SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 25, 2014, 02:31 PM
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined May 2013
75 Posts
Discussion
Hobby King Telamon Electric Sailplane Balsa Composite 1768mm (PNF)

HobbyKing Daily - Telamon Electric Sailplane (4 min 46 sec)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...68mm_PNF_.html

Ok guys, haven't found any other threads on RCG about this model. Lets get to it and share some thoughts, mods, pics and vids. I'm one of the guinea pigs just as you guys are. lol! Just received mine 2 days ago and had both ball link connectors broken off on one of the carbon pushrods. Anybody else had this prob? Haven't been able to mess with it much cuz work is a little crazy right now. Will post pics as soon as I can.
YFZ450MANNY is offline Find More Posts by YFZ450MANNY
Last edited by YFZ450MANNY; Sep 26, 2014 at 02:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2014, 06:05 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,230 Posts
I guess you mean this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...68mm_PNF_.html

Not all the readers here knows what is a "Hobby King"

You could be interested to hear that the users of the other glider from the same manufacturer, the Perseus, reported issues with theirs.
This is the manufacturer's site: http://contesthobby.com/
They are active in Perseus thread.

Waiting pictures with your broken connectors.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Last edited by renatoa; Sep 26, 2014 at 06:11 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 01:53 PM
Joined May 2013
75 Posts
Thanks for the info renatoa! I will post pics ASAP! As for the thread title, I don't have an option to change it even if I try to edit the post.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 02:07 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,230 Posts
No need to change, title is ok, I meant you should put the link to product page in the first post.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Sep 26, 2014, 02:47 PM
Joined May 2013
75 Posts
Done!
Old Sep 27, 2014, 10:42 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Australia, WA, Parkerville
Joined Sep 2011
1,426 Posts
This happened to my Perseus

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=29

I bought new carbon rods from my LHS and cut them to size and bound the thread and ball link to the rod like on a fishing rod runner, it is not a common problem cause no other Perseus has had the problem and I only know of it happening to one Athena which is made by the same factory, so good luck with your birds and I am sure it will fly as nice as my Perseus does.

Shaun.

P.S here is my Perseus video
Contest Hobby (Hobby King) Perseus Flights (9 min 46 sec)
Banjofrog is offline Find More Posts by Banjofrog
Old Sep 29, 2014, 06:45 AM
Joined May 2013
75 Posts
Thanks for the info Banjofrog! Hopefully I'll be able to start working on my Telamon soon. Have been super tied up with other priorities. Great video btw, love the audio tracks!
Old Sep 29, 2014, 01:46 PM
Österreich, Wien
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Hello Everybody,

I received a Telamon with broken ball link connectors last week. After unpacking the box I was on one hand pleased by the nice construction of this plane and on the other hand pied off by imprecise fittings of wing connectors and V-tail. In the first moment I really thought about sending back the whole plane, but then I decided to fix the problems by myself. I already had one evening of restoration work, but still have to fix the ball link connectors ...

Without those quality control problems this plane would be real plug-and-play as advertised, but not in the condition in which I received mine.

Now I'm looking forward to maiden my Telamon - maybe next weekend ...
Chill Master is offline Find More Posts by Chill Master
Old Sep 29, 2014, 06:36 PM
Joined May 2013
75 Posts
Yeah, I was surprised the glider had damage. The box it came in was super strong, double wall cardboard. I haven't even tried to plug the wings in yet. Haven't had time, but will get to it soon. What ideas have u had on how to fix the pushrod ball links?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 06:16 AM
Österreich, Wien
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Hello YFZ450MANNY,

the first picture shows the broken push rod connectors of my Telamon ...

The second picture shows my plan how to repair the connectors with some materials I have left over from other projects ...
  • My plan is to glue a 20 mm carbon pipe (outside-diameter 4 mm and inside-diameter 2 mm) on the Telamon push rod - 10 mm of the push rod go inside the pipe the other 10 mm of the pipe stay hollow ...
  • ... then to glue a 10 mm plastic push pipe (outside-diameter 2mm and inside-diameter about 1 mm) into the hollow part of the carbon pipe ...
  • ... and finally to screw the threaded metal push rod of the ball joints into the plastic pipe.

Let's see how it works out ...
Old Sep 30, 2014, 09:56 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Joined Sep 2011
1,426 Posts
Warning about the V Tail

Chill Master nice solution.

WARNING..............

Check that your V Tails are glued strong and that it is aligned square with the main wings, this issue has shown up on the Perseus thread.

Shaun.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:03 AM
Österreich, Wien
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Banjofrog,

thank you for the warning - I'm also following the Perseus thread and had I quick
strength test on the V-tail installation when I received my Telamon - looked ok to me
Old Sep 30, 2014, 07:00 PM
Joined May 2013
75 Posts
Thanks Banjofrog! I will do the same! Here are some pics of the broken pushrod connectors on mine.

Chill Master, great idea! Going to see if I have similar spare materials do do the same. I know I don't have carbon tube but will try to improvise.
Old Oct 01, 2014, 12:56 PM
Joined May 2013
75 Posts
So... What exactly is this "V-tail problem" I keep hearing about on the Perseus and Telamon gliders?
Old Oct 01, 2014, 07:36 PM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Joined Sep 2011
1,426 Posts
Some of the sections where they glued the back of the fuse to the wing section twisted during packing to one side and is not square with the wing, the reason is that the glue had not set, the other possible issue is when they glued the plastic tail joiner to the carbon fuse they did not rough up both sides before gluing and the bond is not as strong as it could be. I have detailed how to align the tail on the Perseus thread and the gluing of the tail joiner is real easy......... It is ashame these are not really PNP but it is worth setting up these gliders properly. I don't own the Telemon but the Perseus uses the same running gear but only a little larger than the Telemon, so keep an eye on the Perseus thread you may find some answers to issues you may have with your birds.

These are good birds and I feel worth the money, just need a little sorting out and if you are happy with your Telemons don't change a thing.

Shaun.