HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:02 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
Beautiful sandman. What did you use to paint it?
yellowcolorado is online now Find More Posts by yellowcolorado
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:26 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
i decided to sacrifice a rare "hard to find " multiplex twinjet and convert it to a single jet .after readig through countless pages of how to reforce the ship with carbon rods . i did the mods neccessary for the ship to withstand speeds of around 130mph .i used more flat carbon fiber rods(strips) than tubes since i want to keep the ship unaltered , so all that was left was the electronics i went out and purchased a mega motor. i found it to be the only motor worthy of going into my favorite ship. this ship deserves the best parts i can get .so that is why i went all out ,
this is the set up im going with its a set im copying from a member here . MOPARARMY i saw a video on you tube of him flying a stryker with this set up and decided this is what i want not ludicrus speed but fast enough to wow the crowd.
this is the motor ,MEGA 16-40-2ce*
the battery im going to use 5s5000
the prop size ,im going to run 7x6
the ESC is going to be a castle 100 amp i havent purchased it.

im guessing i will hit around 130mph (im guessing that speed ,due to the fact that the frame isnt as streamlined as the funjet ultra . if my guess is right i will be happy since i really dont care to make it any faster than that . i have a couple of flyjet x83 that im going to install some sk3 1900kv motors in it for ultimate speed . .
* the motor will take a few weeks to get here. but im in no hurry to get it since this ship will only be flown on special occasions
AWESOME !!!!!!!
I am very happy that someone else will also be wearing a grin so wide !!!
I just wish you would have gone for the 16-40-F5Dec motor. Slightly hotter wind, and better performer !!

A 7x8 prop will get you 88 amps @ 170 mph pitch in flight straight and level with 5s5000 batts. Your 7x6 should have you somewhere between 60-70 amps straight and level in flight.

Looks wet still ................ NICE !!
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:37 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
AWESOME !!!!!!!
I am very happy that someone else will also be wearing a grin so wide !!!
I just wish you would have gone for the 16-40-F5Dec motor. Slightly hotter wind, and better performer !!

A 7x8 prop will get you 88 amps @ 170 mph pitch in flight straight and level with 5s5000 batts. Your 7x6 should have you somewhere between 60-70 amps straight and level in flight.

Looks wet still ................ NICE !!
reading too many pages on the mega motor, amp draw ,battery ect ect .going back reading again . got me sort of confused so i cheated and decided to go with what i saw on the video you got on youtube . i just order the motor from efflux , so if they havent processed the order i maybe able to change it to that motor your suggesting .thanks for the suggestion, i not to concerned about getting optimim performance out of the mega ,so if they cant change my order . i will still be happy since i wont be flying the ship as much . ,yea i know its a shame that it will more of shelf queen, but im more worried that if i crash i will lose a rare plane and not to mention expensive parts . well thanks to all the info and videos you have on the mega motor its helped alot on making the decision on the motor and esc.

as far as the paint .
belive it or not its not wet and i didnt use conventional paint . its colored with a red sharpie marker it took about an hour to paint the ship .and then i put a protective cover of mini wax. re colored over the mini wax with the red marker and then applied the mini wax over it again. the mini wax gives it the shine and prevents the coloring from fading .. the wax as you guys may know will not protect the ship against crashes .just against the paint chipping or fading .
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:07 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
You may want to "straighten" the elevons to reduce the models tendency to nose up at speed.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:17 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
You may want to "straighten" the elevons to reduce the models tendency to nose up at speed.

Jürgen
yea i am aware of that, i havent straighten them out yet .but
its is on my to do list , im just waiting on some parts , robart hinges, control horns ,esc and motor . thanks
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:20 AM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Looks good sandman

I started building another fj yesterday, had to use primer so the Fluorescent orange would pop

Need to buy more kits, anyone know when the white ones are gonna be available stateside?

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:11 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,647 Posts
I've just been directed to this piece of kit for getting in-flight data ((V,A,and W) http://www.4-max.co.uk/wattmeter-budget.htm , looks to be a handy bit of kit for anyone not using an Ice controller. Pity about the Deans connectors tho.
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:58 PM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Vid I took about a week ago with my FJU. HET 2w-30 on 4s. Camera used was my old flycamone2. I held it on with velcro and two rubberbands, so you can hear the rubberbands flutter some in the vid blocking out the motor/prop noise. Enjoy.

Funjet Ultra with HET 2w-30 (4 min 54 sec)
setxws6 is offline Find More Posts by setxws6
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:44 AM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2010
205 Posts
What speeds am I looking with this combo?
Himax 3514 2900KV APC 6x5.5E Pheonix ice 75

What battery should I be using?
Thanks!
zeus3313 is offline Find More Posts by zeus3313
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:29 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by setxws6 View Post
Vid I took about a week ago with my FJU. HET 2w-30 on 4s. Camera used was my old flycamone2. I held it on with velcro and two rubberbands, so you can hear the rubberbands flutter some in the vid blocking out the motor/prop noise. Enjoy.
This is the best video so far that shows the flexing thats happening in flight.
Watch the verticals, then you can look at the rear deck near the motor air inlet........... its all flexing with elevon movements !!

setxws,
What prop was on there and what kind of re-enforcement did you install for the left to right stiffener ? The stock rod ?
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:09 AM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
This is the best video so far that shows the flexing thats happening in flight.
Watch the verticals, then you can look at the rear deck near the motor air inlet........... its all flexing with elevon movements !!

setxws,
What prop was on there and what kind of re-enforcement did you install for the left to right stiffener ? The stock rod ?
The jet is structurally stock with the stock carbon fiber spar. I haven't added any extra stiffing. The setup is in the video description, it uses a 7x5 apc sport prop.

Going back and watching the vid I can see a little flex in the overall rear of the jet around 1:30-1:45 mark with some high speed postive g pulls. But I really didn't notice much around the motor air inlet, at least not severe flex, just some in the overall structure.

Give me you're ideas on what certain areas need more stiffing.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:41 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,999 Posts
I coat the entire airframe wit epoxy and give her the "old heat treatment" to stiffen things up.

I have heard that packaging tape does great as well

Keep your eye on the motor inlet, then look at the wing-fuse area with the verticals. I think that once you see all of those areas flexing as a whole, you will see more flex than you think you see
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:51 PM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Maybe a carbon fiber rod or beam in the rear section will help with this flex. Between the two vertical stabs...
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:15 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
I dont know, I would say, fly it stock, dont think anything will fall apart, I think if we all put a cam to look at our planes in action during flight, we would probably reinforce many things, maybee to much..

most important is how you have done the prework, and what glue you used to put things together, and if your hinges on elevons are taped, and maybee some reinforcment to motormountring, thats about it..... powers at 2.5kw and above maybee need something more..

Im not saying it is bad reinforcing things, but dont think its necsecery for your part..

Sebbe
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,425 Posts
Sebbe,

Good point!

Meanwhile, I'm still trying to relax after this mornings maiden!

A new FJU with fiberglassed body, A spec Nanotech 6s, Tgy SK3 with a 6.5² prop.

Still gets my attention 1st flight w/the A spec for me - hope it holds up. Sure worked well in flight.

ciao,
Mike
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave