SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:15 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeDiver View Post
For me GA are still first choice, also because they are easily available in Europe. But 2nd choice would be the 40C Turnigy and the 'blue ones'. They are not better in performance as the 25C GA, but a good alternative. I like them much better then the Turnigy Nanos. Rhino b.t.w. is also solid as a rock. They stay good for many years if you tread them well.
But with all brands... you can run into a bad item. Part the game
I agree about Rhino batteries they do last much longer than other brands (even the expensive brands). I have a couple of them and they continue to have the same performance year after year.

Gens Ace do have better power but the ones I have donít last very long. Turnigy is the best compromise between cost, power and durability Ė I think thatís why they are the most popular.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:22 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Gens Ace do have better power but the ones I have donít last very long. Turnigy is the best compromise between cost, power and durability Ė I think thatís why they are the most popular.
How many cycles did you get out of your Gens ace before they started to die out? Did the IR increase significantly? Lose capacity?
Jetnfast is online now Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:09 AM
meridian, idaho
Joined Mar 2010
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I agree about Rhino batteries they do last much longer than other brands (even the expensive brands). I have a couple of them and they continue to have the same performance year after year.
I've had (2) Rhino's for almost 3 years now, and they are amazing.... Just keep working and working and working....

I also have a couple of newer Revolectrix batteries that I bought recently when I bought my CellPro charger. Those batteries have been great too, and they seem to have a little more power than the comparably rated Rhino's.... I just never see any reviews on them at RCGroups?
overthebars is offline Find More Posts by overthebars
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:22 PM
United States, OR, Molalla
Joined Oct 2010
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by overthebars View Post
I've had (2) Rhino's for almost 3 years now, and they are amazing.... Just keep working and working and working....

I also have a couple of newer Revolectrix batteries that I bought recently when I bought my CellPro charger. Those batteries have been great too, and they seem to have a little more power than the comparably rated Rhino's.... I just never see any reviews on them at RCGroups?
Do your planes have a lot of power?
jlloyd1995 is offline Find More Posts by jlloyd1995
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:57 PM
meridian, idaho
Joined Mar 2010
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlloyd1995 View Post
Do your planes have a lot of power?
I used them on a Parkzone P-51 with a Power 10 motor.
overthebars is offline Find More Posts by overthebars
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:41 AM
Joined Jun 2004
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetnfast View Post
How many cycles did you get out of your Gens ace before they started to die out? Did the IR increase significantly? Lose capacity?
I have 6 sets of Gens Ace 3300 packs bought about a year ago and all used roughly the same amount of times. Sorry I can't say how many, but less than 60 cycles each.

I stored them for 3 months over the winter period and now 4 out of 6 are garbage. Voltage after storage was a uniform 15v across all packs. They all charged up and rested overnight and maintained voltage. so I thought good to go......

Well now 4 won't sustain more than 7-10 amps before the voltage drops to 12v. Within about 20 seconds they will recover back to useful voltage.

Measured the IR, all packs showing less than 30 milliohms combined.
Dogzilla is offline Find More Posts by Dogzilla
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:41 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,256 Posts
man that sucks.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:45 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,537 Posts
Same observation on all the Gens Ace I have, 3300/3800/4000/5000 in various cell counts. They all would experience low voltage cutoff seconds into the flight now.

Agree with the Rhinos. I have some 3 yrs old packs that are still going!
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:00 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph280 View Post
Same observation on all the Gens Ace I have, 3300/3800/4000/5000 in various cell counts. They all would experience low voltage cutoff seconds into the flight now.

Agree with the Rhinos. I have some 3 yrs old packs that are still going!
+1 on Rhinos

I took a 3 year old Rhino 1250 3S 20c that's been in storage for almost 2 years for a spin yesterday. I didn't have a plane for it for the longest time, but recently picked up one of those pocket planes from banana and to my surprise that 3 yr old Rhino did just as well as a 1000 3S 45C nano. WOT is 19amps on this setup.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:44 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,946 Posts
Gens Ace do have the most power when new but you need to use them or they will go bad. Not sure why they don’t store as well as other brands. Maybe it was a intentional design decision to sacrifice durability for max power.

If you want long life Turnigy and nano-tech are good but Rhine are definitely the best for sport flyers that don’t push them to max C all the time.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:15 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,537 Posts
One brand that has impressed me recently is Haiyin. While I only have 6 packs so far of 6s-4000 to 6s-5000 varieties, they have been going strong after couple dozen cycles. But what impressed me the most is their customer service. When a pack arrived with issue, I received a response to my email within 24 hours, and a replacement was sent out the next day. Didn't even have to deal with the BS of sending the bad pack back. On top of that they have a dedicated wharehouse in the US, so you don't have to deal with insane shipping charges. These are now my choice for everyday flyers.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:52 PM
Only at 2D !!!
Canada, ON, Kingsville
Joined Apr 2012
25 Posts
Gens Ace lipo's are impressive at first .......then the 7 that I had all crapped out
In less than a year !
Our LHS owner says his 3 year old Zippy's are still working.
Going to try some Zippy's, and see what happens.
K3Der is offline Find More Posts by K3Der
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:58 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,256 Posts
One thing about China Hobby line compared to other brands is they have virtually every size and C rating combo, which is great.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:54 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,537 Posts
Turnigy nanotechs are like gens ace, good power when new but live a short life. Plus unlike the gens ace, they also puff when they go bad.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:08 AM
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Trainer plane View Post
Here's a video you might like then

www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_2VNe5I9Sw
this video is very good, i also use Gens ace battery 5000,50C,hardcase 10#.
fernchen is offline Find More Posts by fernchen