HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:17 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
"Solved" is still going to involve user verification! But yes, there will be an update which makes the conversion a little easier especially for those coming from 2.04.

Andy
bold says no
italics say ... in a different way
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:19 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
I've downgraded back to 2.04 rather than have to check and re-program each and every model (I'm lazy). Are you saying that if I skip 2.05 and wait for 2.06, the upgrade will not require me to re-program the subtrim and servo travels on all my models that contain reversed channels?

Paul
Hi Paul,

If you are still on 2.04, then when you upgrade to 2.06 it will check and see if your model needs to be updated. If it does and you allow it to, it will make the changes and remind you to verify them. You can also have it skip that step, and you will need to make the changes yourself if you haven't already (ie, if you are updating from 2.05 and made them yourself).

You will still need to verify correct operation before flying, of course, but it will save you the trouble of going through each affected servo and model manually and changing them.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:41 PM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,455 Posts
Need help with a mix...

Iím running Flaperon wing configuration with individual servos on aileron. Works great in a power off glide. I have two positions of flaps on the flap switch. Hereís what I want to doÖ I want to add another mix (mix1) to give me down elevator when throttle is added Ė but only when flaps are deployed. I thought I could do a simple mix (throt -> elev) but switch choices in the mix programs donít allow the flap switch to initiate a mix. Now what? Can I reassign the flap switch somehow? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Piper J3 is offline Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:45 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,112 Posts
So I guess the Elevator compensation in the Flap menu is not enough?
Are you looking for it to be throttle proportional?

Do you absolutely need the Flaps to be on the Flap switch or could the Flaps be activated with FM switch?
If so then you could now create your throttle/elevator mix using FM 1,2 as switch.

If you want to have Flaps on the Flap switch with Elevator comp. AND also have your mixed Throttle to Elevator for added elevator compensation based on throttle stick position then do the following.

Once you have create your MIX for example on MIX1, save your model memory to SD card.
Export SPM file and open with WORDPAD on a PC.

Scroll down to P-MIX and change this BOLD LINE, this represents the Flap switch. Note that it will be a different number then 43, change it to 43 (think default is 127)
Now save and IMPORT the model file back in the radio.
If you go to your Servo Monitor you will now see the flap switch control you flaperons and elevator comp. if you added some and you will also see when you throttle up the elevator will be mixed with throttle. The THR/ELE mix will be active in Flap Switch position 1 and 2

Quote:
<P-Mix>
*Index= 0
analogID= 16
conditionID= 43
trimID= 0
activePositions=%0006
outChan= 194
Your mix should include OFFSET when mixing to throttle and if you want it to start from low position.

PM me if you need any more info.

PS: if you do the SPM Editing option, when you go back into the MIX you created you will notice that the SW: is showing INH, this is normal behaviour when making changes to the file that the radio's menu normaly won't allow.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Last edited by freechip; Sep 12, 2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:44 PM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,455 Posts
Thanks for the help...

Wow... I asked for help and I got it pronto. Thank you freechip - I though it would be you answering my plea. I will need to study this and get my head around it. I will try to make the program change this weekend. My intention is to have the throt-elev mix so I can add a little throttle to stretch a flaps-down glide without having to force gobs of down elevator.
Piper J3 is offline Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:41 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Iím running Flaperon wing configuration with individual servos on aileron. Works great in a power off glide. I have two positions of flaps on the flap switch. Hereís what I want to doÖ I want to add another mix (mix1) to give me down elevator when throttle is added Ė but only when flaps are deployed. I thought I could do a simple mix (throt -> elev) but switch choices in the mix programs donít allow the flap switch to initiate a mix. Now what? Can I reassign the flap switch somehow? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Why do you want that? With flaps down (typical approach configuration) throttle is used to adjust altitude. By adding a mix like that you'll make flying approaches much harder.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:27 AM
Joined Mar 2009
254 Posts
I have a SPMA9575 Altimeter just installed on my Hex, but there is little information as to how it calibrates itself? If I set the Hex in the yard and power it up, it starts off lo, but creeps up to ~10-12' (the yard is 1505' AMSL). So, I assume it's attempting to zero itself at the current AMSL? Nevertheless as I watch it, even on the ground it will wander up as high as 25'. What can I expect the true verticle accuracy of these to be?

Also, is there a way to calibrate the TM1000 voltage monitor that's .2V off? My Hex doesn't glide on a low battery, it drops

Thanks!
SCVJeff is offline Find More Posts by SCVJeff
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:51 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
I have a SPMA9575 Altimeter just installed on my Hex, but there is little information as to how it calibrates itself? If I set the Hex in the yard and power it up, it starts off lo, but creeps up to ~10-12' (the yard is 1505' AMSL). So, I assume it's attempting to zero itself at the current AMSL? Nevertheless as I watch it, even on the ground it will wander up as high as 25'. What can I expect the true verticle accuracy of these to be?

Also, is there a way to calibrate the TM1000 voltage monitor that's .2V off? My Hex doesn't glide on a low battery, it drops

Thanks!
The altimeter calibrates itself when it powers on.Barometric altitude is a tricky one to keep calibrated.This thing is extremely sensitive.If you power it on and it zeros(AGL) and then moves into much warmer air or the airtemp locally around the sensor goes up the air becomes less dense and the sensor interprets it as a gain in altitude.This is an inherent physical property of air.The sensor is reading the pressure and it doesnt know if it is purely an altitude gain of if it is simply moving into less dense air at the same altitude.
Try to initialize it when it is acclimated to its actual flying environment as best as possible.If its nice and cool in the shade and your going to fly in the direct sun sit it in the sun for a bit and then initialize it.

Ive had a TM that was slightly out of calibration.It got that way when I forgot to unplug the lead from my balance tap(where I tap the lead into) and left power to it for a day.After that it read .2 volts at actual zero.I marked it and just put a "fudge factor" into my alarm settings and my brain interpretation of the number on the screen.
It is what it is.Understanding how it works helps getting your brain to workaround these small variations.Its a free solution to some compromise it just requires a bit of brain engagement.

Im sure all this stuff could be designed and built to maintain mil-spec accuracy/tolerances in all conditions but we likely wouldnt be able to afford it.Even if we could there there would still be deviations.
aerocal is online now Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:08 AM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,866 Posts
Guys, someone is asking me the following:
Does the count down timer work correctly in a situation where throttle is reversed, and timer is set to activate when >25% (airware 2.05).
(ie does the timer start and stop correctly)
I m on holidaysso don t have mydx8 at hand)
struggleforlife is offline Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:47 AM
England
Joined Nov 2005
1,115 Posts
Quote:
Hi Paul,

If you are still on 2.04, then when you upgrade to 2.06 it will check and see if your model needs to be updated. If it does and you allow it to, it will make the changes and remind you to verify them. You can also have it skip that step, and you will need to make the changes yourself if you haven't already (ie, if you are updating from 2.05 and made them yourself).

You will still need to verify correct operation before flying, of course, but it will save you the trouble of going through each affected servo and model manually and changing them.

Andy
I've only had time to work though half of my models with 2.05. Is the check model by model or am I now forced to finish off the others myself ?
netdudeuk is offline Find More Posts by netdudeuk
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:55 AM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
946 Posts
Quote:
Hi Paul,

If you are still on 2.04, then when you upgrade to 2.06 it will check and see if your model needs to be updated. If it does and you allow it to, it will make the changes and remind you to verify them.

Andy
Great, perfect! I'll wait for v2.06. Any ETA?

I had a brief go at developing an Excel spreadsheet that would look for and correct the needed parameters (in addition to other possible features) but got stuck on the file format. I could import a model file into the Open Office version of Excel and display the models perfectly. But I wasn't sure how to write them out again.... there is some sort of delimiter in the file that Excel interprets beautifully on import (Notepad does not). I wasn't sure how to write that delimiter back out correctly because I don't know what it is.

Any chance you are working on a PC utility to manipulate the model files? I can think of all sorts of useful features...... mass programming changes like this last one, translation between various transmitter types (or even brands?), more graphical setup and programming, etc.....

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:00 AM
Joined Oct 2000
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
This may only apply to my model but I fly the Eflite Super Cub 25e. I have three position flaps programmed (zero, 20 degrees and 40 degrees). With appropriately set flap >> elevator mixing, I find I do not need additional throttle >> elevator mixing. Any remaining trim shift with throttle application is very minimal and I compensate without even having to think about it.

Paul
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:11 AM
Joined Feb 2008
2,757 Posts
I wrote a converter in Perl and as I recall (I'm not at home right now) the line ending was a bit unusual, there was a ctrl-Z at the end of the file, and it was padded out to a boundary of 512 or some other common block size. The padding may not matter on reading though - I never got around to testing the import back into the DX8 as was I was waiting to see if there were any more discoveries. Now I'll probably wait for 2.06 instead. (I did get as far as testing that files with no changes needed came out identical to the source files.)
Dave H. is online now Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:23 AM
Joined Oct 2000
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H. View Post
I wrote a converter in Perl and as I recall (I'm not at home right now) the line ending was a bit unusual, there was a ctrl-Z at the end of the file, and it was padded out to a boundary of 512 or some other common block size. The padding may not matter on reading though - I never got around to testing the import back into the DX8 as was I was waiting to see if there were any more discoveries. Now I'll probably wait for 2.06 instead. (I did get as far as testing that files with no changes needed came out identical to the source files.)
Ah, that might be a bit difficult to do in Excel, then. That explains it.

Paul
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:47 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdudeuk View Post
I've only had time to work though half of my models with 2.05. Is the check model by model or am I now forced to finish off the others myself ?
Model by model, as you select the model to use it. It will ask you a question. If you select NO, it assumes you're already done. If you select YES it does it for you and reminds you to check it.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor