HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:33 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityevader View Post
Why wouldn't the carpenters wood glue work on CF?

It isn't a huge plane btw.
Tried it once. Peeled right off.
plane_tech is online now Find More Posts by plane_tech
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:56 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Same here. I'd go with epoxy, lacking thin CA. Just my limited opinion.

You can thin epoxy with denatured IPA? I'm about to use some 30 minute, all I have on-hand, thinner would be better!
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:08 AM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,222 Posts
Yep. I have done it a bunch of times when I wanted to just add a piece of 3/4oz to a balsa fuse for a little more strength. @ 4:1 (resin:alcohol) it will thin out pretty good. A very light sanding afterwards with some 400 and it is nice and smooth with some added stoutness...
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:31 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Thanks!

Bird of Time ARF repair updates: (Owl, this isn't the GL. )
I have the separated fuse top under wraps. So far, so good. Between two and four layers of lite glass, depending on where, plus three strips of CF tow across the split. Tomorrow will tell.

Now I'm sanding and cleaning the ribs, including the two that got removed. I have to admit some disappointment with the glue they used. It looks, smells, feels, and apparently holds about as well as school glue. Blech! Aside from the sheeting, NO wood was broken here. Well, and the TE, where the wing hold-down ripped it off.

I sincerely hope that two rolls is enough covering. I hope I hope I hope.....
Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; Feb 18, 2013 at 04:28 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:42 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Thanks!

Bird of Time ARF repair updates: (Owl, this isn't the GL. )
I have the separated fuse top under wraps. So far, so good. Between two and four layers of lite glass, depending on where, plus three strips of CF tow across the split. Tomorrow will tell.

Now I'm sanding and cleaning the ribs, including the two that got removed. I have to admit some disappointment with the glue they used. It looks, smells, feels, and apparently holds about as well as school glue. Blech! Aside from the sheeting, NO wood was broken here. Well, and the TE, where the wing hold-down ripped it off.

I sincerely hope that two rolls is enough covering. I hope I hope I hope.....
I loved my BoT (also ARF). There are known issues with the wood choice and grain direction in the center section. Be very carefull if you winch her up. That's why I electrified her.
In mine, in some places they used what looked like hot glue (!?) to fill gaps...
Also, spoilers are almost a must. She'll glide on forever when ground effect takes over.
But once up, she's a lovely thermal ship.
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:47 AM
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightowl View Post
Yo, peeps...

Who has a favorite adhesive for gluing the wing ribs to a carbon spar? I do not have any cyanoacrylate lying around, except tubes of plain old store-brand "crazy glue." Nothing specialized. And I really don't like using CA. But the ribs are going to be a very tight fit on the spar, and I don't know what other glue is even worth putting on it.

Thots?
Some ARF builders seem to get away with using chickensoup...

Or at least, that's what they seem to have used on my Fling 2meter wing...
I send them a very nice email about that, and they say they've send me a new wing...
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:11 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,220 Posts
Realized in the small hours of the morning (after I cut out the balsa for the V-tail on The Bug) that my Hitec Neon SS radio, which is only a 3-channel tx, but has V-tail mixing, got left in Kansas, and the only tx I have with me is my Futaba Skysport 4-channel. Sooo....

Gonna cut pieces later today (after I get some sleep) for a more traditional X-tail. I don't like the way the boom/pod join is, so I'm debating building another fuse.

But... everything is now cut and ready to assemble for the wing. If all goes well, I'll go ahead and build it later today (again, after I get some sleep.)

Progress proceeds!
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:43 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Did you know.... After making my last post, I checked back in an hour, and wondered why nobody was posting. Slackers!

Then I looked at the clock. It it were a normal work night, I would have been waking in an hour. I went to bed when the terrarium lights, on a timer, came ON. I did the morning misting and went to bed. Oh, bother. I'm gonna be cranky today. I'll just stay inside and re-build.

Ups, I have some 6 or so inch spoilers ready for action. I'm reattaching the detached ribs and sheeting first.

Guys, speaking of, I actually have a dilemma. The two pegs on the wing that hook into the fuse got broken off inside the wing. How on Earth do I drill those out? I'm afraid of the drill walking and eating into the softer balsa, especially since the broken dowels have rough, splintered ends. This is a gotta-do, unless ..... Should I forget it, and install one or two wing bolts instead? This way when it crashes again (being realistic here) there is nothing to snap off except nylon.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:11 PM
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,066 Posts
Instead of drilling it out, why not cutting a square piece out, and replace it with a new hard balsa one. Then drill a new hole, slightly wider then the dowel, and glue in a short piece of brass tubing. The dowel fits in there, and in case of rough arrivals will break off. I usually do a variation of this, by making the dowel thicker inside the wing, and sanded down thinner outside the wing, to facilitate a breaking point. I'll see if I have any pics of this somewhere.

Ah, here they are. These are pics of a Scratch I build a couple of years ago.
Last edited by Up&Away; Feb 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:13 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Ahhhhhh, I didn't think to just replace the whole mess. I can do that. Getting the exact location for the two holes will be interesting, without the tools I used to have, but it can be done.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:19 PM
sKrude up, Rejected!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2008
3,186 Posts
use a square to mark the dowel locations where you aren't going to replace the balsa, then transfer the marks back down onto the new wood.
DogFly. is offline Find More Posts by DogFly.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:28 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
D'oh.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:50 PM
Living in the south of France
Joined Aug 2011
492 Posts
Quote;
Instead of drilling it out, why not cutting a square piece out

If you pop in, i think that i have a square drill somewhere under my stock of Bacon.
paulinfrance is offline Find More Posts by paulinfrance
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:58 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,222 Posts
If you got one of these hiding, I would like to come and borrow it sometime...

Drilling a Square Hole (2 min 4 sec)
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:59 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Epoxy and microballoons, for the spaces not quite filled by the new plug.