, so you know the application, I use the Hydra as I doubt anything else that is plug and go, can handle this, amp draw with align heli motors typically is 80 plus. The hyrda provides bullet proof performance, very smooth take off, with low speed capabilities, and slow reverse, something that scale boaters dont think exist!

I am about to fit the scorpion, which was recommended after significant testing with data logging, developing which prop gives the best play off between run time/heat/efficiency and speed.

Having tested higher kv motors, the lower kv is required for the torque, its a 6.5kg boat so needs the grunt to get it going. As a comparison, a 1250kv motor need a gear ratio of 1.25:1 to achieve satisfactory results, with a lower kv motor I can get the ratio to almost 1:1, its belt driven, so you do actually support these unusual applications by having such a good esc!, its just I dont understand the timing, I am still on stock settings, anything you can suggest to try would be appreciated

I cannot say how good this esc is, now 3 yrs old, never had any problems, but been through plenty of motors!

RC Huntsman 28 (4 min 1 sec)
pmdevlin is offline Find More Posts by pmdevlin