New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2015, 01:03 AM
Find More Posts by jakebfpv
King of the Pencil
United States, CA, Oakley
Joined Jan 2013
25 Posts
Streaming FPV site

I was thinking it would be cool to watch other FPV'ers fly real time. Almost like Periscope or Meerkat for FPV flyers. The pilot would hook up their smartphone to their groundstation and open up the app (that doesnt exist yet). There would be a section for them to input as much or as little info as they wanted. Maybe flight location/airframe/flying type etc. Once they say ok it would simply list that flight link on a website (or app) for anyone to view real time. If the pilot is an area that frowns on FPV, they simply post completely anonymously.

As a viewer, imagine having a list of links to view FPV flights from all over the world. If its dark here in the US you could watch FPV flights over in Europe. I cant imagine this already being available and I haven't heard about it. Anyone like this idea too?

Oakley, CA
jakebfpv is offline Find More Posts by jakebfpv
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2015, 10:16 AM
Find More Posts by FlyingBryce
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Sep 2014
72 Posts
People already do it on but they are no longer allowing it. Also heard of people using periscope. But you could also use ustream. I doubt there will be a specific app for it as to have a reliable live stream platform requires a lot of infrastructure that our hobby cannot really support such a service I feel like.

Also many people fly in risky area's / altitude and a quick way to nab some one and be made an example of.
FlyingBryce is offline Find More Posts by FlyingBryce
Old Sep 01, 2015, 10:04 PM
Find More Posts by Daemon
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
30,891 Posts
Many of us have used ustream or before. It's not that hard. Just need a laptop, capture
card and something like Adobe Media Encoder (for best compression). I've done it on
as little as 200kbps upstream bandwidth, but it's pretty painful, and lags badly if you're flying
low and fast (high motion/high detail). 1+ Meg upstream makes things a lot more pleasant.

Wouldn't worry about someone capturing the stream and using it to get you in trouble.
It's all you can do to get a loyal following of a half dozen folks or so. It can be fun though
to chat with em live during the flight.
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon