Joined Aug 2009
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swordfish1970 View Post
Post 31929, 31927.
Thanks!! Now I'm tracking!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyspu View Post
I used 5 minute epoxy around the entire front wheel area on the firewall, took a piece of balsa ply and epoxied it behind the same firewall section.

On my very first take off the left main gear fell off. I epoxied both mains on and then epoxied Popsicle sticks across them for support. Our field is very rough and tough on gear.
I had both mains pull out too, I epoxied them back on and will use epoxy to back fill that void and build up the bottom section of the firewall.

Thanks Guys!!
SubyDude is offline Find More Posts by SubyDude
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2014, 02:50 PM
United States, CA, Woodside
Joined Mar 2013
265 Posts
Just did a little maintainece on my T-28. I thought I had bent the shaft on my motor because in my FPV video everything began vibrating after a rough landing.

Found out the 4 screws holding the motor mount to the firewall were extremely loose. That was with about 15 flights on the plane.

Check your motor mount screws!
Willyspu is online now Find More Posts by Willyspu
Old Nov 21, 2014, 03:26 PM
"Some do, some don't"
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jul 2013
689 Posts
Quote:
Just did a little maintainece on my T-28. I thought I had bent the shaft on my motor because in my FPV video everything began vibrating after a rough landing.

Found out the 4 screws holding the motor mount to the firewall were extremely loose. That was with about 15 flights on the plane.

Roger that... Thanks for heads up..

Mark R.
old_coastie is offline Find More Posts by old_coastie
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:29 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,550 Posts
Quote:

YES !! I put a little Goop adhesive on my screws
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Nov 22, 2014, 08:47 AM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined Feb 2014
249 Posts
Quick question... on my RocHobby Strega and my Freewing F86, one click of throttle turns the motor on. But, on all my PZ planes, it takes anywhere between 3-5 clicks before the motor starts. Anyone know how to make these PZ planes throttle come on with 1 click? I tried just adding trim, but once you remove the battery to put another one in, it won't fully arm the ESC because it thinks the throttle is partially up. Thanks for any help!
JamesonC is offline Find More Posts by JamesonC
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:15 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesonC View Post
Quick question... on my RocHobby Strega and my Freewing F86, one click of throttle turns the motor on. But, on all my PZ planes, it takes anywhere between 3-5 clicks before the motor starts. Anyone know how to make these PZ planes throttle come on with 1 click? I tried just adding trim, but once you remove the battery to put another one in, it won't fully arm the ESC because it thinks the throttle is partially up. Thanks for any help!
use sub trim and find the sweet spot between the on/off to make the esc happy. my 11x and 9503 have a slider type throttle trim. a little different at first but you can use the slider as a safety device as the esc will not arm if the trim is all the way up. you can also setup a throttle cut on some radios.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Nov 22, 2014, 07:59 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Apr 2014
116 Posts
Had a mishap with my Air Force T-28 today. I flicked the rudder to full rates to try and do some knife edges. As soon as I attempted the first knife edge I see something large exit my plane and tumble. I thought it was an elevator or aileron but the plane was still flying ok. Turns out the negative force was enough to eject the cockpit and pull out fuselage magnet with it. I landed the plane and collected the cockpit.

Unfortunately it tore a small gash in the foam when it hit my wing. I have put clear packing tape over that area for a bit of reinforcement. I have glued the magnet back into place and taped over it. Hopefully that won't happen again.
Hingo is offline Find More Posts by Hingo
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:28 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hingo View Post
Had a mishap with my Air Force T-28 today. I flicked the rudder to full rates to try and do some knife edges. As soon as I attempted the first knife edge I see something large exit my plane and tumble. I thought it was an elevator or aileron but the plane was still flying ok. Turns out the negative force was enough to eject the cockpit and pull out fuselage magnet with it. I landed the plane and collected the cockpit.

Unfortunately it tore a small gash in the foam when it hit my wing. I have put clear packing tape over that area for a bit of reinforcement. I have glued the magnet back into place and taped over it. Hopefully that won't happen again.
Of course without a picture, I can not be certain but, seems like the Canopy has something from preventing it to "Sit" well on the FUSE.

Check to see if the underside FOAM molds are preventing the Canopy from "sitting" completely on the FUSE.

I have flown my Airforce Version many times with continuous Knife Edge flight and never have had any issues.
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:43 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Apr 2014
116 Posts
That's what I initially thought but I knew it was sitting nice and flush when I took off. When I inspected it I saw both magnets stuck together on the cockpit section. It was a very hot day today and I think whatever glue that was holding the fuselage magnet in may have become a bit soft from being in the sun. It also probably came loose after getting quite a workout over the past months. It won't come out again thanks to a bit of gorilla glue and a layer of packing tape.
Hingo is offline Find More Posts by Hingo
Old Nov 23, 2014, 09:47 AM
"Some do, some don't"
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jul 2013
689 Posts
Quote:
That's what I initially thought but I knew it was sitting nice and flush when I took off. When I inspected it I saw both magnets stuck together on the cockpit section. It was a very hot day today and I think whatever glue that was holding the fuselage magnet in may have become a bit soft from being in the sun. It also probably came loose after getting quite a workout over the past months. It won't come out again thanks to a bit of gorilla glue and a layer of packing tape.
+1 on "layer" of packing tape... prob one of the very first "maintenance" things I did with my T-28 (thanks to this thread) have used it on just about every other plane I have that relies on magnets captured? (not so much) in foam.

Mark R.

old_coastie
old_coastie is offline Find More Posts by old_coastie
Old Nov 23, 2014, 08:44 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
595 Posts
My guess is that the canopy magnet failure was coincidental to the knife edge, it was just time to fail. Mine failed just like that, but on its maiden flight. . I didn't lose the fuselage magnet because it was attached to the canopy. I glued it back in place and it's been solid ever since. The adhesive used at the factory is silicone, which is a good choice for gluing in servos because it allows you to get them out should one need replacing, it's not the best choice for canopy magnets

PZ T-28's are great for knife edges, thanks to their fat fuselages and big rudders! Our other two warbirds, a PZ Spitfire and a PZ Focke-Wulf FW-190 can't even come close to matching T-28's knife edges. The Focke-Wulf has a fat fuselage, but its rudder is too small, the Spitfire has a good sized rudder, but its fuselage is too slim to provide much lift.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
I have flown my Airforce Version many times with continuous Knife Edge flight and never have had any issues.
JayY is online now Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2014, 03:55 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
595 Posts
Top Banana

We've picked up a second PZ T-28, it's the favorite plane in our hangar, and wanted it to be different from our first, so we're turning into Julie Clark's Top Banana. Here's how the painting is coming along so far, we have Top Banana decals on order from Callie Graphics.

http://julieclarkairshows.com/julie-...28-top-banana/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhKoIsNda8s
JayY is online now Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2014, 04:02 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
Jay,

Really nice job!
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial