SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 18, 2006, 02:43 PM
Blade Butcher
Boones Mill, VA
Joined Nov 2002
543 Posts
Discussion
Ideas for 78" wing kits....

I have a couple of Sig Senior wing kits (78" constant cord) from many years ago. I had thoughts of a large bipe but then kind of fell out of the hobby. Have returned with renewed enthusiasm after discovering electrics. I was wondering if there were any ideas for use of these wing kits n a twin sp600 application for a stand off scale monoplane. All the recent discussion of OV-10's has gotten me to thinking about creating a fuse to build to use one of these wing kits. After looking around I don't seem to find many twins with constant chord wings. Anyone have any ideas for these?
smitty240 is offline Find More Posts by smitty240
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:25 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,081 Posts
Start going through here:http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/manatee/272/

I am sure you can find something

Mark
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Feb 19, 2006, 07:49 AM
Aberdeen, WA
Joined Sep 2001
315 Posts
that link lets you buy a plasma tv!!!!!!!!!!
Ben
benlo2d is offline Find More Posts by benlo2d
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:18 AM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,081 Posts
Hmmm, works for me, tons of three view drawings, hundreds of them....
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Feb 19, 2006, 12:07 PM
Ravenna,Nbraska
Joined Sep 2003
1,427 Posts
The Piper Aztec and Piper Apache were twins with constant cord wings..
JerryHall is offline Find More Posts by JerryHall
Old Feb 19, 2006, 06:59 PM
Blade Butcher
Boones Mill, VA
Joined Nov 2002
543 Posts
My A&P school had an Apache for a training aid and I used to work for a bug bombing outfit that used an Aztec for mosquito spraying with an ultra low volume chemical. Too bad I don't have those maintenance manuals for three views. Most airplanes that I find have tapered wings and now that Jerry mentioned it, the Pipers were probably the most prolific planes with their constant chord "Hershey bar" wings.

I'll have to beat my way around the web and look for a three view, although Google hasn't been very productive in the various searches I've tried today. Anyone with any info or additional ideas please let me know.

Edit:
I just had a thought (scarey, I know) and the Twin Otter came to mind. Then I figured maybe a Shorts 330. I'm sure the Shorts would be cake since it was a box of a fuse. A,E, T controlsmeans I don't have to mess with the rudders and I'm sure I can scare up some 3 views since the airline I work for used to fly them. I might have a go at the Shorts and if it works out, then maybe a Twin Otter. I've got these Mag Mayhem R's and gearboxes that would work great in these birds if built light.
Last edited by smitty240; Feb 19, 2006 at 07:09 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 09:02 PM
Ravenna,Nbraska
Joined Sep 2003
1,427 Posts
Smitty...
It isn't much, but I could send you a photocopy of what I have..Just send me your mailing address...8 1/2 x 14 sheet...
Photo attached.....
JerryHall is offline Find More Posts by JerryHall
Old Feb 19, 2006, 09:58 PM
Blade Butcher
Boones Mill, VA
Joined Nov 2002
543 Posts
Unique Apache...

I found the following link while seaching the term "twin Stinson". I remembered that Piper acquired the Stinson Co. and that the Apache was a derivative of one of their designs.

http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contri...maker/3394.htm
Old Feb 20, 2006, 12:27 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
Smitty240:
That twin Stinson would certainly make a unique scale subject. The Short Skyvan has been done in a large scale by one of our European members here (I don't recall his name right now), and is also a neat project. The Twin Otter is a great subject to model, but the full scale has a very high aspect ratio wing, like all of DH's stol airframes, so the wide chord wing you have wouldn't look quite right for that plane.

Whichever plane you choose, I'll follow your progress, as I am also a big fan of large electric twins.

Brad.
Brad Trent is offline Find More Posts by Brad Trent
Old Feb 20, 2006, 01:42 AM
De-Brushed user
Midland, Tx / W. Lafayette, Ind.
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty240
I found the following link while seaching the term "twin Stinson". I remembered that Piper acquired the Stinson Co. and that the Apache was a derivative of one of their designs.

http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contri...maker/3394.htm
Gets my vote! Good luck with it, and keep us posted. I always like to hear about people getting back into the hobby because of the new electric capability

Jonathan
CAFplanekid is offline Find More Posts by CAFplanekid