HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2008, 03:52 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1 Posts
Discussion
Losi Desert Truck - poor run time

Hi folks,

Just picked up my little truck. I have run through a couple dozen charge cycles but have never seen more than 4 minutes run time on standard battery and charger? I keep reading 8-10 minutes, so what's up? I check the gear meshing and it seemed loose enough. Any other ideas??

Thanks.

cgardnerma
cgardnerma is offline Find More Posts by cgardnerma
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:31 PM
Hong Kong, China
Joined Aug 2008
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgardnerma
Hi folks,

Just picked up my little truck. I have run through a couple dozen charge cycles but have never seen more than 4 minutes run time on standard battery and charger? I keep reading 8-10 minutes, so what's up? I check the gear meshing and it seemed loose enough. Any other ideas??

Thanks.

cgardnerma
I have the exact same issue. I checked everything I know to check to make sure it's not too tight, greased the tranny, etc. I'm stuck too.
J-Heli is offline Find More Posts by J-Heli
Old Nov 20, 2008, 11:53 PM
Joined Jul 2007
362 Posts
cgardnerma, I had the same issue with the origional Micro T.

The stock batteries are complete junk imo. I had 2 of them.. 1 only had like 1min 30second run time.. and the other maybe 4min.. doubt it though.

To make these little losi cars actuely push out runtimes 10min+ you have to replace the plastic bushings with barrings. that alone will nearly double your run time. Its also the cheapest way to make your car/truck faster, lower temp, and longer runtimes.

after that its like a 12-16dollar Atomic BB motor. Totaly worth the investment but i know money can be an issue with a car like this.
http://www.atomicmods.com/Categories...-T/Motors.aspx
The one i use in my Micro T is the first model.. I'm very impressed with the preformance. haven't played with the Version II they have now but i'm sure its as good or better.

I was also very un impressed at first with my micro T.. short runtimes and slow. But these 2 upgrades... maybe a 30-40dollar lipo battery will REALLY bring these micro cars alive.

3 words for you
barrings barrings barrings.
http://www.atomicmods.com/Categories.../Bearings.aspx
I used the 10 dollar set.. and i got them from my local hobby shop but i noticed a SERIOUS increase in speed/runtime

the bushings you use suck up the battery like a spung. friction friction friction the less the better in almost EVERY situation.
rusty gearz is offline Find More Posts by rusty gearz
Old Nov 21, 2008, 12:38 AM
Hong Kong, China
Joined Aug 2008
127 Posts
I know that these upgrades will help you achieve better runtimes etc., but there is a reason people are claiming 8 minute runtimes (because that's what they're getting), and Losi can't claim 8-10 minute runtimes, if there is no way to get those runtimes, somehow, stock. It's false advertisement. There must be something adjusted wrong or something is what we're saying...
Old Nov 21, 2008, 09:44 PM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
I bought one two weeks ago and have 20 cycles on it. At first mine was really slow and, as you guys said, had maybe 2 minutes of battery duration. during the first few runs I noticed the motor was quite warm so I started looking around. The gear mesh seemed maybe just slightly tight so I opened it up and played with the gear mesh....I noticed that when I tightened up the motor screws the mesh tightened. Once I had it adjusted the truck imediatly picked up speed and duration. I now get 5-6 minutes of run time and the truck is noticably faster. I also think that bearings are nessesary not only for speed and duration but to get some of the play out of the front wheels to help with the trackin/handeling.

I have to say I am pretty impressed for something so small. I have been havin a ball with it running it around on make shift tracks in the house.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Old Nov 21, 2008, 09:52 PM
Hong Kong, China
Joined Aug 2008
127 Posts
I'll have to check my screws to make sure mine arean't overtightened. I'm also very impressed with it, I just want more runtime to be impressed with it! I'll see what I can dig up.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 09:54 AM
Joined Jun 2005
61 Posts
loosen the tranny screws 1/2 turn ... i get 15 minutes on stock desert truck .. I also use Super Brain 959 charger . .
Nitrojunk is offline Find More Posts by Nitrojunk
Old Nov 24, 2008, 09:54 AM
Joined Jun 2005
61 Posts
also go here http://www.microtforum.com/forum/index.php
Nitrojunk is offline Find More Posts by Nitrojunk