Old Dec 17, 2009, 09:46 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Champaign, IL
Joined Jan 2007
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatManDEW View Post
Which airfoiled Yak is that Seth?

Hope you get your motor so you can fly Saturday.
Same Grey/Orange one I had at the last dome fly. My Gernot Airfoiled Yak.

I'll still be up with those two if my motor for my MX2 doesn't show up by then. Hopefully it does.

Seth
3D-Seth is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:11 PM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
Nice.... Where did you get the wheels and what size are they?

Don C
They're one inch GWS wheels. I use 'em on all my indoor foamies. They weigh 1/2 gram each.
KatManDEW is offline Find More Posts by KatManDEW
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:14 PM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Seth View Post
Same Grey/Orange one I had at the last dome fly. My Gernot Airfoiled Yak.

I'll still be up with those two if my motor for my MX2 doesn't show up by then. Hopefully it does.

Seth
I want to take a closer look at your Gernot Yak. I heard about them, but I've never seen any info about them. The guy that was flying with me last time told me later that it was airfoiled, and I was kicking myself in the butt for not noticing it at the time, and taking a closer look at it.

My MX2 should be ready. Basically just gotta hook up the pushrods now, and attach the motor.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 08:36 AM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,228 Posts
Quote:
Got my wheels installed. We fly indoors this weekend, and I hope to have mine RTF by then.
Can you please shoot a few more pictures of your wheel installation? I am ready to install wheels on a foamy and want to use the wheel pants.

Thanks,
dawg
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Old Dec 18, 2009, 02:35 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Champaign, IL
Joined Jan 2007
692 Posts
Quote:
I want to take a closer look at your Gernot Yak. I heard about them, but I've never seen any info about them. The guy that was flying with me last time told me later that it was airfoiled, and I was kicking myself in the butt for not noticing it at the time, and taking a closer look at it.

My MX2 should be ready. Basically just gotta hook up the pushrods now, and attach the motor.
Not a problem, I'll have it with me.
3D-Seth is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 18, 2009, 05:50 PM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg View Post
Can you please shoot a few more pictures of your wheel installation? I am ready to install wheels on a foamy and want to use the wheel pants.

Thanks,
dawg
The 1.5 inch GWS wheels would probably be more practical on this plane, but I didn't have any on hand. They weigh twice as much, at 1.0 grams apiece, but that's not a real killer.

I used 0.020 inch carbon rod for the wheel pant reinforcment struts.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 05:09 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
How is the axle to landing gear leg joint done. Does just CA and shrink wrap make that joint?
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Dec 19, 2009, 08:46 AM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
How is the axle to landing gear leg joint done. Does just CA and shrink wrap make that joint?
Yes, it just CA and shrink wrap. I've done several this way and they're working well. But this is the first time I've done it with wheel pants. It would probably be more practical to put the wheels on the outside of the wheel pants, so the pants could glue to the spats, but I wanted to make it purdy

I got the idea from someone here on RCG a couple years ago.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 10:29 AM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Nicely done l/g setup KatmanDEW- I like the little pant support struts. L/g always take a beating, usually more in transport than flying. Gives me some ideas for a Breeze Pro I'm about to start building. Also, I've found, if you edge-file a shallow slot on the backside of the gear leg strut covers before CA'ing (then the gearlegs mount flush), it gives more strength/durability/protection overall. It's interesting to note peoples different approaches to l/g setup.
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Dec 19, 2009, 03:23 PM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
I haven't checked yet, but I'll bet wheels installed like this actually weight less than the wire skids.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 05:17 PM
Fast and getting faster!
Albany County, New York, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,563 Posts
Well I put a good 5 flights on each plane, I am very impressed with how they fly. Smooth as Glass in all aspects of flight, great roll rate, very responsive. Bravo RJ! I`m ordering 2 more after christmas!!
FASTALJR is offline Find More Posts by FASTALJR
Old Dec 20, 2009, 06:34 PM
Oly crap.. Deese ease not gud!
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying them!!
hpapilot is offline Find More Posts by hpapilot
Old Dec 20, 2009, 07:03 PM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
The elevator got stuck on mine a couple minutes into the second flight last night, and I had no up elevator. Only down elevator. I didn't have time to think about what to do, and the result was of course not good If the floor hadn't been so close, and there weren't a bunch of other planes buzzing around me, I might have had the presence of mind to go inverted and land upside down. Instead, I "landed" square on the nose

I don't like those pushrod supports. They were probably the culprit. The elevator was working OK after the crash, but I'll bet the pushrod got jammed in the pushrod support and wouldn't allow up elevator. The pushrods in my kit were nice smooth ones, but one of them was way too short, and the other one, which was exactly the right length, was a much larger diameter than the other pushrods (too large). I had some carbon stock that was the correct diameter, but it does not have a nice smooth surface. I waxed it to make it slide easier, but I think it still got jammed.

That's the same pushrod supports used on the Enticement, and I didn't like them on my Enticement, but I haven't had any problem with them. I'll have to look at it and see if it has nice smooth pushrods.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 07:38 PM
Oly crap.. Deese ease not gud!
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
KatManDEW, I'm sorry to hear things didn't go well. I'm a little confused though by the problems you had. The pushrods in the kit are cut from the same 1mm carbon rod as the trussing/supports, so they aren't pre-cut to a certain length. You cut them to whatever length is necessary from the 4 pieces included. There should be one piece of larger-diameter carbon rod included, but this is to be used only for the aileron pushrods to eliminate the need for any sort of guide. Is this the piece of rod you're reffering to as being too large?

The pushrod guides have worked very well for me in the many kits I have built, but I'm interested to hear if you had trouble with them with the included 1mm rod.

Again, sorry you had such trouble.

RJ
hpapilot is offline Find More Posts by hpapilot
Old Dec 20, 2009, 08:41 PM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
My mistake. I was rushing to finish it, and didn't read the instructions closely, and assumed that the elevator and rudder pushrods were supposed to be 1.5mm, like they are on the Enticement. 1mm pushrods might not bind in the supports as easily. I suffer from BAHS (Big Axxed Hurry Syndrome)

I just checked, and one of the elevator pushrod supports was indeed not rock solid, which allowed it to flex back on application of down elevator, and then bind and not allow up elevator. It was after a full down elevator tumble maneuver that I lost up elevator capability.

I've never been a fan of long pushrods, in any way shape or form...