SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 04, 2014, 12:30 PM
France, PACA, La Valette-du-Var
Joined Dec 2012
5,649 Posts
Mini-Review
ESKY F300BL (300mm, 4CH, FBL)

INTRODUCTION

ESKY returned last spring in the Helicopter first entry model via the excellent 150/F150 series, two flyberless models slightly smaller than the V911 but offering great stability, ideal for the transition from FP to CP helo.

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x ESKY F300BL (with a 19.6g 320mAh 2S LiPo end with inverted polarity micro-losi connector)
+ 1 x Controler (using 4xAA batteries not included)
+ 1 x Charger with EU/US socket adaptor
+ 1 x Velcro band to tape on LiPo
+ 1 x Screwdriver
+ 1 x Allen key
+ 1 x Instruction manual (english/chinese)

OVERVIEW

The F300BL is 30cm long so quiet longer model compared to the tiny 150.

The canopy is in practice composed ot two parts glued togather in the central band. The canopy plastic is relatively thin and flexible. Wheels are directly glued on the canopy. Versus time, the plastic will probably break especially in this central part. Wheels also will pop out after a major crash.

The tail motor is a 85mm coreless model

Close to 115g with the LiPo installed

The LiPo is installed in the front part, fixed by the velcro band and this tiny strap. Motor is a brushed model (coreless ?)

The LiPo is 320mAh model. This model have a inverted polarity vs the classic micro-losi connector.

The RFchip is a nRF24L01. Unfortunatly, the protocol used is not compatible with the 150/F150. Maybe they changed some expo rate/end points for this new model.

The swash is located closer to the two (linear) servos. This part will be protected in case of crash.

The micro-losi connector is located on the bottom part. Quiet hard to plug it

FIRST USAGE

For the first take-off, you are positively pleased how stable the F300BL is when you are inputing controls close to the central zone. The stabilization is extremely efficient. You have the feeling to fly a FP heli. In another hand, when the helo start to have some important pitch/roll angle, the auto-stabilization system is not enough to save you. You really need to fly it as a CP. So it's perfect intermediate product between a FP to a CP. The flying duration is approximatively of 5-6mm. The real main drawback very annoying is related to how to turn on/off the F300BL. Each time, you need to remove the front part of the canopy, turn on the TX, turn on the Helo, install it horizontally on a flat surface to initialize the gyro then to reinstall the front part of the canopy. Why they didn't install simply the connector on one side with a miniswitch (accesible via one window ) ? .... Versus time, first cracks in plastic are appearing fast. Most of them are located in the central part spitting in two the canopy. I lost one wheel after a hard crash but was able to reglue it.

CONCLUSIONS

This ESKY would have been the perfect 300mm brushed FBL helo without this annoying system to turn on/off the Helo. The electronic/mechanic parts are far Superior compared to the canopy design.... Whatever, the F300BL is paradoxaly an amazing stable flyer much faster and wind resistant that the tiny 150 model.

UNBOXING AND QUICK TESING

ESKY F300BL Unboxing and quick testing (Courtesy of Banggood) (12 min 26 sec)

PROS

+ Beautiful design
+ Very stable (efficient INS stabilization)
+ Almost as easy to fly than a FP Helo
+ Great flyer with good fast forward
+ Good range control
+ Light for a 300mm size model
+ Silent

CONS

- Horrible battery connector location (need to remove/reinstall the front canopy part each time)
- Inverted polarity for the Lipo, be aware to not plug another model whithout checking
- Fragile canopy especially in the central frontiere
- Incompatible TX with the 150/F150 series Compatible TX; you need to press the right horizontal trim button of the left stick to enter in binding mode
- No dual rate There is a dual rate : turn on TX, push throttle up than turn on Heli. wait the Red led is flashing twice, then push throttle down

ESKY F300BL outdoors test (Courtesy of Banggood) (3 min 55 sec)

This Helicopter have been courtesy provided by Banggood in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thanks them for this attitude.

You can find it actually for 77 USD at
http://www.banggood.com/ESKY-F300BL-2_4G-4CH-3-Axis-Gyro-Scale-Flybarless-RC-Helicopter-p-938626.html
SeByDocKy is online now Find More Posts by SeByDocKy
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Nov 19, 2014 at 08:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2014, 12:38 PM
Joined Dec 2012
5,649 Posts
Reserved for photos, videos and mods
Old Nov 05, 2014, 08:36 AM
Yorkshire, UK
Joined Feb 2007
933 Posts
Thanks for your interesting evaluation. I'm thinking that there are a few reasons why I'd think twice about buying this. The access problem that you point out is somewhat off-putting, as is the fact that the tail motor is held by a vac formed shell which you demonstrate to be rather flimsy. However, the pod and boom version is likely to address the strength issue although the problem of accessing the battery connection will remain, and would be a constant niggle. Well done, also, on pointing out the reversed polarity. I know for sure that I would have fallen victim to that at some stage! I'm not writing it off as a future purchase. It's got some interesting innovations, and I'm impressed by your findings on the handling. At the end of the day, that's what really matters.
ranavalona is offline Find More Posts by ranavalona
Old Nov 05, 2014, 10:23 AM
Joined Aug 2013
26 Posts
Great review, as always
I wonder if these new Esky 150/300 heli's could be Deviated?

Do you mind if I ask , does this model have acceleromerers or is it standard 3 axis?

Thanks
Spoon68 is offline Find More Posts by Spoon68
Old Nov 05, 2014, 04:57 PM
Joined Dec 2012
5,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon68 View Post
Great review, as always
I wonder if these new Esky 150/300 heli's could be Deviated?

Do you mind if I ask , does this model have acceleromerers or is it standard 3 axis?

Thanks
The ESKY 150 deviation is done (working only on Devo 10 for instance)
If I have some time, I will sniff SPI date for the 300 series. I am sure, the difference are in the packet ID ....

I will check the chips installed ... if some accelerometers are also used.
Old Nov 05, 2014, 04:58 PM
Joined Dec 2012
5,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranavalona View Post
Thanks for your interesting evaluation. I'm thinking that there are a few reasons why I'd think twice about buying this. The access problem that you point out is somewhat off-putting, as is the fact that the tail motor is held by a vac formed shell which you demonstrate to be rather flimsy. However, the pod and boom version is likely to address the strength issue although the problem of accessing the battery connection will remain, and would be a constant niggle. Well done, also, on pointing out the reversed polarity. I know for sure that I would have fallen victim to that at some stage! I'm not writing it off as a future purchase. It's got some interesting innovations, and I'm impressed by your findings on the handling. At the end of the day, that's what really matters.
Thanks
Old Nov 08, 2014, 12:59 AM
Joined Dec 2012
5,649 Posts
BG announced yesteday spare parts for this helo

http://www.banggood.com/buy/ESKY-F300.html
Old Nov 08, 2014, 09:21 AM
Fueled by coffee & LiPo
United States, FL, Venice
Joined Apr 2014
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy View Post

Nice review... It looks nice, despite a few drawbacks, and spare parts shows BG commitment. But restock date is Dec. 3... Barely time for the mail to get it here for Xmas!

This would be my first FBL... I'm not an aggressive flyer and spend most flying time on the v912 and a few quads... Is this rugged enough to take some gentle "learning experiences" (OK, crashes... )?
JW57RC is offline Find More Posts by JW57RC
Old Nov 08, 2014, 09:36 AM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
4,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW57RC View Post
But restock date is Dec. 3... Barely time for the mail to get it here for Xmas!
Don't believe the restock dates, they mean absolutely nothing.

I waited 6 months for parts that were supposed to be restocked in a week.

Every week they would push back the restock date by another week, keeping you in perpetual anticipation.

They never did get the parts in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW57RC View Post
This would be my first FBL... I'm not an aggressive flyer and spend most flying time on the v912 and a few quads... Is this rugged enough to take some gentle "learning experiences" (OK, crashes... )?
Don't spend money on a scale helicopter unless you don't crash your pod & boom helicopters any more.

Then again, if you have lots of money, spend it. You can't take it with you.
Steve_ is online now Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Nov 08, 2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2014, 12:19 PM
Taiwan
Joined Apr 2014
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy View Post

Thanks for your details review and flight test.i agree the battery plot was very BAD.CANOPY will easy to get broken
May i know what is the meanning of " No dual rate"

BTW,ZDHB also provide parts for 300BL, Bros can ask them if BG out of stocks
http://www.zondahobby.com/product-de...sid=2&pid=1030

i have contact them by email directly, they said they have stock and the postal rate is acceptable form HONGKONG
lamlawrence3c3c is offline Find More Posts by lamlawrence3c3c
Last edited by lamlawrence3c3c; Nov 08, 2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2014, 01:24 PM
Im pretty dumb for an Idiot!:)
United States, CA, Redwood City
Joined Oct 2014
113 Posts
Good review. I agree with you about swash and control rods.They look very well designed(ofcourse its all realitive to price). Imo for the money quality of the bird looks good(maybe even better then some others).Other then tx not being "hobby grade"but as long as it works good thats what matters. Its doesnt look like a brushless motor. So i guess the BL doesnt meant Brushless. If i had to guess probably Barless,i dunno.For the money the canopy is pretty good looking imo, maybe not the strongest though .

You mentioned replacement parts.I like that,but i dont see main motors or tail yet on Banggood anyways.shouldnt need one but then again,anyone that has been flying awhile knows how quickly they can fail sometimes. Although i am sure you could get a similar and possibly more powerful motor from somewhere.

I guess mostly what i am wondering is.In another post someone said servo response felt slow in there opinion for the F150. Then again i think he had some higher quality cp helis so if the comparison was to those.Then its not really fair.

How is the F150 compared to F300 in terms of servo response?
DeAdOne is offline Find More Posts by DeAdOne
Old Nov 09, 2014, 02:19 PM
Fueled by coffee & LiPo
United States, FL, Venice
Joined Apr 2014
63 Posts
Zondahobby posted a video showing the F150bl and F300bl binding to the same transmitter. So if we can get this deviated...

How to bind ESKY 150 and ESKY 300 with one transmitter (1 min 26 sec)
JW57RC is offline Find More Posts by JW57RC
Old Nov 09, 2014, 02:33 PM
Yorkshire, UK
Joined Feb 2007
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamlawrence3c3c View Post
Thanks for your details review and flight test.i agree the battery plot was very BAD.CANOPY will easy to get broken
May i know what is the meanning of " No dual rate"

BTW,ZDHB also provide parts for 300BL, Bros can ask them if BG out of stocks
http://www.zondahobby.com/product-de...sid=2&pid=1030

i have contact them by email directly, they said they have stock and the postal rate is acceptable form HONGKONG
Most models of this type have a setting - or "rate" - for beginners, giving reduced servo response and fairly gentle flight, and a more aggressive setting for more experienced pilots. It seems that this one doesn't have that choice.
ranavalona is offline Find More Posts by ranavalona
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:19 AM
Taiwan
Joined Apr 2014
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranavalona View Post
Most models of this type have a setting - or "rate" - for beginners, giving reduced servo response and fairly gentle flight, and a more aggressive setting for more experienced pilots. It seems that this one doesn't have that choice.
I See, thanks for your explain. it will be good if the helicopter have dual rate=].
lamlawrence3c3c is offline Find More Posts by lamlawrence3c3c
Old Nov 14, 2014, 06:19 AM
Joined Dec 2012
5,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamlawrence3c3c View Post
I See, thanks for your explain. it will be good if the helicopter have dual rate=].
Well it's a plus. In another hand if this new protocol variation can be again deviationTX, we would be able to have this dual rate