SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:33 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,503 Posts
I did my first full FPV with my Flip frame today. I'm using 750kv motors, 9" 3-blade props, 4S with switch mode SimonK flashed ESCs, and just threw on a 300mW, 1280Mhz VTx with separate 3S battery. I used my HD keychain camera for my FPV camera. It worked okay, but the colors were a bit washed out in my goggles. The video is from the GoPro V1 camera. My first flight with the frame and camera had a fair amount of jello. I reworked my prop adapters and balance and this time it came out pretty much jello free. I need to turn down my P a little more...got some frame twitching going on...but almost there. Here's the short version clip:
Flip Test 2 (0 min 49 sec)
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:53 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
flohio117's Avatar
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,652 Posts
Dang van you are so good at balancing your props I'm envious lol mine I try to balance but I know I'm not doing it right lol. Do you make it so that when you spin the prop it should balance out in any direction? I always add tape also I never scratch my props with sand paper. How do you do it.
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:04 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
Dang van you are so good at balancing your props I'm envious lol mine I try to balance but I know I'm not doing it right lol. Do you make it so that when you spin the prop it should balance out in any direction? I always add tape also I never scratch my props with sand paper. How do you do it.
For the 3-blades I usually sand the LE and TE to smooth them out a little, then balance with tape. For my 2-blades I sand the LE and TE to smooth them out, the sand more on the LE on the heavy blade until balanced. If the heavy blade is really heavy I 'scrape' the LE with an Xacto to take off more material faster, then sand for smoothness. I usually use 400grit wet/dry paper for sanding.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:04 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
flohio117's Avatar
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
For the 3-blades I usually sand the LE and TE to smooth them out a little, then balance with tape. For my 2-blades I sand the LE and TE to smooth them out, the sand more on the LE on the heavy blade until balanced. If the heavy blade is really heavy I 'scrape' the LE with an Xacto to take off more material faster, then sand for smoothness. I usually use 400grit wet/dry paper for sanding.
I'm sry to ask this newb question but what is LE and TE?
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:05 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
flohio117's Avatar
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,652 Posts
Also is a balanced blade sit perfectly horizontal on the balancer or should it just stop in any position on the balancer?
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:07 PM
flitelab's Avatar
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,259 Posts
It should sit in any position. If it only rests horizontally the hub may be out of balance.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:18 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
flohio117's Avatar
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,652 Posts
Ok that's what I thought how do you balance the hub though? Just sand on whichever side seems heavier? I need to rebalance my props. I wish they just had balanced props I could buy lol. Maybe I can start a business Notttt!
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:21 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
I'm sry to ask this newb question but what is LE and TE?
Leading edge and trailing edge.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:24 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
Ok that's what I thought how do you balance the hub though? Just sand on whichever side seems heavier? I need to rebalance my props. I wish they just had balanced props I could buy lol. Maybe I can start a business Notttt!
You can either trim some material off the heavy side of the hub or add hot glue to the light side of the hub. Balance so the blade sits still both horizontal and vertical.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:30 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
flohio117's Avatar
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,652 Posts
Ok thanks guys your awesome as usual. What should I order tommorow? 6xavroto motors or a apm2.5 with GPS current sensor and 900mhz thing? Reason I say tommorow or the next day is because I need tosee if swap my motors around on my y6 if the same motors will not start on the naza or if it is indeed my escs or not.
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:33 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2012
26 Posts
Naza gains

Curious what the Naza users have for gain settings. I've been messing with mine for a few days and there's just one gremlin I cant kill: oscillations with full throttle punch outs. Forward flight and turns are very smooth. I've been playing with the 4 basic gain settings between 100-170% and cant seem to kill the wobble while ascending.

Current settings:

160 150 160 150
135 135

My gut tells me its has something to do with the Flip arms flexing, but I'm a rookie when it comes to tuning. Part of me wants to swap out the flip arms for the HT-FPV arms like in this video:

Flip test 2 - a gentle thrashing...(long arm rebuild) (5 min 58 sec)


I hope that's not the only solution to the problem because I love the Flip arms otherwise.
JPV FPV is offline Find More Posts by JPV FPV
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:05 AM
I love FPV!
Cralis's Avatar
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
That was AWESOME flying!!
Anyone know where the video is of the quad the films the car sliding around, and a truck doing slides?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:09 AM
Registered User
Boris B's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined May 2012
858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
That was AWESOME flying!!
Anyone know where the video is of the quad the films the car sliding around, and a truck doing slides?
User juz70 on youtube
Boris B is offline Find More Posts by Boris B
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:39 AM
Videopilot
Derek_S's Avatar
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPV FPV View Post
Curious what the Naza users have for gain settings. I've been messing with mine for a few days and there's just one gremlin I cant kill: oscillations with full throttle punch outs. Forward flight and turns are very smooth. I've been playing with the 4 basic gain settings between 100-170% and cant seem to kill the wobble while ascending.

Current settings:

160 150 160 150
135 135

My gut tells me its has something to do with the Flip arms flexing, but I'm a rookie when it comes to tuning. Part of me wants to swap out the flip arms for the HT-FPV arms like in this video:

http://youtu.be/GkRWECYnEWg

I hope that's not the only solution to the problem because I love the Flip arms otherwise.
I dont see what makes you think it is arm flex? When I grab my flip arm and flex it by hand, it is super rigid. Very much more rigid than DJI arms, which many people seem happy with on their naza-controlled flamewheels???
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:18 AM
Videopilot
Derek_S's Avatar
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I did my first full FPV with my Flip frame today. I'm using 750kv motors, 9" 3-blade props, 4S with switch mode SimonK flashed ESCs, and just threw on a 300mW, 1280Mhz VTx with separate 3S battery. I used my HD keychain camera for my FPV camera. It worked okay, but the colors were a bit washed out in my goggles. The video is from the GoPro V1 camera. My first flight with the frame and camera had a fair amount of jello. I reworked my prop adapters and balance and this time it came out pretty much jello free. I need to turn down my P a little more...got some frame twitching going on...but almost there. Here's the short version clip:
http://youtu.be/Rw3B4A7zucg
What flight times are you looking at on that setup?

I put a 4s 4000 on mine this morning, and waas very surprised to find that the flight time was the same, if not a little less from a 3000 3s setup. Everything else was the same (10x4 props, 750kv 2830 motors). I dont have any 9" props, but thinking of trying some 8" on 4s just to see what happens, although I think 8" is gonna be much too small for the 750kv.

I really though going from the 1100kv and *" props to the 750 on 10" was gonna buy me some time, but so far all my tests (which basically just use the timer on the TX) show that the gain/loss of flight time is pretty negligible so far.
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Show Us Your Hoverthings FPV Frame scrape Multirotor Talk 2149 Apr 18, 2014 06:06 PM
Discussion Hoverthings quad flipping and crashing randomly? easymoney99 Multirotor Talk 9 Jun 12, 2012 03:17 AM
Sold Hoverthings HT-FPV black Lucasberg Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 3 May 04, 2012 09:10 AM
Sold Hoverthings FPV Quad Plug-n-play W/ Naza Blucross Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 1 May 01, 2012 07:26 AM
Discussion Test flight of Hoverthings.com FPV 'Ralphie' frame daign FPV Talk 1 Jan 16, 2012 02:27 PM